Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M1- Realistic Piano sounds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddy99

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Korg M1- Realistic Piano sounds? Reply with quote

Hi There,

I just started to use a Kork M1 and have located a way to move through the standard sounds, including a few pianoish/buzzer sounding piano sounds at the bottom of the numeric listing but they do not sound like a piano. I am seeking a way to locate or program this keyboard so that when I play it, it actually sounds like a real piano. Is this a possible goal that I can acheive?

I had seen a previous post on downloading sounds but the link was not functional and a follow up post suggestion on a new link was not descriptive and or functioning either. I am also seeking video tutorials for this keyboard. I have searched the internet and Youtube but most all show individuals playing the device and of no use helping me to learn how to use all the buttons to program and or utilize the piano. Any suggestions would be helpful. Are there any user groups or instructors in the Los Angeles, Ca area?

Thanks,

Buddy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg M1 is a classic keyboard from 1988. The sounds it generates come from samples occupying a total of 4MB or ROM (Read Only Memory). The piano is relatively low-fi by modern standards, though that didn't stop the M1 piano, and other sounds, finding their way into a host of notable records from the day. Because the basic sampled sounds are stored in ROM, there is no feature on the M1 for adding further samples. The only way to add further samples is by using expansion cards, which normally come in pairs. One card of each pair contains the additional PCM samples, and the other contains the Program and Combi data that define how and which samples are used, and the effects employed.

If you are after high quality piano sounds, the Krome or Kronos both have excellent sounding pianos, based on long, unlooped samples carefully recorded across the keys, at multiple velocities, from highly regarded pianos.

As for learning to program the M1, the Owner's Manual and the Operations Guide are good sources of information. There is also the M1 Super Guide. See e.g:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/139/

Mellontikos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I absolutely love the M1 Piano, there is almost no way you're going to make it sound like a "real" Steinway'ish piano.

The best bet would be to probably use an EQ Filter and tune out the tinny frequencies while boosting up the "pianoish" frequencies.

I got really good results back in the day when I still had my Triton classic, getting that horrible Triton piano to sound better.

If you really need a good piano sound from an older board, get the 01/Wpro. The two stock piano samples in it are lightyears ahead of the M1 in "realism"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: