Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EK-50 Cannot Save Sounds to Registration Memory / Set List

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrkram

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: EK-50 Cannot Save Sounds to Registration Memory / Set List Reply with quote

I recently purchased the EK-50 IN (Same as EK-50 but with additional Indian Styles & Sounds)

It includes over 702 Sounds.

How does one store those 700+ sounds into the Set List / Registration bank.

The only way to access these 700+ sounds is to press one of the Keyboard Part buttons while keeping the Shift key pressed.

Though we can select one of the 700 sounds it does not permit saving any one of them to the Set List or Registration Memory.

Only those sounds (max 200) which are pre-programmed into the Keyboard sets can be stored in the Set List.

The user manual does not mention how to store one of those 700 sounds and access them easily while performing live.

Appreciate some help/tips on how to resolve this.

Thanks
Manoj
Backpool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - Not really noticed this on mine, it usually just saves whatever settings you have in current use.

I know on an early firmware up-date they changed the 'save' function to include more functions. Maybe worth checking your up to the current version and see if that solves your problem.
I am not handy to my EK50 at the mo. so cant test what your issue out.

Hope you get sorted, if not and it turns out not to be a firmware issue, then run it past support dept at Korg. they are most helpful.

Regards - keith
mrkram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: EK-50 Cannot Save Sounds to Registration Memory / Set Li Reply with quote

Update: Here is the exact sequence of the problem. Extremely tedious way of saving Sounds and further the display shows the wrong sound while playing the modified sound!!

1. The procedure to save one of the 702 sounds into a Bank is extremely time consuming, tedious and also not working properly:

a. To save one of the 702 sounds one needs to modify one of the Keyboard parts (Upper 1 / Upper 2 / Upper 3) of a Keyboard set
b. One has to press Shift key and then press Upper Part 1/2/3 and then select one of the 702 sounds.
c. One has to ensure all other layers/parts are OFF otherwise multiple sounds are played together.
d. Even after saving the newly selected sound of the Upper part to one of the Banks, the new sound name does not appear on the display.
e. If I have saved 8 such different sounds in 8 different banks, when one recalls that bank it does not display the name of the sound that was modified but only shows the sound in the original Keyboard set. This makes it impractical to use during performances – the display shows some other sound while the keyboard is playing some other sound – a serious flaw

2. There is no option to show/display which sounds are programmed into each of the three upper parts and one lower part of each keyboard set. Only Upper Part 1 sound is displayed.

3. The Bank saving option by default saves the Style as well as the Sound. There is no way to save only the Sound w/o saving the Style or only the Style w/o saving the Sound

This is a major limitation because during performances one needs to play say 5 different styles with say 6 different sounds commonly used across all 5 styles. To do this on EK-50IN one needs to programme 30 memory locations (5x6) using the above complicated procedure, whereas on other make (Roland, Yamaha, Casio) keyboards this is possible using only 6 memory locations and very easily with min key presses. On other make keyboards, this makes it more user friendly and intuitive and quick when switching between sounds while playing one style but in the Korg EK-50IN it is very cumbersome and waste/duplication of memory locations.

Has anyone else faced similar problems with EK-50

mrkram wrote:
I recently purchased the EK-50 IN (Same as EK-50 but with additional Indian Styles & Sounds)

It includes over 702 Sounds.

How does one store those 700+ sounds into the Set List / Registration bank.

The only way to access these 700+ sounds is to press one of the Keyboard Part buttons while keeping the Shift key pressed.

Though we can select one of the 700 sounds it does not permit saving any one of them to the Set List or Registration Memory.

Only those sounds (max 200) which are pre-programmed into the Keyboard sets can be stored in the Set List.

The user manual does not mention how to store one of those 700 sounds and access them easily while performing live.

Appreciate some help/tips on how to resolve this.

Thanks
Manoj
Backpool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I use an EK50 in tandem with another keyboard just for upper voice variations - on the fly. I have saved ( 10 x 4 ) 40 voice settings to the 10 banks and these seem to play back fine as per saved for me.

I dont seem to have this issue, it saves whatever setting is currently in use. When I use the EK50 on its own, with styles saved, again seem to work fine.

sorry your having this problem - can i ask again - are you up to the 'current' version with your OS ??? as i said earlier they have made some changes in recent up-dates to improve the 'save' function.
mrkram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
My software version is 2.5IN

Backpool wrote:
Hi

I use an EK50 in tandem with another keyboard just for upper voice variations - on the fly. I have saved ( 10 x 4 ) 40 voice settings to the 10 banks and these seem to play back fine as per saved for me.

I dont seem to have this issue, it saves whatever setting is currently in use. When I use the EK50 on its own, with styles saved, again seem to work fine.

sorry your having this problem - can i ask again - are you up to the 'current' version with your OS ??? as i said earlier they have made some changes in recent up-dates to improve the 'save' function.
Backpool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current UK/US version is 2.4 as far as i am aware. this was available in July this year.

It would appear you are on a different version with your IN model ??? which might be quite different to one we use here.

I would contact Korg Support for advice as i said earlier, they WILL be able to help.
I personally do not seem to experience 'some' of your issues with the UK/US 2.4 version but can only speak from personal experience.

I have asked a friend to have a look at this post, he is very savvy around the EK50. will see what he says.

I take your point on the fact the screen does not change settings and it is difficult to edit settings. This board though is not an arranger and is 'entry level' and as such is simply called an 'entertainer' board, designed to play 'as is' It is very ''plug and play' to use out of the box and there are therefore many limitations with regard to its editing abilities. Maybe for your needs the PA300 might be a better option.

As i use it in tandem with a Yamaha, I simply manage with the 40 voice sets and if you save this on 'split' adjust the octave it acually gives you 80 different voice settings on the fly, which i do find good. Again, maybe this would be an option for you with another model.

good luck with it - Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG EK Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: