Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB 3.0 and Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandelume

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: USB 3.0 and Kronos Reply with quote

I sometimes experience hissing/noise when connecting my Kronos to my PC via USB cable. My PC has got only the blue USB 3.0 ports. When i detach the USB cable, no hissing is present. Is there a way to downgrade one USB 3.0 port to 2.0 using a special adapter or another solution?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB3 is compatible with USB2.

It's more likely you're having a ground loop problem. If you have a laptop, try unplugging it from the AC and running it on its battery. If not, try a ground lift adapter on the AC plug. I get similar noises and the ground lift on the PC helped a great deal.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Pandelume

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
USB3 is compatible with USB2.

It's more likely you're having a ground loop problem. If you have a laptop, try unplugging it from the AC and running it on its battery. If not, try a ground lift adapter on the AC plug. I get similar noises and the ground lift on the PC helped a great deal.

Geo

I think you are right, today i had the hissing without USB connection. I checked the ground lift adapters, they seem to work, but there are many warnings like them being dangerous?! So they could possibly damage the equipment. So i am quite unsure right now.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When UL started forcing manufacturers to use a three way power cable with ground, many problems arose with ground loops. By connecting audio equipment with multiple grounds, currents through those grounds will differ and cause noise. A mixer for example has multiple grounds connecting to every source and output device. Add that each powered device also has a power ground and you have a lot of redundant current paths.

The purpose of a ground in the safety realm is to provide a path to ground in the "unlikely" event that somehow a failure causes a hot line to touch the metallic case which could shock the user if he touches the case AND a ground somewhere else at the same time. It's not that likely really not to mention that electronic products were built for decades without any ground.

Removing a power ground with a ground lift adapter may remove unwanted noise. Usually it helps with a mixer or computer the most. You have to try each device one at a time to be certain.

Back in the eighties going into a recording studio with a couple of keyboards I was handed a handful of ground lift adapters and told to use them on everything. At a Yamaha technician seminar an instructor showed us ground lift adapters and told us why they work but then said we didn't hear it from him!

People out of an abundance of caution tend to not recommend their use but I'm more practical and aware of the potentials and have no problem with their use.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Pandelume

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info on the ground lift adapters. I will use them if needed. I have got only the Kronos and an Eventide H9, besides my PC and Focal speakers. So yesterday i connected all i have to a single plugbar resp. wall socket. Then i started to use the Kronos and H9, and no problems for two hours. And i connected the Kronos with my PC using USB!
Hope it will help permanently. I want to add another synth like Wavestate or DeepMind in a few weeks (want to go ambient) and so my setup will get more complicated. In this case i will have possibly to use the ground lift adapters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: