Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which USB audio interface to use with Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandelume

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Which USB audio interface to use with Kronos? Reply with quote

I think the internal USB audio interface of the Kronos could be better replaced by an external one for sake of quality. I am thinking of the Steinberg UR 44, the MOTU M4 or the Audient iD 44. Anyone here to have used these interfaces with the Kronos and would comment on them? Or maybe other alternatives. I am using a Kronos2 61 and Win10.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only interested in recording the Kronos into a DAW or in your PC, then no. An audio interface is only going to add another point in the mix.

The reason I say this: The Kronos acts itself as an interface. When you record the Kronos into something like... Audacity, I've noticed that the waveform that is generated and recorded is *perfect* - It's a 100% accurate representation of the waveform output generated by the Kronos.

As soon as you add an external interface, unless you're 100% digital, there is going to be a degradation of quality no matter how small. No analog lines are ever going to be as 'accurate' as a digital signal, so if that's something that is important to you just keep the Kronos as the interface.

If, however, you're looking for more features like having a built-in mixer, or not needing to have your Kronos powered on while using your PC for audio... Then sure an interface makes total sense.
Pandelume

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i am using Audacity (and Reaper), so here it would be better to use the Kronos interface as you say.

But also i am using the Kronos for PC audio files (MP3, FLAC), and here i was hoping, that using an external interface like the Steinberg UR44 could provide a superior audio quality compared to the Kronos inbuilt audio interface. But maybe the difference would not be audible?!
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandelume wrote:
Yes i am using Audacity (and Reaper), so here it would be better to use the Kronos interface as you say.

But also i am using the Kronos for PC audio files (MP3, FLAC), and here i was hoping, that using an external interface like the Steinberg UR44 could provide a superior audio quality compared to the Kronos inbuilt audio interface. But maybe the difference would not be audible?!

The Kronos already has a quite high-end DAC, outputs and such in general. I don't know what an interface would actually offer other than additional inputs.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 or 2 years ago, there was lots of glitch between Kronos USB and Mac OS audio. A direct connection.

IOW, when Apple did an OS upgrade, glitches started to occur with Kronos

There are dozens of posts on this.

So the workaround as I understood was to insert a Audio Interface [AI] between a Mac and Kronos.

It could also be, Apple later restored whatever audio packets they removed in their later OS ver. I gave up keeping track of all that since I had the AI

Another positive of Steinberg UR 44 is that they included certain Cubase tools for free. It seals the deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: