Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headphone default output level

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magname

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Headphone default output level Reply with quote

Hello,
Does anybody find the default output level for headphones is dangerously high.
And especially when switching from speakers to headphones where the volume is generally set high?
And unfortunately, no default setting for this.
BattleCAT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically always turn the master volume to zero when cutting the synth on/off and ease it up to the minimal required to hear hoping to save my ears. When using external audio out jacks it almost always has to be turned up to a higher value than is safe while using headphones. If you gotta switch back and forth id always turn the master volume all the way down. You only get one set of ears! =)
magname

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have to be meticulous. It's crazy that keyboard designers may not provide a correction for the headphones and even be able to set a maximum in the settings. They know the risks perfectly. I find it outrageous
I guess maybe just a 600 ohms or maybe a 250 ohms is "safe" with this keyboard.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue for the manufacturer is the need to cater for a wide range of headphone sensitivities i.e. the acoustic sound pressure level for a given input signal. Older headphones (before the development of of neodymium or samarium cobalt magnetic materials) generally had weaker magnets, so needed a higher input signal to achieve a given volume (or SPL). Even for currently available headphones, the range in sensitivity can be well in excess of 30dB e.g. see:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-sensitivity-impedance-required-v-i-p-amplifier-gain.668238/

An inline headphone volume control is one way of reducing the sound level, if the headphones have a high sensitivity, and there is a need to listen through headphones whilst the output volume level is set for a PA system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: