Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assign sample to specific key?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkrocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Assign sample to specific key? Reply with quote

So I have a sample recorded. I edited it down to what I want. It doesn't loop (also what I wanted).

But it's only letting me assign it really low on the keyboard. How can I assign it up way near the top?

I am just trying to add it to a combi, and it's just a one-shot I just want to be able to tap a key to hear.

Help?
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can assign the sample to the entire key-range if you wish (and set it fixed so it does not transpose)

If you assign it to a limited high or low key range, you can use it in a combi for a high or low key by transposing the program as needed (but there is a max value of 48 so don't assign it to C0 when you need it at C8

To save program slots, I made myself two programs with around 100 one-shot samples (looped and un-looped), and trigger them from combi's as explained above

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MultiSample Edit, page 698-699 of the Parameter Guide (latest version)

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Assign sample to specific key? Reply with quote

Monkrocker wrote:
So I have a sample recorded. I edited it down to what I want. It doesn't loop (also what I wanted).

But it's only letting me assign it really low on the keyboard. How can I assign it up way near the top?

I am just trying to add it to a combi, and it's just a one-shot I just want to be able to tap a key to hear.

Help?

Head over to the Multisample Edit page as AdDeRoo suggested. If you look closely at the Index field, you'll see that by default Korg has created 8 single-note zone indexes (it's this way on the M3 anyway -- probably the same on the Kronos by the sound of it). These default indexes (or zones) are preventing you from changing the Orig Key and Top Key settings on that first index. You need to get rid of indexes 2 through 8 first, so use the CUT button to delete all but the first index and you can then put your sample anywhere you like on the keyboard. I would recommend doing this any time you start working on a new sample.

Looping... you say you want the sample to loop, but at the end of your post you say it's only a one-shot. One-shots don't loop. In any case, to make a sample loop you need to turn on Looping and set the loop point on the sample. If you want the entire sample to loop endlessly -- and it sounds like you do - just set the loop start and end points to the same addresses as the sample's start and end points. This is done on the P2 Loop Edit tab. More complex looping is also available here... Sampling & looping is sort of a dark art... If you haven't spent much time sampling, it could take some time to get good results, particularly with loop points.

In order to put this new sample into a combi, you will first have to make a program which uses the new multisample. You can use the Convert to Program command to do this while still in Sampling mode.

You next need to specifically save your new Sample data or it will be lost when you turn off the Kronos. So make sure you do that too (you can wait until after you create your combi... but don't forget to save your sampling data later). If you want your new sample to be loaded automatically each time you boot the Kronos, there's a way to do that (must be a few dozen fairly recent topics on this in the forum - or you can check out the Parameter Guide), otherwise you can load it manually.

As for your program that uses your new sample, save that as well (or wait and do a Save All later after you create your combi). Since you mentioned you want to "one-shot" the sample but also mentioned that you want to loop the sample, if that means you want to press the key once and have the sample repeat indefinitely, then you will need to turn on the HOLD function in the program for that key. You will find that on the Program Basic tab in a program. You may need to adjust the filter and amps in the program, along with velocity sensitivity, etc. -- don't worry about FX if you're only ever going to use this in a combi.
pfrocha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Assign sample to specific key? Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Monkrocker wrote:

Help?

Head over to the Multisample Edit page as AdDeRoo suggested. If you look closely at the Index field, you'll see that by default Korg has created 8 single-note zone indexes (it's this way on the M3 anyway -- probably the same on the Kronos by the sound of it). These default indexes (or zones) are preventing you from changing the Orig Key and Top Key settings on that first index. You need to get rid of indexes 2 through 8 first, so use the CUT button to delete all but the first index and you can then put your sample anywhere you like on the keyboard. I would recommend doing this any time you start working on a new sample.

Looping... you say you want the sample to loop, but at the end of your post you say it's only a one-shot. One-shots don't loop. In any case, to make a sample loop you need to turn on Looping and set the loop point on the sample. If you want the entire sample to loop endlessly -- and it sounds like you do - just set the loop start and end points to the same addresses as the sample's start and end points. This is done on the P2 Loop Edit tab. More complex looping is also available here... Sampling & looping is sort of a dark art... If you haven't spent much time sampling, it could take some time to get good results, particularly with loop points.

In order to put this new sample into a combi, you will first have to make a program which uses the new multisample. You can use the Convert to Program command to do this while still in Sampling mode.

You next need to specifically save your new Sample data or it will be lost when you turn off the Kronos. So make sure you do that too (you can wait until after you create your combi... but don't forget to save your sampling data later). If you want your new sample to be loaded automatically each time you boot the Kronos, there's a way to do that (must be a few dozen fairly recent topics on this in the forum - or you can check out the Parameter Guide), otherwise you can load it manually.

As for your program that uses your new sample, save that as well (or wait and do a Save All later after you create your combi). Since you mentioned you want to "one-shot" the sample but also mentioned that you want to loop the sample, if that means you want to press the key once and have the sample repeat indefinitely, then you will need to turn on the HOLD function in the program for that key. You will find that on the Program Basic tab in a program. You may need to adjust the filter and amps in the program, along with velocity sensitivity, etc. -- don't worry about FX if you're only ever going to use this in a combi.

HardSync

Thanks for the explanation. I managed to do it all the way to the "Hold" function... but how do I make the sample stop looping now?...

Thanks again for your help!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Assign sample to specific key? Reply with quote

pfrocha wrote:
HardSync

Thanks for the explanation. I managed to do it all the way to the "Hold" function... but how do I make the sample stop looping now?...

Thanks again for your help!

One way to do it is to set the program to Monophonic, and to limit the Hold to only the key that has the sample that will be playing/looping continuously. Be warned, though, that this is an abrupt stop and you might not like the effect.

For example, let's say you've put your looped sample to play on key C#2. In your program, on the Program Basic screen set both the Hold Bottom and Top to C#2. Also, set the Voice Assign Mode to Mono on this screen.

Now when you play your sample on key C#2, you can shut it off with any other key. When you put this program into a combi, you'll want to limit the key range for this program to only two keys, for instance you could set the zone Bottom Key to C2 and the zone Top Key to C#2. This means that the C2 key will stop the sample from playing.

Another option is to not use a program but instead put your sample into a custom/user drum kit, where you can use the Exclusive Group setting to use any key you like to turn off the sample.

There's probably a few other ways to do it... like setting a controller to reduce the amp volume, but the sample will still be playing even though you don't hear it.

And if you don't want to do any of the above, you can use the combi's Tone Adjust mode to turn off Hold, too.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Assign sample to specific key? Reply with quote

Please disregard - After some more searching - I found this

Worked Great!!!

Thanks Dr Dan

[/quote]

As for your program that uses your new sample, save that as well (or wait and do a Save All later after you create your combi). Since you mentioned you want to "one-shot" the sample but also mentioned that you want to loop the sample, if that means you want to press the key once and have the sample repeat indefinitely, then you will need to turn on the HOLD function in the program for that key. You will find that on the Program Basic tab in a program. You may need to adjust the filter and amps in the program, along with velocity sensitivity, etc. -- don't worry about FX if you're only ever going to use this in a combi.[/quote]

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: