Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - is that fake as Roland digital emulations or real?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp50player wrote:
Overpriced compared to what? For an "overpriced" claim to be made, there must be something else that provides the same functionality and quality for less inflation-corrected dollars.

I think it is an unfair judgement and expectation for synthesizers to have all new sound generation technology and patches every new generation. What other instrument category is held to that standard? Electric guitars haven't fundamentally changed in 65 years. A horn is a horn.

Synth companies have constantly upgraded specs and added new features, for a lot less REAL dollars over the years, but they decided not to compete with 2Tb of sample libraries some of us are running on our computers.

T.

"Overpriced compared to what"

Exactly. Korg, Yamaha, Roland make a unique high priced product [ Montage, Fantom, Kronos}

By virtue of being in that niche, primarily, they created it, they can keep prices high . and maintain their high profit margins . We know folks like these
boards. { FYI, I am not talking retail profit- that is quite small, as a % }.

I am not debating anyone's choice. they are important boards. Or rationale or justification.

I think its good knowledge for a buyer to under stand and quantify 'why ' he or she is paying $3000 - $4000 for a keyboard. I understand, many do not care to scrutinize a purchase in this manner.

I am for the consumer having certain facts, that are essentially behind the scenes. It also makes for an interesting discussion when talking to an informed retailer. That the purchaser has a good grip on the #'s.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
xp50player wrote:
Overpriced compared to what? For an "overpriced" claim to be made, there must be something else that provides the same functionality and quality for less inflation-corrected dollars.

I think it is an unfair judgement and expectation for synthesizers to have all new sound generation technology and patches every new generation. What other instrument category is held to that standard? Electric guitars haven't fundamentally changed in 65 years. A horn is a horn.

Synth companies have constantly upgraded specs and added new features, for a lot less REAL dollars over the years, but they decided not to compete with 2Tb of sample libraries some of us are running on our computers.

T.

Exactly. Korg, Yamaha, Roland make a unique high priced product [ Montage, Fantom, Kronos}

By virtue of being in that niche, primarily, they created it, they can keep prices high . and maintain their high profit margins . We know folks like these

I am not debating anyone's choice. they are important boards. Or rationale or justification.

I think its good knowledge for a buyer to under stand and quantify 'why ' he or she is paying $3000 - $4000 for a keyboard. I understand, many do not care to scrutinize a purchase in this manner.

I am for the consumer having certain facts, that are essentially behind the scenes. It also makes for an interesting discussion when talking to an informed retailer. That the purchaser has a good grip on the #'s.

Don’t you think if really high proffits could be made here, Behringer would have jumped into this market by now?
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:
xp50player wrote:

T.

Don’t you think if really high proffits could be made here, Behringer would have jumped into this market by now?

Behringer *is* entering that market, give it a few years for product development.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Bachus wrote:
GregC wrote:
xp50player wrote:

T.

Behringer *is* entering that market, give it a few years for product development.

I think you are right about Behringer. I welcome their competition to Roland, Korg, and Yamaha. esp for the high priced $3000-$4000 boards.
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

I think you are right about Behringer. I welcome their competition to Roland, Korg, and Yamaha. esp for the high priced $3000-$4000 boards.

As you described to me - workstations are digital - why would Behringer enter that market.

It means they would have to make true polyphonic monster workstation with all analog versions inside.

Or maybe they would do that - just for the hell of it.....again flooring competition.

How about a DeepMind, a PolyD, Odyssey and 2600....would that cover some ground - all analog in a space of a workstation?

Their 2600 were much tighter format than original so a massive amount of stuff on panel covering all that. Only 88 key version then.

But maybe they would just build a holder that make it convenient live with the originals on top of DeepMind.

Sometimes among cars top models they don't make so much money - but they build a brand, kind of. This can be done statement.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behringer products are cheap as they get the pioneering companies like Mackie, Roland, Moog, Korg and others to do all the expensive R & D and advertising for them. All Behringer do is reverse engineer, copy, find cheaper components, make the product look reminiscent of the original, and then undercut them, and then have the audacity to call them 'tributes'. They're pirates, in hardware form.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
GregC wrote:

As you described to me - workstations are digital - why would Behringer enter that market.

I enjoy these conversations.

Sometimes, its necessary to point out, what I believe is obvious.

Its almost always all about the money. That motivates 99% of all decisions. Especially future products.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
Behringer products are cheap as they get the pioneering companies like Mackie, Roland, Moog, Korg and others to do all the expensive R & D and advertising for them. All Behringer do is reverse engineer, copy, find cheaper components, make the product look reminiscent of the original, and then undercut them, and then have the audacity to call them 'tributes'. They're pirates, in hardware form.

I understand what you are saying. And I use to resent the copy factories in Asia, doing knock off of American copyright protected products.

I might be mellowing out,, I accept the reality of what certain manufacturers do in the marketplace.

I don't see anyone complaining about Korg doing a "Japanese Grand " or a German Grand in Kronos. Or that Korg did a CX-3 which is a digital version of Hammond.

It seems musicians want this.

You can disagree with my somewhat faulty comparison . Duplicating success is here to stay.
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Its almost always all about the money. That motivates 99% of all decisions. Especially future products.

I wonder if true on cars at least - where branding is essential.

How do you
- eliminate all sound from tires towards surface
- eliminate wind noise
- eliminate engine noise
- make it comfy as sitting long hours
- eliminate noise when slamming a door
- control behavior in extreme situations
- assist driver in any critical situation

So building a top model for a small market - they learn how to do that. At first very expensive but over time find cheaper ways to do the same, or close to, since having that knowledge now.

I think Merc, BMW and Lexus are doing this. Having deluxe models that very few can afford. But anybody is happy to at least have a simpler model of those brands.

You can finance research and knowhow, kind of, staying ahead of competition.

But synths and workstations are probably not driven by branding so much, but could be wrong.

But the big dragons are watching each other closely still.

ARP 2600 I consider such a project and about branding. Korg has really built knowhow on analog synths now since Odyssey or so.

Roland is more or less about doing digital emulations of analog they did 40 years ago.

Yamaha had tremendous success with DX7 and continued that FM route, more or less. Abandoned CS80 style, if I am not mistaken. Just had digital pianos Yamaha at all.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
GregC wrote:

I wonder if true on cars at least - where branding is essential.

How do you
- eliminate all sound from tires towards surface
- eliminate wind noise
- eliminate engine noise
- make it comfy as sitting long hours
- eliminate noise when slamming a door
- control behavior in extreme situations
- assist driver in any critical situation

So building a top model for a small market - they learn how to do that. At first very expensive but over time find cheaper ways to do the same, or close to, since having that knowledge now.

I think Merc, BMW and Lexus are doing this. Having deluxe models that very few can afford. But anybody is happy to at least have a simpler model of those brands.

You can finance research and knowhow, kind of, staying ahead of competition.

But synths and workstations are probably not driven by branding so much, but could be wrong.

But the big dragons are watching each other closely still.

ARP 2600 I consider such a project and about branding. Korg has really built knowhow on analog synths now since Odyssey or so.

Roland is more or less about doing digital emulations of analog they did 40 years ago.

Yamaha had tremendous success with DX7 and continued that FM route, more or less. Abandoned CS80 style, if I am not mistaken. Just had digital pianos Yamaha at all.

Sorry. I don't believe in most " analogies " . They are inherently flawed for many actual comparisons.

You are talking Apples. I am talking Oranges.

Roland, Korg, Yamaha have been grooming their market niche[s] since the 80's {? }. Or 90's.

All 3 co's have built an enthusiastic or mostly loyal customer base.

I also believe all 3 are friendly competitors. True, they have their own approach, as expected. I am 99% certain they communicatefreely with each other. For example, I doubt Korg/Yamaha was surprised by the new Fantom last October.
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Roland, Korg, Yamaha have been grooming their market niche[s] since the 80's {? }. Or 90's.

You say "grooming towards" I say "branding"....Wink

Branding is succesful when somebody say
- I'm a Korg guy, you know
- I'm a Fender guy
- I'm a Gibson guy

or whatever. And they make endorsement deal with artist to use their name for this.

Since Korg have released so many analog synths in later years - I'd say Korg want to be thought of as leaders in this. And doing this limited edition ARP 2600 was part of that - jewel in the crown one could say.

Probably due to EDM music became so big that synths came into play again in a big way.

Still curious if Uli Behringers passion for Jupiter 8 that I read about somewhere will show off with a true replica one day. Many teasers before NAMM 2020 speculated a bit over that.

I swore not to get another mono synth - but when 2600 turns up I might look into that, probably a PolyD too. Sounds really nice.

I found some real nice bass on my Prologue, but something about those filters in those other guys.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
GregC wrote:

You say "grooming towards" I say "branding"....Wink

Branding is succesful when somebody say
- I'm a Korg guy, you know
- I'm a Fender guy
- I'm a Gibson guy

or whatever. And they make endorsement deal with artist to use their name for this.

Since Korg have released so many analog synths in later years - I'd say Korg want to be thought of as leaders in this. And doing this limited edition ARP 2600 was part of that - jewel in the crown one could say.

Probably due to EDM music became so big that synths came into play again in a big way.

Still curious if Uli Behringers passion for Jupiter 8 that I read about somewhere will show off with a true replica one day. Many teasers before NAMM 2020 speculated a bit over that.

I swore not to get another mono synth - but when 2600 turns up I might look into that, probably a PolyD too. Sounds really nice.

I found some real nice bass on my Prologue, but something about those filters in those other guys.

the discussion was about:

" think you are right about Behringer. I welcome their competition to Roland, Korg, and Yamaha. esp for the high priced $3000-$4000 boards."

If you want to return to the topic, thats is my interest.
Narioso

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

the discussion was about:

" think you are right about Behringer. I welcome their competition to Roland, Korg, and Yamaha. esp for the high priced $3000-$4000 boards."

I quoted what I commented on
- you say it's always about the money, that company make money out of every release
- I say they may actually loose money on one release but build branding

Transferred to workstations again - it could mean Kronos as a release does not make Korg any money.

But they move Jordan Rudess over from Kurzweil and make a signature model for him - branding the Korg with "this is what the best musicians use".

It could be Kronos is a success making Korg money - or not. But it's not "always about the money".

And I don't think ARP 2600 was about the money either. Seems they a positioning Korg as leader of analog gear, to me.

As I mentionedd in my car analogy - they actually learn stuff as they go along. Recreating the greatest stuff from the past, but with improvements of todays knowhow. Better tuning stability etc.

This "old gear" that not only were innovative but masterpieces as it turns out. Worth recreating today.

I don't mind subtopics in "my threads" as started.
As you said - I also enjoy the discussion.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still the manufacturer that everyone forgets: Casio.

As a master device, their flagship device (they bill it as an arranger, but it's more than that) is quite capable of running a studio and making interesting music.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny how Behringer gets thrown under the bus when we are talking about stuff like this. They actually make good stuff and have for a while now. In their earlier days, they were bottom of the barrel in quality. Now, their stuff is truly world class.

One cannot deny their success in the market. Their mixers are good (I have a number of them in my studio and live rigs), their speakers seem to be doing well, and their synths are generating more interest than any other company right now.

Is it bad that they are creating synths based on older synths from other companies? I do not see the problem. They are taking the 'original' and improving upon it. Their Deepmind synth may be patterned from a Roland analog unit, but they improved upon it such that it has its own character. It is hugely popular and the users really seem to like it.

Their Model D has generated more buzz in recent memory than any other synth that I know of.

It is funny how they seem to be upping the game and people seem to be upset that they are. Korg is the only other company, that I know of, that actually has a line of analog that is useful. Soft-synths and VA units just do not sound the same (but they are close).

I cannot fault Behringer at all for what they've done, as they have opened up the equipment for many more users. How many people can afford the original Roland 808? Not many. How many people can afford the Behringer RD-8? Almost everybody. It sounds like the original, acts like the original, and has a few features the original did not have that allow it to integrate better in the modern studio/live setups.

We easily forget that the high end synths we buy today are mostly emulating original analog/acoustic instruments. Soft synths do the same thing, but often are in much greater detail. I prefer hardware synths and do not use soft-synths at all. We seem to gloss over the fact that the piano samples in the Korg are Yamaha/Fazioli/Steinway grands and compared to the originals of these and use them anyway. Korg's HD engine has been around since the OASYS, and still sounds great and is relevant today. Even the little Kross has good sounds in it, derived from the HD engine. The M3 had the EDS engine (as did the M50). The Krome uses it, the Kross has the EDS-i engine. The Kronos still has the HD engine because it is relevant.

Korg, Roland, and Yamaha are in a good position. Korg may be in the best situation of all, of those three. Yamaha is too pricey, even for their quality, Roland is trying new technologies, and Korg is staying the course with gear for all user and price levels.

Behringer has a name problem that they seem to be overcoming well. They were known for low quality gear that failed much of the time and now their name is much different. Their only real problem now is availability of these new products.

Casio is in a similar situation because they are known as the 'consumer toy' category, even though A LOT of their stuff is really great. The Privia is an exception because it brought great piano action and such to the market and people wanted that. Their arrangers, namely the MZ-X300/500, are really good but because of their name, aren't as well known. They still need to overcome their branding from the past.

I plan on getting some Behringer synth stuff in the future. I would LOVE to have the MonoPoly, Deepmind-12 and a couple others. My most recent new gear purchase was the Korg Minilogue XD, however, and I think that Korg has it right. I may even get the Minilogue XD Module to go with it for 8 voices of polyhony.

If Behringer does anything, maybe it will be to wake up the other companies to actually release stuff at more affordable prices that people want. Even though the big three are in a good position, they could be in a better one.

One thing I hope is that we can really break past the 4-voice analog barrier and makes the synths more viable than just bleeps and blips and other noises that some market them for. The Behringer Deepmind-12, Korg Prologue 8/16 are the only ones that I Know of that offer enough polyphony to actually make a difference in playing pad sounds.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: