Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[next FW]Debug tool to help when result is not the expected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: [next FW]Debug tool to help when result is not the expected Reply with quote

With such extended abilites to program as Wavestate offers, I think some debug helpers are needed.

Like being able to follow StepSeq lane activity what values became and such.
So some kind of log to activate, that can be cleared when done.
Some software has some verbose setting to get more details.

Also just run a step - and stop - etc - and watch log.

Good tools for programming is the difference between fail and success.
Since there is plenty room to store various presets - I think a temporary storage space for logs would be possible.

It's even possible to open such a log window in librarian to see when completely stuck, so no local storage is needed even. Then go back to normal standalone when that is solved.

I'm going through all Wavesequences alphabetically to see which are interesting to me and try to understand what is going on, and also found some obvious bugs where not all modulations were listed anymore - and I scratched my head bald over how what steps were played back.

Then found that saving and then restoring wavesequence made everything visible again - and I could see all modulations. I think something was messed up listing all wavesequences, one after another previewing, from start to letter 'D'.

It's so incredibly cool that I want to master it completely.

I was working on CopInd Kinetic Orchestra and found these really neat things happening and using the StepSeq knob on the layer it was loaded and other sample steps suddenly appeared playing.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: [next FW]Debug tool to help when result is not the expec Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
I'm going through all Wavesequences alphabetically to see which are interesting to me and try to understand what is going on, and also found some obvious bugs where not all modulations were listed anymore - and I scratched my head bald over how what steps were played back.

Then found that saving and then restoring wavesequence made everything visible again - and I could see all modulations. I think something was messed up listing all wavesequences, one after another previewing, from start to letter 'D'.

I don't understand what you're talking about here, sorry. If you can be very specific, it would be helpful.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll be glad to.
I've even narrowed it down further, not having to do mysterious things like the sequence I described in your quote.

To reproduce
------------------
Have a fresh Init Program layer only active say Layer C
Go to Mod to list modulations and do shift Mod, and delete them all.
Now list says empty.
Also unlit Performance Mod Knobs button so knobs for layer is working.
Press Wave sequence select button
Move value knob to load a wavesequence like I did Copind Kinetic Orchestra
Press Enter to select it.
Now press Mod to list modulations - and it's still says empty.
Now just press Layer B, or any other layer.
Then press the one you are working on, Layer C in my case
Now the full list of modulations is shown, a dozen or so

So this was the crucial part - all modulations are loaded and work fine, you can move like StepSeq knob up to 1400 and hear how samples played vary.

But they are not available through Mod button until you shifted layer once and back. This is the workaround you need to know about.

So Mod pages should be listed just going to Mod button after loading wave sequence - that was the problem. You have to change layer and then back to see them.

I looked like crazy all over, where are these things controlled that I notice work when moving knobs?
At first I thought it was to do with me browsing all these wavesequences, but found. But workaround was to do with shifting layer and back - then they all are listed on Mod button.

Again i'd like to promote the idea of full help screen on at least Wavesequences and up in size.

Example this cool I used in example above, Copind Kinect Orchestra.

Looking through modulations you find for layer
- StepSeq - Sampl strt/stp step
- Timing - Timing A2 probability
- Master - pitch rand order
- Pitch - pitch end stp
- Shape - pitch A7 transpose
- Gate - Smpl A7 trim level

or similar would fit a page, and immediately know which knobs to use to find variations. You don't need to go into every detail - but just the most important ones.

It could be preformatted with the 8 knobs, so less to write yourself.

When up i range of hundreds yourself, you don't remember without looking through modulations what does what.

And possibly a setting not to annoy everybody, in global setting or for each preset if you want help page displayed first as loaded.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well documented! i can reproduce this.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thank you.

The workaround is easy to use, once you know about it.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Thanks, I'll be glad to.
I've even narrowed it down further, not having to do mysterious things like the sequence I described in your quote.

Thanks - this is another instance of a known issue (it also happens if you add Steps to a Lane). I'm sorry for the inconvenience; we hope to have a fix when possible.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: