Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programming questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0blee

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Programming questions Reply with quote

I am a new owner of a Kross 2, and I'm baffled by the complexity of the user interface. So far, I've managed to copy some Prog and Combi patches into the user area, where I can modify them. There are a few things that baffle me though.

1) How do I set the maximum volume of a program? The organ is too loud and the EP is too soft. I'm using an expression pedal. When I switch to the EP it's loud enough, but as soon as I touch the pedal the volume decreases. The organ doesn't do that.

2) How can I set a patch to not be polyphonic? A flute can't play 2 notes at once, for example. I want to set it so that I can't accidentally play two notes.

I have more questions, but these are the things I'm stuck on right now.

I'm not too interested in MIDI or sequencing. I mainly want to use it to jam with friends in real time. We play mostly latin jazz, reggae, and oldies. My goal is to have a bunch of very usable sounds at my fingertips, and be able to switch between them quickly.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

1) Maximum volume for a Program can be set in the Program menu, page 0, Mixer tab, where it is possible to set the levels of Osc 1 (and Osc 2, if used), drums, and the Step Seq. 127 is the maximum possible value.

2) Program polyphony can be set in Program menu page 2, P-Basic, Voice tab, Voice parameter. Once Mono is set for this, the Unison setting becomes available, allowing two or more stacked voices to be used, giving a thicker sound, in effect using the available polyphony in a different way.

b0blee

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The plethora of parameters in this instrument is overwhelming, and it's hard to read the 350-page PDF manual on a computer screen. Are printed manuals available anywhere?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks again.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Kross 1 (three of them, actually) and I have found that while I love programming on board, the editor is MUCH easier to use for programming.

Since I have 3 of them, but only one at home at present (the Kross 88 is being repaired and I just ordered another Kross 61 over the weekend), I have been programming the one I have at home (Kross 61) with the PC editor (which can be run as a stand-alone program) and programming it with the editor is so easy. Everything is there for you to edit on the screen and it makes programming much easier than on the little screens on the Kross (the Kross 2 as well). My plan is to simply plug in the SD card from the one I have been working on into the other Kross synths and they will be exactly what I programmed.

It is something to consider.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
b0blee

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
I have a Kross 1 (three of them, actually) and I have found that while I love programming on board, the editor is MUCH easier to use for programming.

I was hesitant to try it because Korg said it required MacOS 10.10. My ancient (2006) Mac Pro can't go above 10.7.5. But I just now installed it and, lo and behold, it works!

Thanks for the push.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0blee wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:

I was hesitant to try it because Korg said it required MacOS 10.10. My ancient (2006) Mac Pro can't go above 10.7.5. But I just now installed it and, lo and behold, it works!

Thanks for the push.

I am glad that it appears to be working. I think that you will get a lot of mileage out of the editor when programming the Kross. Connect up your Kross to the computer with the USB cable, turn on the Kross and let it boot up, and then start the program. The program should recognize the Kross and automatically start receiving the data from the Kross. It should take about 20-30 seconds at most.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: