Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Volca Modular be controlled by the MS20 Mini via CV?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle_Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Can the Volca Modular be controlled by the MS20 Mini via CV? Reply with quote

Good afternoon all, I wonder if anyone out there can help me at all?

I recently bought the Volca Modular and (my bad) I quickly realised that it has no MIDI IN. I own several other Volcas which all have MIDI IN and I guess I just (foolishly, again my bad) assumed that the Modular would be the same.

I am completely inexperienced with CV, however I understand that it may be the answer to controlling the Volca Modular in a similar manner to MIDI. I also own an MS20 Mini and I note that it has a few INs and OUTs which relate to CV. Is it possible to connect the 2 synths together in such a way so that I can use the MS20 Mini to give me MIDI-type control over the Volca Modular?

I'm guessing that it can be done, but I must be honest - I simply do not have the technical know-how to make it happen. Any help would be enormously appreciated, thank you so much people.

All the best

Alex
slug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volca Modular is designed so you can trigger typical gate/pitch by using a TRS jack in the Modular CV input by (from MS20 Trig Out and Keyboard CV Out), but that is it out of the box.
Uncle_Alex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SO much for the quick response Mr Slug, it is much appreciated.

I think I understand what you're saying. So will I need to buy some sort of splitter cable so that the 2 cables from the MS20 can be simultaneously plugged into the CV IN on the Volca Modular?

Apologies for my ineptitude on the subject of CV.

Many thanks

Alex
slug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats right, it is basically an insert cable, but with 3.5mm jacks instead. One end is TRS, and the other is 2 x TS jacks. Its a bit of an oddball, i had to make my own.
Uncle_Alex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much Slug.

I got the cable from Amazon and I'm now up and running.

One minor gripe is that when I play a MIDI sequence and then press stop, the Volca Modular holds the last note played, and just keeps on playing that note indefinitely. I can work around it, but it does seem a little odd!

Alex
slug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm yes i just tried this and the gate is inverted, and I can't think of an easy way to change the polarity.

However I then tried taking the trigger from the EG1 output on the MS20 with both attack and decay set to zero - it works as expected as a gate on/off triggering the Volca Modular. Give that a go!
Uncle_Alex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a flippin' genius Slug! I don't know how you know all this stuff, but it flippin' worked.

Many, many thanks for your help with this issue - you've gone above and beyond sir. You're a flippin' legend. 10 out of 10, would recommend!

Alex Very Happy
slug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha no worries I use a eurorack setup so I already had an insight into how gates work, and it certainly helps that i work at a shop where i have MS20 and Volca Modular setup to experiment with!

Im sure you will learn a lot very quickly using these semi-modular synths, being that necessity is the mother of invention Smile
zaphod betamax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the Volca Modular be controlled by the MS20 Mini via Reply with quote

As long as its not pitch control.
The MS-20xx has Hz/V,whilst the Modular is V/octave.

Uncle_Alex wrote:
Good afternoon all, I wonder if anyone out there can help me at all?

I recently bought the Volca Modular and (my bad) I quickly realised that it has no MIDI IN. I own several other Volcas which all have MIDI IN and I guess I just (foolishly, again my bad) assumed that the Modular would be the same.

I am completely inexperienced with CV, however I understand that it may be the answer to controlling the Volca Modular in a similar manner to MIDI. I also own an MS20 Mini and I note that it has a few INs and OUTs which relate to CV. Is it possible to connect the 2 synths together in such a way so that I can use the MS20 Mini to give me MIDI-type control over the Volca Modular?

I'm guessing that it can be done, but I must be honest - I simply do not have the technical know-how to make it happen. Any help would be enormously appreciated, thank you so much people.

All the best

Alex
Bargibanti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: CVin Reply with quote

Hi there,

i`m getting a weird scale when triggering the Volca Modular via Midi and CV in
with two different Midi-CV interfaces.
Internal pitch offset is normal chromatic, other CV controll functions (filter, envelope, ect.) and gate are working fine.
Any ideas?

Thanks, Bargi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: