Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROBLEM SAVING DRUMTRACK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thedinga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: PROBLEM SAVING DRUMTRACK Reply with quote

Hi everybody. I've setup a drumtrack in a Combi and wanted to save it. Weird things is: It won't save when I select "Start Immediately". It will save when I select "Wait KBD Trigger". Am I missing something here? I need the Drumtrack to start immediately when I select a Combi...…..anyone???
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you editing/working with a prior factory combi ?

Let me know the name of it.

Or have you started out with an empty combi and inserted drum track, etc ?
Grog96

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thedinga,

So, I think what you're asking for is to be able to select your saved Combi, and for it to immediately start running its drum track? I'm afraid that cannot be done.

1) If you set Drum Track Trigger Mode = "Start Immediately" and then Write the Combi (or Prog for that matter - same applies there), the [DRUM TRACK] switch state is always saved as 'stopped' (=unlit), even if you press the [DRUM TRACK] switch to have the drum track running (=steady lit) while you do the Write.

2) If you set Drum Track Trigger Mode = "Wait KBD Trig" and then Write it, the [DRUM TRACK] switch state can be saved as 'stopped' (=unlit) or 'waiting' (=flashing) - but never 'running' (=steady lit).

In fact I've done this on a cover of Ceelo Green's "Forget You". I have a Combi with a drum track that I programmed to play the congas and also a click that I route to our drummer's ears so he can time everyone else in.

My Combi has Drum Track Trigger Mode = "Wait KBD Trig", Latch = "On", and I pressed the [DRUM TRACK] switch before Writeing it. Now whenever I get to this Combi in my Set List, the drum track state goes into 'waiting' mode (=flashing). It's triggered when I play the first RH piano chord (range G3~E4) - a 2nd-inversion C major - but it ignores the LH bass notes I play beforehand.

I think that's the closest you can get to your goal. It's not automatic, but it is primed.

HTH.
Thedinga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clear answers. it's clear to me now that it can't be done the way I would like it. To answer Greg C, I have programmed two Combi's after eachother and need them both live on stage. For example: Combi 0001: Listen To Your Heart VERSE and Combi 0002: Listen To Your Heart CHORUS. I can start the click (drumtrack) manually by hitting a key in the Combi 0001 VERSE, but when I move to Combi 0002 (CHORUS) I would like that the click continues automatically without having to hit a key. Now I have to do it manually so my bandmembers will hear the click, even when I'm not playing in that part....
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thedinga wrote:
Thanks for the clear answers. it's clear to me now that it can't be done the way I would like it. To answer Greg C, I have programmed two Combi's after eachother and need them both live on stage. For example: Combi 0001: Listen To Your Heart VERSE and Combi 0002: Listen To Your Heart CHORUS. I can start the click (drumtrack) manually by hitting a key in the Combi 0001 VERSE, but when I move to Combi 0002 (CHORUS) I would like that the click continues automatically without having to hit a key. Now I have to do it manually so my bandmembers will hear the click, even when I'm not playing in that part....

I think you are correct. You can't continuously chain 2 separate combis together.

You might consider working in SEQ mode. At least, you could start and finish 1 song at a time.
Grog96

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC is spot on there. The solution is to use two Set List slots pointing to a single Song instead of trying to swap between two different Combis. When you select between different Set List slots that refer to the same Prog/Combi/Song, no 'reset' occurs; a running drum track (or for that matter, the sequence itself) will continue to run. Moreover, in slots that refer to Songs there is the added feature of indicating the active Track that the keyboard plays (as well as playing any others assigned to the same MIDI channel, e.g. for layers or splits). Slots referring to a Combi don't do this, they always use the Global channel as defined in GLOBAL mode. Obviously, there's no other option with Prog Slots, cos y'know, there's only one sound to play Wink

Here's how to set up your song with a click track and two sets of sounds that we can swap between...

Copy one of your Combis (VERSE or CHORUS, whichever is the most complex) to a Song. The best way is to pick a blank Song in SEQ mode, and from the top-right menu select Copy From Combi. Check IFXs-All, MFXs and TFXs. Don't bother with Multi REC Standby. Now pick Rename Song from the menu and call it "Listen To Your Heart".

You then have to manually set up other tracks in the Song to reflect the simpler Combi (CHORUS or VERSE, not the one you just copied). Give both groups of tracks different MIDI channels. For instance, the VERSE might use sounds in tracks 1 & 2 -- both on MIDI channel 4; the CHORUS might use sounds in tracks 6~8 -- all on MIDI channel 5. Your click track might be track 16, on MIDI channel 16. You only need the one click track.

If your two Combis used different FX, you'll need to copy the FX from your simpler Combi to the Song (there are menu commands to achieve this on the IFX and MFX/TFX pages). Remember to route the correct sounds to the relevant FX.

Configure the Drum Track as noted earlier. Set Trigger Mode = "Wait KBD Trig", Latch = "On", set up a Keyboard Trigger Zone if required, and put into the 'waiting' state (=flashing). Note there is no 'write' method with a Song, all changes are immediately stored -- including the [DRUM TRACK] switch state.

Finally, set up two consecutive slots in your Set List, both pointing to the new Song. Label one slot "L2YH VERSE", the other "L2YH CHORUS" (I abbreviated them so they fit in the slot rectangle on screen -- just my preference Smile ). Specify a different Track number on each, typically the first in either group of tracks. For instance, using the track numbers in the above example, set L2YH VERSE Slot's Track to 1, and L2YH CHORUS Slot's Track to 6. Now Write the Set List.

OK, now's a good time to Save both the PCG & SEQ to disk -- preserving the 'waiting' state of your Song's Drum Track, ready for action.

You should now find that you can select the VERSE, start the click track by playing something, and then swap between VERSE <--> CHORUS as you like without interrupting the click track. It will stop either when you press the [DRUM TRACK] switch or when you select a slot that refers to another Prog/Combi/Song.

HTH!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: