Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voip,

Thanks for your advice - that's kind of you. I did try to delete three of them. I found that I couldn't delete the first three, because they were deemed to have been replied to by the next copy of it. For some reason that I can't figure, I couldn't even delete the last of the four, hence my subsequent apology. I really have no idea what went on there - it's not happened before, and I only clicked 'submit' once. Weird...

Anyway, for those of you who are interested in this synth, here's a link to a demo by a guy who has been a demonstrator for Korg over here in the UK for a long time now, and he's somebody who I have found to be a source of good and useful information - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NVBHmQfRw. At any rate, it's good not to have one of those videos where some guy is just banging out a generic four-bar House loop on the shiny new thing he bought yesterday. You can start to get some idea of its musical potential.
yeskeys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely zero fear or missing out on this new wavesequencer. We already have this in our beloved and mighty Kronos.

Maybe not all the exact bells and whistles, but enough to keep my occupied for several years...
Korg Karma module, Kronos61, SEQUENTIAL PRO3, DSI OB6, Oberheim OB8, XStation25, Yamaha MFC (for Karma Pads), Omnisphere, guitars by Tom Anderson, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, D'Angelico, Parker, Line6, Guitar Processors by Fractal Audio, Amplification by Mesa, Carvin, w/Celestion V30(!)
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeskeys wrote:
I have absolutely zero fear or missing out on this new wavesequencer. We already have this in our beloved and mighty Kronos.

Maybe not all the exact bells and whistles, but enough to keep my occupied for several years...

Possibly even a lifetime!

The part of the Wavestate that calls out to me even more than the new advanced features like lane per parameter is the tactile interface - all the dedicated knobs and buttons.

I've done less "sound design" on Kronos than I thought I would have at this point. Part of that has been learning curve of the beast, of course. The other thing is that even though there is a pretty good control surface given the huge number of parameters in it, I look over at my Eurorack gear which is a lot closer to one-knob-per-function, and it's a lot more inviting when I'm thinking about creating a sound from scratch. The Wavestate looks like it could potentially be a joy from that perspective.

That said, its definitely not a Kronos replacement and I'm not sure I could justify having both to myself.

Wonder if we might see a few of the next-gen wave sequencing features trickle in through a Kronos firmware update, assuming they are planning on keeping the Kronos as the flagship model for a while yet... That's probably greedy but a guy can dream, right? Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
[qu

That said, its definitely not a Kronos replacement and I'm not sure I could justify having both to myself.

Wonder if we might see a few of the next-gen wave sequencing features trickle in through a Kronos firmware update, assuming they are planning on keeping the Kronos as the flagship model for a while yet... That's probably greedy but a guy can dream, right? Smile

I had a similar thought. In my perfect world, Korg offered up a WaveState equivalent in Kronos 3, similar to a Wavestate engine.

If you look at the spec, I think Wavestate is resource hungry. I don't see it smooshed into our current Kronos.

What I find interesting, is the new products show Korg's priorities. A cool thing is that Korg is showing off its veteran sound development/programming talent.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I had a similar thought. In my perfect world, Korg offered up a WaveState equivalent in Kronos 3, similar to a Wavestate engine.

If you look at the spec, I think Wavestate is resource hungry. I don't see it smooshed into our current Kronos.

What I find interesting, is the new products show Korg's priorities. A cool thing is that Korg is showing off its veteran sound development/programming talent.

My gut tells me that a few additional low frequency modulations like separating a few sequencer params into distinct lanes wouldn't take a ton of CPU. There could be other complications though, like it would probably break existing wave sequences without some kind of legacy mode or auto-conversion...

Not to mention it would create competition for a brand new product. Of course if someone is looking at Wavestate and buys a Kronos instead, Korg probably wins. It would probably further deter existing Kronos buyers from adding a Wavestate, though.

Agree on Korg's sound design team - they have some great talent! (Really lots of great talent at Korg across the board). Good to see them launch something unique and on the higher end of the spectrum into the marketplace this year.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
GregC wrote:

My gut tells me that a few additional low frequency modulations like separating a few sequencer params into distinct lanes wouldn't take a ton of CPU. There could be other complications though, like it would probably break existing wave sequences without some kind of legacy mode or auto-conversion...

Not to mention it would create competition for a brand new product. Of course if someone is looking at Wavestate and buys a Kronos instead, Korg probably wins. It would probably further deter existing Kronos buyers from adding a Wavestate, though.

Agree on Korg's sound design team - they have some great talent! (Really lots of great talent at Korg across the board). Good to see them launch something unique and on the higher end of the spectrum into the marketplace this year.

I'm sorry if I repeat what I said in other posts : the Wavestate has a real and serious market new contender : the Modal Argon 8. With its aftertouch, audio in entry, morphable osc and filter...and a lower price....I'm quite sure many people would have some difficulties to make a choice between the both.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the Argon 8 doesn't even come close to the Wavestate, from where I'm listening.

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Hmm, the Argon 8 doesn't even come close to the Wavestate, from where I'm listening.

Well, that's not my opinion, from what I've heard. It's really a matter of personnal taste !
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
yeskeys wrote:

The part of the Wavestate that calls out to me even more than the new advanced features like lane per parameter is the tactile interface - all the dedicated knobs and buttons.

I've done less "sound design" on Kronos than I thought I would have at this point. Part of that has been learning curve of the beast, of course. The other thing is that even though there is a pretty good control surface given the huge number of parameters in it, I look over at my Eurorack gear which is a lot closer to one-knob-per-function, and it's a lot more inviting when I'm thinking about creating a sound from scratch. The Wavestate looks like it could potentially be a joy from that perspective.

Absolutely agree with you. Though, I can imagine that people who don't have the chance to have an Osasys or a Kronos could be interested in it.

Unfortunaltely, I'm afraid Korg will go on selling Kronos as it is, until people stop buying it. And then, Korg will finnaly get rid of it.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong !
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
yeskeys wrote:

Absolutely agree with you. Though, I can imagine that people who don't have the chance to have an Osasys or a Kronos could be interested in it.

Unfortunaltely, I'm afraid Korg will go on selling Kronos as it is, until people stop buying it. And then, Korg will finnaly get rid of it.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong !

I think we have been on target on the Korg Kronos guessing game. And I have little to no interest on Korg's new products for 2020, so far- possibly we have seen all the new product announcements.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting too are the VST instruments Arp Odyssey Korg V 1a and the Triton VSTi also
Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt we will see any new things comming for the Kronos line. IF Korg is working on a new workstation, it will most likely be something completely new. They most likely have something up their sleeves for 2021 or 2022, as the Kronos LS and SE seems to have been "Same old stuff" with a keybed variation, a paint job and "1" new SGX Piano sound. Seems to me they just wants to keep the Kronos scene interested just enough to keep it alive a couple years more untill they have the next gen. ready. And like pointed out before noone really thaught Korg would have anything to compete with the Fantom this year .. maybe next year !!
We can just hope they actually reads these boards and listens to what people would like to see in a new workstation product. Smile
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I think we have been on target on the Korg Kronos guessing game. And I have little to no interest on Korg's new products for 2020, so far- possibly we have seen all the new product announcements.

Agree Greg. As many others, I've been playing at this Kronos guessing game for some years. But now, it's over for me !!
Nothing new will never come for us, as Kronos' users.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:
I seriously doubt we will see any new things comming for the Kronos line. IF Korg is working on a new workstation, it will most likely be something completely new. They most likely have something up their sleeves for 2021 or 2022, as the Kronos LS and SE seems to have been "Same old stuff" with a keybed variation, a paint job and "1" new SGX Piano sound. Seems to me they just wants to keep the Kronos scene interested just enough to keep it alive a couple years more untill they have the next gen. ready. And like pointed out before noone really thaught Korg would have anything to compete with the Fantom this year .. maybe next year !!
We can just hope they actually reads these boards and listens to what people would like to see in a new workstation product. Smile

Yes, we can almost rule out a new premium full featured synth keyboard at this point.

Based on history, we might have some new 3rd party/Korg sounds by Jan 31.
Or a some kind of OS update.

Sort of like Korg tossing a treat to us hungry Kronos owners.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Yes, we can almost rule out a new premium full featured synth keyboard at this point.

Based on history, we might have some new 3rd party/Korg sounds by Jan 31.
Or a some kind of OS update.

Sort of like Korg tossing a treat to us hungry Kronos owners.

Man, I would love to see some kind of OS feature update for Kronos and at least a small dog and pony show for it at NAMM.

Part of me feels greedy for even wishing it. There's already so much on tap. And as others have said, most Kronos users have probably not even explored 5% of what their Kronos can do. I'd like to think I've done a little better. Maybe 6-7%. Smile

On the other hand, it is still their flagship workstation offering and still a strong competitor in that market space. The rest of the big 3 are advancing their workstation offerings and are catching up a bit, and exceeding in specific areas. Would be nice for the K to get a little bit of love. It's been stagnant for a few years now outside of sound packs and paint jobs. Korg R&D has been cranking it up for 2020. Would be awesome if a little of this went into Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: