Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help finding Styles for Christmas Songs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Help finding Styles for Christmas Songs Reply with quote

I'm pretty stumped for this one. The whole idea behind this board is that you find the Style that is a match for the song you want to play (and of course the Keyboard Sets, but that's more self-evident).

For example, I'd like to play Christmas songs and I don't know the Styles well enough to pick out the ones that would be good. Of course, for some songs there are multiple Styles that would work.

This would be a good jump start for me using this keyboard. I've had a handful of arrangers over the year, but this one is first one that is so good I'm actually using the arranger. But, like I said above, I don't know the Styles well enough to know which Styles to pair various songs with. It would take me years at the pace I go to figure out which Styles to use!

Here's an initial song list of Xmas/holiday songs that I would love for everyone to suggest which Styles would work with each one:

My favorites:
- Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
- Let it snow!
- My favorite things
- Over the river and thru the woods
- Rudolph the red nose reindeer
- Santa Claus is coming to town
- Donna Nobis Pacem
- Dreaming of a White Christmas
- Jingle bell rock
- Silver Bells
- Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
- Let it Snow

Holiday favorites:
- Auld Lang Syne
- Deck the halls
- Frosty the snowman
- Jingle Bells
- Oh Christmas Tree
- The 12 days of Christmas
- We wish you a merry Xmas
- Here comes Santa Claus
- Frosty the snowman

I imagine some of these aren't really suited for an arranger, which has a steady beat going, like 12 days of Xmas.

And sometimes the full accompaniment isn't necessary, Drums and Perc only can be a good way to play some songs. I can already play most of these songs with two hands, so it'd be nice to at least have Drums as an accompaniment, but of course the full accompaniment is ideal.

Thanks!
Randy
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were freely available via internet a couple of years ago.
There may be some to your and others liking !!!

https://app.box.com/s/kc56l8u0s7z7pwy7524cwnegmjc6bpos

regards
John
ptine610

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Christmas Styles Reply with quote

Randelph,

I've only had the PA 1000 for a short time, and trying to figure the same. Here's what I've come up with that sounds good to me while playing...

Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Ritz Swing
Jingle Bell Rock - 50's Rock
Do You Hear What I Hear (not on your list) - Kids Movie Ballad (from a Korg download.)

Happy to hear what others come up with...
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Christmas Styles Reply with quote

ptine610 wrote:
Randelph,

I've only had the PA 1000 for a short time, and trying to figure the same. Here's what I've come up with that sounds good to me while playing...

Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Ritz Swing
Jingle Bell Rock - 50's Rock
Do You Hear What I Hear (not on your list) - Kids Movie Ballad (from a Korg download.)

Happy to hear what others come up with...

Thanks, I'll give those a try!
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MwH,
Really surprised you haven't shared in this thread. I imagine you're playing lots of Christmas songs for your seniors whether or not their religious. There's a fair number of 'holiday' songs that are not religious, many of them delightful to play! I imagine you're super busy this time of year, but if you get a chance I'd love see what Styles you're using for various Christmas songs!

Randy
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
MwH,
Really surprised you haven't shared in this thread. I imagine you're playing lots of Christmas songs for your seniors whether or not their religious. There's a fair number of 'holiday' songs that are not religious, many of them delightful to play! I imagine you're super busy this time of year, but if you get a chance I'd love see what Styles you're using for various Christmas songs!

Randy

You are surprised ? You haven't even bothered to say thank you to my link posted to Xmas styles. For crying out loud........

John
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsmies wrote:

regards
John

John, thank you! Have been busy with a move so not much on the forum, but I usually make a point of thanking people who've helped!

Haven't explored the Styles you linked to. Embarrassed to admit I haven't figured out the ins and outs of Saving All, where stuff is saved or loaded into, etc., still pretty confusing for me. As a consequence I haven't explored yet the numerous Styles and samples that are available! I don't want to make a stupid mistake and lose the customizing work I've done.

Randy
bellowsboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just spotted, thanks John.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
MwH,

Randy

Randy,
My apologies Smile Somehow, I must've missed this thread. I am in the season right now, and playing all sorts of Christmas songs. Just about everything I use is from stock styles. The only problem is that I renamed them so I do not know which Factory ones I used to make the custom ones Smile

There are a couple of styles in the PA that are for holiday themed music. I use one of them for Let It Snow. I modified it though because I needed a kick/snare in Variation 4 to make it move better.
I play My Favorite Things all year round so that was just a jazz waltz style that worked really well. I use a custom Jazz Guitar lead patch for that one.

I use the same style for Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph. It is a jazzy style and I simply use different lead sounds for the two songs to add variation. Between the songs, if I am actually performing a show (not to be confused with playing during a meal - I do not engage the audience while they're eating), then I will usually make a joke about Rudolph before going into the song (something like, "You know why Rudolph's nose is red and why he flies all over the place? It's because he drinks too much...") and then I will go into the song.

For Jingle Bells and Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, I use the Country Rock style. It is the same one I use for On the Road Again/Ghost Riders in the Sky/Folsom Prison Blues. I medley those, and also throw in Jungle Bells as well into that medley during the holidays.

For Christmas hymns, I will either play them live on a piano/strings set I made, or I will play along with my Christmas album that was released in 2003. I simply use a lead sound (Oboe/Flute/Strings) and play over what I played on the album. I have an MP3 copy of my albums/soundbeds on the MicroSD card in my PA700 so I can play along with them when doing shows.

I could create a saved file of my styles if you like. You could load them in and see how they work. You may also need the sounds/keyboard sets that I use as well in order for them to really work well, as I have created them. I will need a couple of days to send them up to Google Drive and create a link for you. I am working out of town today and tomorrow but have Friday off.

PM me, Randy, if you would like the files.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
johnsmies wrote:

regards
John

John, thank you! Have been busy with a move so not much on the forum, but I usually make a point of thanking people who've helped!

Haven't explored the Styles you linked to. Embarrassed to admit I haven't figured out the ins and outs of Saving All, where stuff is saved or loaded into, etc., still pretty confusing for me. As a consequence I haven't explored yet the numerous Styles and samples that are available! I don't want to make a stupid mistake and lose the customizing work I've done.

Randy

Randy, in your message here, it says that you were busy with a move. Did you stay in the Bay Area?

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Harry! Yes, I would love to have a file to know which Styles you've used. That is virgin territory for me, haven't really begun the extensive process of matching Styles with Songs!

Yeah, I don't know where I'll end up. Either some place north of SF for the nature, or southern CA for nature and family. I need to find a place by April, and am very limited in my funds. I've lived in the same place for 20 years and had a lot of room for storage, so there's a ton of stuff to go thru, sell, give away, etc. I need more nature and family, so I'll probably end up somewhere south of Santa Barbara.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Thank you Harry! Yes, I would love to have a file to know which Styles you've used. That is virgin territory for me, haven't really begun the extensive process of matching Styles with Songs!

Yeah, I don't know where I'll end up. Either some place north of SF for the nature, or southern CA for nature and family. I need to find a place by April, and am very limited in my funds. I've lived in the same place for 20 years and had a lot of room for storage, so there's a ton of stuff to go thru, sell, give away, etc. I need more nature and family, so I'll probably end up somewhere south of Santa Barbara.

Randy,
I will work on the styles/sounds/pads folders tomorrow sometime and they should be done by Friday, as I will have that day off (aside from going and meeting a potential 4-legged friend for our family. The main piano sound I use is the Yamaha C5 sample pack that Reuben has available here. If you load my sounds, then you may find that the lead pianos, unless you have the sample pack installed, will not work. You can simply load in the piano of your choice for those instances. I did not change the sounds in the styles that much, but I did modify the Upper/1/2/3/Lower ones to suit what I do.

I lived up in Lake County for about half of my life. I would think that anywhere in the North Bay would be nice, if not still really expensive. Even in Lake County it was prohibitively expensive unless you had a county govt job (or did not mind traveling for work).

Musically, it is kind of closed off, but when I was there, it was pretty vibrant. I was always gigging at the local wineries and clubs, but the pay was much better once I got closer to Santa Rosa and points closer to the Bay Area. I have been in Iowa for 20 years now.

I also ran a recording studio there and was very busy. There was a pretty major studio there (still there, I believe) and other smaller ones, but I advertised a lot and got a lot of business.

I am much more familiar with Northern CA than Southern CA. I did business in LA and Hollywood though and I found myself going there at least once a month to deliver projects.

To be honest, I am really happy in Iowa. Yep, it is much quieter here, but you can think here as well Smile Not trying to convince you to move to the midwest, but I understand when one has to move Smile

I wish you luck with your downsizing, sir, and if you ever want to communicate, hit me up here and I can send you my number for a phone convo. Going through years of collecting different things can be a bit stressful when having to liquidate.

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: