Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving Styles / User Sound Categories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Saving Styles / User Sound Categories Reply with quote

I keep getting tripped up with Styles vs. Songs. I've gotten used to using the Songbook Set List, seems like the whole board is set up around that.

However, when I choose a Song from the SetList, it shows me, on the Main Page, KBD,SBook: XXXXXXX (name of song). If I then choose a different Style, does the original song get saved with this different Style?

The only way I've found to be without a "SBook: (name of song)" is to press My Setting. Then I'm no longer in a Song, and can work on Styles without getting it saved to a Song.

OMG, so many questions about hooking up songs I want to play with the Styles and Rythyms, but I have alot of groundwork to do still before I understand the machinations of this board.

Also, am in complete disbelief when working with Sounds. How is it possible that they didn't replicate the file structure of 16 different instrument groups? Instead, they leave you with only 4 generic Sound banks for storing custom worked Sounds????!!!!!!!! It's like a no-brainer, with so many Factory/Legacy/GM Sounds, you NEED 16 categories. As it is, it befuddles my imagination on how to organize 16 banks into 4 and be able to find anything. How is this even possible? Is it this way on the PA4X?

I am dumbfounded.... my previous experience with keyboards has always been about finding the best sounds and maximizing them such that I had the sound dialed in and organized.

With this keyboard it forces you to be in the arranger world first and foremost. It's been quite the adjustment. But I've never been so motivated to learn a keyboard! It feels like it was designed especially for me! Or people like me. It's like you can get immersed in the world of sound your creating, and so many ways of customizing it.

Speaking of which, I go round and round on which way to approach this board:
1. Spend most of my time auditioning, organizing and grooming the best Sounds and Keyboard Sets?
2. Spend most of my time auditioning Styles, groom and organize.
3. Spend most of my time auditioning Rhythms, groom and organize
4. Learn the different ways to play this board, and learn the basics inside out

There's many different approaches, but it's helpful to have fun Styles to play with AS you're auditioning sounds. So I think my approach will be to work with Styles and Sounds at the same time, they're completely interdependent. And the logical progression is to move from having well-groomed Styles/Sounds/Keyboard Set Lists to working with Songs.

Last edited by Randelph on Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... saving Sounds to 4 different sound bank, each with 16! pages. What???

Anyway- I don't like being lost, so here's making lemonade:
Using just the Sound Bank 1-4 tabs and the P1-P4 tabs, I'll have access to 128 Sounds (32 per Sound Bank), all of them just 2 finger clicks away.

Sound Bank 1: All the keyboard sounds including Organ, some synth
SB 2: Guitar and Bass, some Strings, some synth
SB 3: All acoustic instruments, some synth
SB 4: Everything else

All of which means, given that I only have 4 tabs of 8 Sounds per page, that I have to divide each Sound bank into 4 main pages.

Sound Bank 1: keyboard
First page: Pianos
Second page: EPs
Third page: Organs
Fourth page: Mallets, etc.

Sound Bank 2: pluck
1. Bass
2. Guitars
3. Plucky acoustic instruments
4. Synth plucky

SB3: Acoustic
1. Saxes/woodwinds
2. Strings / vocals / synth strings
3. Brass

SB 4:
1. Pads
2. Synth Leads
3. Ethnic
4. Drum and SFX
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicated post

Last edited by Randelph on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive renamed my user banks and direct banks to the same as the factory ones for both the keyboard sets and styles.

These are both saved as set1.set (user banks) and set2.set (Direct)

To be honest though I use the user banks as a sketch pad when creating keyboard sets I might say have 4 entries for a pisno set that will be different as I edit them I can refer back to the previous one if needs be.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
Ive renamed my user banks and direct banks to the same as the factory ones for both the keyboard sets and styles.

These are both saved as set1.set (user banks) and set2.set (Direct)

To be honest though I use the user banks as a sketch pad when creating keyboard sets I might say have 4 entries for a pisno set that will be different as I edit them I can refer back to the previous one if needs be.

NA,
Cool, didn't realize that was an option, to rename the Style and Keyboard Set List category names.

So you're saying you take a Keyboard Set and make all 4 sounds piano, for example, and then modify each one separately and then compare the results for which one you like best?

In my post I was talking about Sounds only having 4 User categories to save to, Sound 1-4.
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally use the songbook for the keyboard sets, but I also have access to the keyboard sets in the user and direct tabs if I need some extra sounds on the fly.

Yes I replicate the style and sound catagories in the User Keyboard Sets, And Direct Tab. The only catagories you can't rename is the user sounds (Unless the is changed in a future update)
MusicLover400

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question related to the sounds:
if I move a user sound from from one user bank or slot to the other Do I have to remap the style?

Best,
al
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusicLover400 wrote:
Question related to the sounds:
if I move a user sound from from one user bank or slot to the other Do I have to remap the style?

Best,
al
Yes If it's assigned to any Style Track or keyboard set.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you mean when you say 'Styles vs. Songs'? Are you talking about sequences and/or MP3 that you would want to use in Song Mode?

I have a PA700 and I have mine set up as follows:

Styles - both factory and user styles. For the most part, the User styles I have are reworks of the factory styles. I have renamed them according to the song I am playing and these get saved in the User section. I have 12 different categories for these styles. I have the last category open, so I can audition new styles when I download them from Korg's website or from other websites. If there is something I like, I rename it and save it in another category in my User section.

With regard to the STS settings for each style, ALL of them are custom STS settings associated with that particular style. I create the STS I want, save it in one of the 4 STS locations, and then save that to the style. This is also true with the initial Tempo and Pad settings. I have also saved a number of Keyboard Sets in the User section, because I use some of the Keyboard Sets in different styles and I simply go and choose which STS (Keyboard Set) I want in the style and save it in one oft he 4 STS locations.

My User Style categories are as follows:

Tab 1 - Nursing Home #1
Tab 2 - Nursing Home #2
Tab 3 - Blues and Jazz
Tab 4 - Rock and Funk
Tab 5 - PA500 #1
Tab 6 - PA500 #2
Tab 7 - PA1000
Tab 8 - Ballads
Tab 9 - Praise Music
Tab 10 - Band Stuff #1
Tab 11 - Band Stuff #2
Tab 12 - open for auditioning new style sets

Sequences - this is sefl-explanatory. I have well over 350 sequences programmed/saved on the MicroSD card I installed into my unit. I go into Sequencer Mode to program them and play them back. There is caution here though because I have had difficulty in playing back sequences that trigger external MIDI gear.

Song Mode - this is where the SongBook comes in handy because you can select either a Style, Sequence, or MP3 and play along with it in Song Mode. When adding a Songbook entry for a Style, you have up to 4 STS (keyboard Sets) that you can program with it. The same applies when using a Sequence or an MP3 file. Songbook is helpful because it also seems to take care of the external MIDI triggering as well. I can control my drum machine and other external keyboards in Song Mode when using a sequence and it triggers just like it is supposed to.

Sound Mode - this where I actually program specific sounds that I want to use in the Styles/Sequencer.

Keep in mind that if you program a certain sound in Sound Mode, it may sound different (due to the EFX) when you use it in a Keyboard Set in Song Mode, or it may sound different when you use it in Sequence Mode. In my experience, the EFX routings in Style/Sequence/Song Modes take precedence over the EFX that were used when in Sound Mode.

In my User Sound section, there are 4 tabs(I call them categories). Maybe we should have more than 4. I know that you can store more than 8 sounds in a tab. I think that it is 128 (12 or 16 pages under each Tab/Category). Tab (Category) 1 is for my custom sounds that I have programmed. Tab (Category) 2 is for the Dopamine set. Tab (Category) 3 is currently open. Tab (Category) 4 is for Reuben's Yamaha C5 Piano sample pack that I have installed. The Yamaha C5 Sample set is the additional bank of samples other than factory that are in my keyboard. That is not a bad thing, since the set takes up almost all of the available User RAM anyway...

It seems to work well for me.

While I like programming different sounds, I find that I more likely add custom EFX to an already programmed sound (factory sound). This is what gets saved as a sound(s) in a Keyboard Set that would go into a Style/Song. With regard to a sound in a sequence, I select the sound, set the EFX Routing to EFX B and add the appropriate EFX and the Insert EFX for that lead sound (or whatever sound it is). EFX A is designated for the backing instruments in the sequence.

I do not use the Direct feature with a flash drive because I have not played around with that feature yet. Maybe I will in the future. Right now, I use the flash drive as a backup for all of my sounds and sequences. If I had a failure before a show, I could load the Sequence Folder back onto the MicroSD card, as well as a Set I use with all of that.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: