Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi and Sonar (cakewalk)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith-helen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Midi and Sonar (cakewalk) Reply with quote

I have just spent days trying to solve why when I record into Sonar it records all the voices one channel on all the channels . I just couldn't understand it and it was sending me barmy.
I had read the documents in the pa manual and complied with that.
I had assigned all the channels in the pa .
In cakewalk it showed I was connected to the input and output. However when I started to record it recorded all the voices on the same channel on each of the 16 channels. I wanted each voice to be on a separate channel.

I had achieved this many years ago but had forgotten how I did it.
I was preparing an item by item note to post on this forum, when I remembered you have to save it as a MIDI FORMAT 0 .
So I am posting this in case anyone else experiences the same problem.

Best wishes

Keith Lawton
and PaAs have now got left handed banjo
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Midi and Sonar (cakewalk) Reply with quote

keith-helen wrote:
.. when I record into Sonar it records all the voices one channel on all the channels ..

The workaround for this is to use Options – Project – Midi Input and to make sure each track’s input and output is assigned to a different midi channel. You should be able to record multiple midi tracks just fine now. Change Echo Mode to "none" else all incoming midi channels will be routed through the selected midi tracks.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most DAW’s have a command to split a multichannel Part into separate channels after the fact. That might be simpler than setting up a multi track setup and enabling record on the whole lot.

As long as the channel information is retained in the single track, the DAW should have no issues splitting it for you... then once that is done, you can easily do overdubs to the single channel tracks.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Tracks / Channels Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
Most DAW’s have a command to split a multichannel Part into separate channels after the fact. That might be simpler than setting up a multi track setup and enabling record on the whole lot.

As long as the channel information is retained in the single track, the DAW should have no issues splitting it for you... then once that is done, you can easily do overdubs to the single channel tracks.

The original channel and track assignments of the original file are retained automatically if using separate tracks ins SMF. This format is easier to read due to the track and channel separation of PCs with sequencer programs, making it easier to use - this format also retain track label informations. It is particularly useful if you want to rework a midifile.

Also if your source sequence has several tracks assigned to the same MIDI channel (for example several drum tracks playing the same program on the same channel, but with an individual drum sound on each track), then it is best to export it as a Type 1 file. If exported as Type 0, all tracks assigned to the same channel will be merged into a single track when the .MID file is loaded.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I’m old school, but I never had any problem using a drum track that contained ALL the drum sounds. They are on different notes, so easy to select on a note by note basis for editing.

TBH, whenever I get SMF’s with a track per drum sound, it’s a mess in the track view and I end up consolidating them to one track anyway. Given that the kit is only one one channel, it keeps things tidier and prevents losing track of what is what. If you want to split out drum sounds to send to something else, it’s a simple cut and paste to a new track that you then assign where you need it (VSTi, other synths, different kit on a different channel)...

Now, setting up a ton of tracks to capture every last thing you MIGHT need separated later when you can do it nice and easy and separate later as needed seems to me to be the more efficient option, and far less complicated.

But there are plenty of ways to skin a cat!

I’m a little confused about what Sieben is saying about saving as an SMF... wasn’t the OP talking about using Sonor as the recorder? Use the PA4X’s recorder, yes, tracks will separate by sound when imported. But how does Sonor distinguish between different sounds if on the same channel? There’s only 16, after all.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Tracks / Channels Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
.. I never had any problem using a drum track that contained ALL the drum sounds ..

.. maybe you meant all drum instruments of a drumKit - there no problems was mentioned using a drum track containing all drum instruments of a drum kit.

As posting in "Korg forums Pa4x" I used the term drum sound as usually - maybe I should use the term drumKit and drumInstrument, to be more understandable.

OP did not ask about drum sounds but voices on channels - maybe he think to expect a helpful answer.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven’t heard from the OP since his original post. His post is somewhat unclear. Perhaps we need to hear from him to clarify?

It is quite clear in his post though that he intends to record using Sonor. So the usual MIDI restrictions applies. 16 channels per MIDI output. If two different keyboard sounds use the same channel, or all sounds in a drum kit are on a Single channel, the receiving device can’t separate them arbitrarily. This will need to be done after the recording.

Am I missing something?
keith-helen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all let me apologise for not responding and thanking you for all the help you give. I have no excuse.
What I was trying to do was record from the PA4x into Sonar.
When I play a midi file it plays quite nicely (tune 1000)
The midi out from the pa is as follows channel 1 upper 1 ch 2 upper 2 ch3 upper3 ch4 lower ch5 pad 1 ch 6 pad2 ch 7 pad3 ch8 pad4 ch9 bass
ch10 drums ch11 percussion ch12 ac1 ch13 ac2 ch14 ac3 ch15 acc4 ch16 5

when I click on the record button on header and play it records everything on all of the channels , however when I click save as i save it as a midi 0 file.
when I open it it is on separate channels.

On one of my computers (not the one connected to the PA , when I open sonar the tracks show the track number , the midi icon, title then M S recording red button then the echo button.

On computer connected to the PA the M, S, recording red button then the echo button are not showing. I have obviously turned them off but I cannot work out how to turn them back on.

Siebenhirter,In sonar I couldnt find options- project. however I went into edit- preferences- midi devices and made sure that the pa4x was identified.

Yes, I am a 73 year old nightmare.

However, I do apologise again for not responding/replying earlier.

Many thanks

Keith Lawton
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Sonar - channels to separate tracks Reply with quote

keith-helen wrote:
... In sonar I couldnt find options- project .. ...

When starting SONAR, you will see the Start Screen, point to Documents, and choose a SONAR project from the menu (New/Recent/Existing/Demo Project).
Whenever you write or record music in SONAR, you are writing it to be saved into a project. A project can contain a variety of elements, including MIDI Tracks.

keith-helen wrote:
...However when I started to record it recorded all the voices on the same channel on each of the 16 channels. I wanted each voice to be on a separate channel....

Seems you have probably mixed up a term, because SONAR always records on TRACKs and therefore I suspect that you want to record each voice (sound program or drumKit of Pa-Keyboard) of your Midi device on a separate track.
That's why I recommended you track’s input and output is assigned to a different midi channel - what you get from your Midi device on channel 1 will be recorded on track 1, channel1. If you save that project as Midi file it will use track1 to send Midi events on channel 1 to your Midi device.

keith-helen wrote:
...when I click on the record button on header and play it records everything on all of the channels ...

I think what you meant probably maybe all it records to is recorded to one track.
Now when you use one track for ch1, next track for ch2 etc last track for ch16, each of your keyboards section (upper1,2,3, lower, pad ...etc) can be seen and handled on a separate track assigned to a different channel.
But seems to be more helpful, to use Sonars documentation ---> https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Introduction.20.html
With this themes are starting and continue step by step: Starting SONAR, SONAR basics, SONAR file types, Opening a file, Views, Working on a project ... etc

Another good starting-link is https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Introduction.31.html.
It is starting and continued as: Tutorial 1 - Creating, playing, and saving projects / Creating a new project / Opening project files / Configuring your sound device etc.

Tutorial for Recording MIDI can be found here ----> https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Tutorial4.3.html

Tutorial for "Choosing the instrument sound (bank and patch)" and "To assign an initial bank and patch to a track" can be found here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Playback.24.html#1067301

keith-helen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi siebenhirter

Again many thanks for your prompt reply. Yes you are correct. It records everything on to one track. And this same information is placed on all of the 16 tracks. I then save it as a midi 0 file . When I then open that file the information is all on the separate tracks.

I will try again later tonight before I have my horlicks and put my tarten slippers on ha Ha

Thank you
Keith Lawton
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Midi tracks or channels Reply with quote

keith-helen wrote:
... later tonight before I have my horlicks and put my tarten slippers on ...

I'm in the same group of ages as you - don't you think it would be better to put on your dancing shoes, shake those hips and get ready to play Rock the Boat?

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably would be better off saving the song, once in Sonor, as a Sonor project until you want to export it back to the PA's internal sequencer (for use on a gig, for instance).

You are going to lose anything set up in Sonor (layout, track colors, notes, any Sonor track processing that is undoable, etc.) when you save as an SMF.

I wouldn't convert the project to an SMF until you are completely finished with the project and all editing and want to put it in the PA to take elsewhere. Once a song is exported as an SMF, it 'freezes' all edits and you can't undo them. Sonor itself has a running history of edits, so you can go back to an earlier version if you want or need...

I'm still of the opinion that it easiest to record to the one multichannel track and then split later, simply for the convenience of having to arm only one track, and it is easy to record multiple takes (just mute the previous takes) without filling your Sonor screen with dozens of tracks. But there are plenty of options. Use whatever works best for YOU!
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Tracks or channels Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
.. Once a song is exported as an SMF, it 'freezes' all edits and you can't undo them. .. But there are plenty of options. Use whatever works best for YOU! ..

Seems to be something was apparently mixed up - we are talking about Midi Events in an SMF.

Each individual midi event of an SMF (standard midi file) can be edited, deleted. SMFs with midi events also can be subsequently expanded without restriction as often as you want to rewrite an SMF.

No one of edited midi events will be frozen and you are free to edit or to undo Midi Events of SMFs as often as you want.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think this is correct. Once saved as an SMF, there is no 'history' of what was done to the original file unless you saved that as a separate file. That is why I recommend staying in Sonor until finished. That CAN revert to an earlier version.

I am not sure you are getting your terms right. Once 'frozen' you can of course work on the file as is, do whatever. But if working on the saved SMF, you can't go back to what it was BEFORE you saved it.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: SMF in Sonar Reply with quote

The file that you use to store usually a single song’s data is called a project. This is the file you use to record, play back, and edit your song. The file extension for a project is .wrk in older programs and .cwp in newer ones. Projects that USE ONLY THE MIDI format (no digital audio) can be SAVED IN A FORMAT CALLED A Standard MIDI File (SMF), and can then be played back in any program or machine that plays MIDI files. These files have the extension .mid.

The MIDI messages within a project are usually separated into smaller containers called tracks, and even smaller containers called clips, which are sections of a track. You usually use tracks to separate the MIDI messages that are intended to play one kind of sound from the MIDI messages that play other sounds. You usually assign each track to its own MIDI channel. A typical MIDI project might have separate tracks for drums, bass, and piano.
SONAR lets you edit the events in your projects in dozens of different ways. It lets you add and edit notes, controllers, and automation data interactively, using a graphic display. Its many editing commands can improve the quality of recorded performances, filter out certain types of events, and modify the tempos and dynamics etc..... It lets you see and modify every detail and also you can apply a variety of effects and filters to enhance your MIDI data ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: