Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strings instrument questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mason2015

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Strings instrument questions Reply with quote

Hi there, I am pretty lost when it comes to operating my Krome, but I think I have the basics down.

I am interested in playing some orchestral and string type music. The problem is that the string instruments all sound way too "electronic". They have sort of a harsh, "brassy" noise rather than a soft, "string" noise. Is there a way to alter the sound of instruments on the Krome so they sound more natural? A little more like an actual string instrument, maybe?

Plus, I want the notes that I play to flow better; I play the notes with the string instruments and they cut off really fast. I want the notes to fade out or echo for awhile after I let go of the key so the first note resonates while I play other notes.

Thanks a ton!
jameslol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmm.. I think Korg Krome may not get your demands in the term "natural playing". You know Korg Krome, or even Korg Kronos, Oasys, Triton sounds are so electronic way because they are all synthersizers. If you got me, try out the guitars, flutes, brass from Kronos.. they are all suck with the high-end flagship (I dont know why).
You may go to the music stores and try the Korg Havian 30 (an arrangement). There is movie strings, movie orchestra (what so ever they called) and the strings sounds are so realistic, the notes can be cut off instantly when you pull off your fingers out of the keybed.
I've spent nearly 25 years engaging with Synthersizers and Arrangement. And I wish one day Roland, Korg, Yamaha will make a Synthersizer that may play good acoustic sounds.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to edit the string Programs to have a slower decay characteristic. Look at the Amp Effects Group (Amp 1 EG and Amp 2 EG [for a two oscillator program]) in Program edit Page 4 (P4). There is a graphic on that screen which shows how the changes made affect the Amplitude over time. The parameters to change are called Release. There are both Time and Curve parameters for Release. It is also possible, on the same Program edit page, to set an AMS (Alternate Modulation Source) to affect (or Modulate) the release time. The AMS source could be set to one of the A or B switches, or the joystick +y or -y, or a knob, so the release time could be varied during playing. A reverb effect could also be used to give a slower decay to a played note. This may already be allocated to one of the Knobs. With the Tone LED lit, Knob 4 controls Release, whilst Knob 3 controls Effect Group Intensity, which could be reverb, but could be some other effect.

The Krome isn't strictly a synth, in that it relies on samples/multisamples for the basic "Oscillators" in a Program. The quality of the samples used influences the quality of the resulting sound. The basic samples are, intentionally, quite "dry" sounding. What the Program "does" with the samples can make them much more interesting and dynamic. The piano samples are particularly good, the strings less so, although there is still scope for breathing a bit more "life" into an otherwise seemingly lacking sound, e.g. by using an LFO to introduce e.g. vibrato, or using effects. Even adding noise, to simulate the rasp of the violin bow on the strings. Combining several different Programs into a Combi, could be used to introduce various elements of "realism" into the overall sound.

As with all manufacturers of these things, you get what you pay for. The Kronos strings are better sounding than the Krome, but to get strings sounding closer to the real deal, you still have to invest in additional sound libraries, using better samples. It is quite possible to spend many times the price of a new Kronos on additional expansion libraries. The Krome has relatively few expansion libraries available for it, and strings aren't well represented. Even in VST-land, string libraries such as EWQL Symphonic Orchestra aren't cheap, although I've noticed that EWQL have a 60% "lockdown" discount in operation at the moment.!! Oh drat, EWQL uses iLok, which can be a right royal pain. Ah well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: