Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg PA series - poor midi implementation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Korg PA series - poor midi implementation Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently busy with creating midi software that should be able to "talk" to different instruments via Midi interface. I tried a couple of functions with several keyboards, even some very old instruments from 80's and there were no big issues.
Yesterday I took PA4X from a friend and I'm really surprised that I cannot do some basic things (midi and not midi related) with such a modern keyboard. Still... it can be me, so please check if you know the following issues can be solved on PA4X (I believe it's similar on other PA series since I tried briefly some of them as well):

1. It's not possible to play upper (eg. 2) by external controller, but keep it muted when playing on PA4X keyboard. Setting track controls internal/external to ext does not do the job. Ext works only for midi out. For messages received through midi in, nothing happens, they are not played (Midi channel of received message matches midi in channel for the upper which I set in global configuration).

2. It is not possible to assign multiple tracks (uppers) to the same Midi out channel.

3. It is not possible to have different split points (key zones) for different uppers.

If you, however, know some of the points actually work, please let me know.
Note that I have OS version 3.0.1, did not want to update it to the latest since the instrument is not mine, but will do that if you tell me at least one point is solved with the update.
bin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved the first and the most important one. Smile

The upper should actually be muted and track control internal/external should be set to int. Not consistent with Korg workstations, but still good.
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can set multiple tracks to the same midi out channel and do multiple splits on the upper voices (use sound mode and set the key range and then use the octave and transpose (if you need it) to correct for octave differences because of the range changes
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Multiple tracks to the same Midi Out Channel ? Reply with quote

Aripearlmusic wrote:
.. you can set multiple tracks to the same midi out channel ..

I think that is a mistake, because using the Channel pop-up menus to assign instrument’s track to MIDI channels only allows one instrument to one Midi track.

It is possible to assign the same instruments track to more than one MIDI channel, but you can not assign more than one instruments-track to the same Midi-channel.
To have different split points (key zones) for different uppers is possible. Iin Keyboard/Ensemble > Range/Velocity page you will find to set Keyrange for playing KbdSounds of Upper1/2/3 in different zones of the keyboard. Use the TopKey / BottomKey parameters to limit the sounds keyzone.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Aripearlmusic
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can if you do the midi routing in the daw like a bus group but not sure why you would want to do that because you could always duplicate and merge channels no matter whether you are recording in a DAW or using the onboard sequencer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: