Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Monologue Arpeggiator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
condrew

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Korg Monologue Arpeggiator Reply with quote

Hey!
I just got Korg Monologue even it doesn't have its own arpeggio. However, I'd love to use arpeggio style with this great synth.
Does anyone know a clever solution for this?

Thinking of getting ARPIE from Tindie.com
Trying to come across for DAW implementation solution.
Getting Arturia Keystep is least friendly solution for me.

I am also getting Korg NTS-1 next week for effects and one extra oscillator. Does anybody know if I can use its arpeggio with Monologue?

Thanks for respond!
synthpeter

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Monologue Arpeggiator Reply with quote

condrew wrote:
Hey!
I just got Korg Monologue even it doesn't have its own arpeggio. However, I'd love to use arpeggio style with this great synth.
Does anyone know a clever solution for this?...

For a straight forward arpeggio, you can program three or four steps with a pattern, then limit the sequence length by programming the SEQ EDIT setting for Step Length. Finally press and hold the KEYTRG/HOLD button until it starts blinking. Now you can play notes, and the Monologue will play the pattern transposed to the note that is played..

But the Monologue is more flexible than that, and another trick is to use motion sequencing on the VCO2 octave. This can give an impression of arpeggio, but with a beat like thump. Start with an empty sequence and set the NOTE/SLIDE/MOTION slider to motion, and while pressing the sequencer buttons move the VCO2 octave slider. A possible pattern is 4', 2', 16', and repeat. Press play, and now when you press notes, VCO2 will cycle through the octaves. Maybe not a real arpeggio, but much more effective in my view..
mrhooks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an old topic...

I like the suggestions you gave. However, it still does not eliminate the need for an actual arpeggiator. IMHO it's much more important for an arpeggiator to be fast than to have a rich feature set, because that is what differentiates it from a sequencer (real-time recording mode notwithstanding). That was the issue I had with the KeyStep's original arpeggiator when I wanted multi-octave arps. I should be able to turn on the arpeggiator, input a chord, and immediately get a multi-octave arpeggio. Instead, I had to input a chord, keep at least one key pressed while the incomplete arpeggio is already playing, shift octaves, input the chord again, etc. I might as well use the sequencer.

Also, just as with Monologue's LFO, there is no random. I wish Korg would add different sequencer play directions (backward, pendulum, random, accessible via Shift-Play, going into effect once Shift is released), if not a full-blown arpeggiator (or both!), but it would be foolish to hope for new features at this point. Heck, I was amazed when they added Active Step, and that was over 2.5 years ago.
LM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhooks wrote:
Resurrecting an old topic...

That was the issue I had with the KeyStep's original arpeggiator when I wanted multi-octave arps. I should be able to turn on the arpeggiator, input a chord, and immediately get a multi-octave arpeggio. Instead, I had to input a chord, keep at least one key pressed while the incomplete arpeggio is already playing, shift octaves, input the chord again, etc. I might as well use the sequencer.

Keystep has added multi-octave arpeggios after firmware updates.

I also miss a random LFO on the Monologue: 16 steps of motion sequencing is not the same as true random. But if on the other hand you're using a DAW, you can use MIDI CC to modulate every parameter on the Monologue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: