Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA700 vs PA 1000 : keybed différence ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: PA700 vs PA 1000 : keybed différence ? Reply with quote

Hello

I'am new on this forum and have a first question about Korg PA.

Having sold my EK50, I want to buy a new arranger keyboard and I hesitate between the PA700 and the PA1000. I live far from a music store so it is not possible for me to try them.
Apart from the technical characteristics is there a difference at the level of the keybed itself between PA700 and PA1000 ; does they have the same feeling ?

Thank you in advance for your answers
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keybeds are different. The PA1000 has aftertouch and a nicer feel.

I have a PA700 and the action is fine for me. I use mine many hours a day and while it is not as good as the higher models, it is fine. I have adapted to it and it feels fine for me.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
gwc uk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thin metal plate bonded under each white key on Pa1000, helps towards a different feel.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pa1000, haven't played the 700 enough to compare.

While the feel of the 1000 is decent, it's middle of the road, have had much nicer feeling keybeds, including the Korg M3.

The aftertouch is pretty good, it's not just a switch, you can get some expressiveness out of it, but again, I've used better.

As you play deeper on the keys, it gets harder to press. This is my number one complaint about the 1000, which I mostly love to bits otherwise. It slows me way down. I can imagine that others with stronger fingers or different ways of positioning their hands on the keybed would have different results than myself. Feel a bit cheated to have a $2,000 keyboard that has a hard-to-play keybed.

I haven't heard anyone else complain about this, so YMMV.
ime95mos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the PA1000 keybed compare to PA4X?
Are they different?
export-B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference, of course. The keys on the PA4X are a little heavier, but one gets used to those lighter keys. Responsiveness is acceptable. A true professional will also make a quality appearance on the PA1000.
Polysix, Poly 800, DW6000, DW8000, DS8, M1, PA1X Pro, PA2X Pro, Kronos X 61, PA3X Pro, PA3X LE, PA700, PA4X 76, PA1000, Kronos SE and now Nautilus 73 and Casio PXS3000, Cubase 12, NI Ultimate 12, Komplete Kontrol S49,ReFX 3.0,Roland FR1X.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

export-B wrote:
There is a difference, of course. The keys on the PA4X are a little heavier, but one gets used to those lighter keys. Responsiveness is acceptable. A true professional will also make a quality appearance on the PA1000.

Yeah, maybe, but FOR ME, the keybed on the Pa1000 slows me way down. Are you a true professional export-B? What does it matter what a pro would do with this keybed? Very few of us are in that league.

I think as I've gotten older and stiffer and less energetic the keybed is more important. In past years I didn't notice when a keybed was more difficult to play up closer to the fall board, now I do. Everyone is different.

I remember playing this Yamaha slab piano with 88 keys. Worst keybed ever, I made TWICE as many mistakes playing it because of its sloppy action.

Then there was the time I played this beautiful Steinway D. Wow, so responsive, such a joy to play, inspiring.

At the other other forum I frequent, Keyboard Corner, you hear this all the time. Some folks adapt easily or over time to a keybed, others are not as adaptable and it throws them off. Many of the folks on that forum ARE pros. It just goes to show, we're all different.

Based on the dozen + keyboards I've had over the years, I'd personally rate this one as 6.5-7.5 out of 10, which is to say, overall, not bad. There are some atrocious keybeds out there!

Randy
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the posts (including my own), I would submit the following:

I sometimes think that there is too much emphasis placed upon the keybeds of different keyboards without actually TRYING one. The simple matter is to play it and see if it works for you.

I have played on bad keybeds and GREAT ones. I must have the ability to adapt, because while some of the keybed actions on lower end keyboards may be pretty bad, I tend to find my way around them all.

Most of these types of keybeds are not weighted and some of them are semi-weighted. Weighted boards can vary, but unless you are willing to spend money on something high-end with wooden keys and such, we are going to have to adapt.

When I began my classical training as a child, I learned on my old Wurlitzer Spinet piano. It's action was all I knew until I went to recitals and I got to play a baby grand or a grand.

I have played keybeds on $100 keyboards and have also played on six-figure concert grand pianos. NOTHING I have is going to feel like one of those expensive units (unless I buy one and that is NOT in the cards right now). I have keyboards that are 30 years old (Ensoniq VFX and VFX-SD) and while they are clacky and well worn, I can still play on them with a high amount of expressiveness (some of that is thanks to the aftertouch it has). I also have a NICE weighted unit (basically a Kawai and they're known for their action) and I can play piano well on it.

I make the action on the Pa700 work. If I need more velocity, I play harder. I imagine that I would do the same on a Pa1000 or PA4X (although I would put the aftertouch to use for some things).

Asking one's opinion on the action of a keyboard is subjective, at best. The only way to tell if it works is to try it and see how it feels for you.

I certainly am not trying to sound elitist in any way...I read comments from classical pianist forums and how much they talk down about those who play velocity only or semi-weighted units. While there is a certain amount of truth to playing a synth action keybed for piano (and how it really should be done on a good weighted keybed), the elitist remarks I read are terrible. They also say those kinds of things about organists too (playing organ is an entirely different experience than piano).

I also know that many people cannot have access to a keyboard before they buy it. Many stores will only get one in their store if someone orders it. I understand the questions about how an action might feel, but if you are seriously looking at a unit, order the thing and try it out.

There are so many different types of keybed actions out there; upright piano, baby grand, grand, concert grand, Wurlitzer EP's, Rhodes EP's, cheap Casios and Yamahas, synths, slab pianos, organs, etc...

When a unit like the PA series comes to market, they are trying to be everything to everyone. If they made a weighted arranger, people would complain about how they're not able to do fast synth runs on a weighted keybed or they're not able to play organ well on that weighted action.

So - they make a semi-weighted or synth-action unit. People complain that they cannot play piano or organ sounds right on it. It seems like they cannot win.

I know I went on a bit of a tangent here and I apologize.

Try the unit out and see how it feels for you and the application you intend for the unit...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC

Last edited by Musicwithharry on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
export-B wrote:

Yeah, maybe, but FOR ME, the keybed on the Pa1000 slows me way down. Are you a true professional export-B? What does it matter what a pro would do with this keybed? Very few of us are in that league.

I think as I've gotten older and stiffer and less energetic the keybed is more important. In past years I didn't notice when a keybed was more difficult to play up closer to the fall board, now I do. Everyone is different.

I remember playing this Yamaha slab piano with 88 keys. Worst keybed ever, I made TWICE as many mistakes playing it because of its sloppy action.

Then there was the time I played this beautiful Steinway D. Wow, so responsive, such a joy to play, inspiring.

At the other other forum I frequent, Keyboard Corner, you hear this all the time. Some folks adapt easily or over time to a keybed, others are not as adaptable and it throws them off. Many of the folks on that forum ARE pros. It just goes to show, we're all different.

Based on the dozen + keyboards I've had over the years, I'd personally rate this one as 6.5-7.5 out of 10, which is to say, overall, not bad. There are some atrocious keybeds out there!

Randy

I find that as I have gotten older, I do not stand much at all when playing Smile I have a nice and comfy seat that I use at gigs. I can still play like I used to (but maybe with a bit more maturity), but I pretty much have a seat now Smile It is part of joining the elder-statesman position of musicians Smile

With regard to owning different keyboards in our careers, I have owned around (if not over) 100 different boards. I can say that the WORST I have ever played were the Kawai KC10 and the Casio CZ-101. They were HIDEOUS...

The best I have had? I would say my current Lowrey EZP3 (which is basically a Kawai), a Kawai MP5, my Ensoniq SQ2/32 (when it was new) and my Ensoniq VFX-SD. I also loved the touch of the Rhodes I had, as well as a Hammond organ (but again, organ playing is SO different than piano).

Grace,
Harry
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
......When a unit like the PA series comes to market, they are trying to be everything to everyone. If they made a weighted arranger, people would complain about how they're not able to do fast synth runs on a weighted keybed or they're not able to play organ well on that weighted action.

So - they make a semi-weighted or synth-action unit. People complain that they cannot play piano or organ sounds right on it. It seems like they cannot win.

I know I went on a bit of a tangent here and I apologize.

Try the unit out and see how it feels for you and the application you intend for the unit...

Grace,
Harry
Well said.
Dogendo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your detailed answers; the PA 700 seems sufficient for the amateur musician that I am; I still hesitate with Yamaha PSR-SX700... the choice is difficult!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
I have a Pa1000...As you play deeper on the keys, it gets harder to press. This is my number one complaint about the 1000, which I mostly love to bits otherwise. It slows me way down. I can imagine that others with stronger fingers or different ways of positioning their hands on the keybed would have different results than myself. Feel a bit cheated to have a $2,000 keyboard that has a hard-to-play keybed.

It's true that the last 1.5" or so at the rear of the keys have a lot more resistance. It's not as bad as it is on some other boards, but you have a point that this may be about the priciest board that exhibits this issue even to the extent that it does. Keeping your fingers properly curved helps. It might be useful to create a strip of fabric or whatever that covers the back 1.5" of the keys, so that visually you are prompted to aim below that point.

Randelph wrote:
Do you happen to remember the model? I'm curious as to whether it had a hammer action or not. Yamaha does make 88s both ways, and it's actually harder to play accurately on a non-hammer action piano, even though the hammer action typically feels "heavier" The problem is that, because keys go down so easily, you'll trigger a bum note just by brushing against it, something that doesn't happen as easily when a key need more force to trigger. The shape of the keys matters too, i.e. whether the edges are hard-squared or soft-curved. Tangentially... these same things that affect how easily a key triggers that make piano playing more dificult make organ playing easier, because unlike piano, organ playing often sounds *better* when adjacent notes are struck on the way to the right ones!

Musicwithharry wrote:
When a unit like the PA series comes to market, they are trying to be everything to everyone. If they made a weighted arranger, people would complain about how they're not able to do fast synth runs on a weighted keybed or they're not able to play organ well on that weighted action.

That's why it would be nice to give customers choices of actions. Inherently, piano plays best on actions where organ plays worst, and vice versa. Some actions are better compromises than others. But no one should expect a truly excellent piano and organ experience from the same set of keys. So either you get multiple keyboards, or you pick what's more important to you. Unfortunately, if piano is more important to you, you don't typically have much choice when it comes to arrangers.

I should also clarify that the ability to play the "wrong" sound on a given action also depends on the demans of the repertoire. If you're playing simple block chords and melody lines on organ, either action will suffice. If you're playing Jerry Lee Lewis style rock and roll piano, either action can suffice, The more you move toward more advanced playing techniques (for either instrument) the more the wrong action can really impede your intent.

So now the big question... did Mike get a PA700 or a PSR-SX700? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: