Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA1000 Backings volume via midi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvandewauw

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: PA1000 Backings volume via midi Reply with quote

Hello I am new on this forum.
Few days ago I received my PA1000
All works fine but there is an issue with the setup of my midi

I use a Hammond SKx and my Hammond Bass (via channel 3) sends his midi to the PA1000, and this creates there a chord
So the Pa1000 gives the backings for my Hammond

But, When I use the Hammond volume (expression) pedal , the (right hand) key board part of the PA1000 follows well the volume from the expression panel. Unfortunately the Backing Volume (Lower part of the Pa 1000) remains at the fix level. A good solution for me is to solve this by my expression pedal that manages the Master Volume on the Pa 1000. But I don't know if this is possible ;-(

All your knowledge and experience will be wellcome...
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: PA1000 Backings volume via midi Reply with quote

mvandewauw wrote:
.. issue with the setup of my midi..

It think it is important first to to define exactly which midi messages are sent (from Hammond) on which midi channels and how they should be used in receiver. So makes it easier to decide how to distribute the midi signals of the receiver (Pa4x) to get an intended result.

If you send note-events on channel 3 for chord-recognition of your Pa4x, there are the Chord 1 and Chord 2 channels, programmed in the Global > MIDI > MIDI IN Control page. So with Pa4x set Chord1 in your Midi-In-Control-page to "3" that you can receive notes for chord recognition. These notes will be combined with the notes received on the special Global channel. Contrary to the Global channel, the Chord channels are not affected by the split point. However, the status of the SPLIT button will change the way chords are recognized on the Chord channels (see manual page 875).
What you want to do additional to play Pa4x backing-chords with SKx-events is not described understandably.
What kind of Midi-Messages of SKx you want to use with Pa4x?
If no channels are assigned in Midi-In of the Pa4x (ch01-16 = off), then it does not accept any more Midi events (also no expression events) from your Hammond SKx.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
mvandewauw

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: PA1000 Backings volume via midi Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your reply Siebenhirter

Just to explain a little more as you requested:

I play both keybeds on the SKx , but the Skx is a stagekeyboard without backing vocals. How i did recently the setup with a Roland BK9 was as follow: I play both keybeds and I use also the basspedals. When I press a "c" on the basspedals, this goes to the BK9 and triggers the chord ( Cmajor) and this is then used in the backing. When I use my expression pedal, the volume on the Hammond and the volume on the Kb9 will change. I even use the right side of the split point as a third keybed.

Now with the PA1000 I wanted to do the same.
For the midi; on the Skx there are 3 external zones for transmission:
---I activated ExZone 3 and in ExZone 3 i have selected 'pedal' and Midi channel 3 and CC7 ( for the volume)
---I also activated Exzone 1 and in Exzone 1 I've put midi channel 1 and only activated CC7 there (no upper or lower keyboard). Maybe this is wrong but I could not find if the global parameters were sent together with the midi signals from my basspedals
---note; Lower/upper keyboard information don't need to go to the PA1000 ( that is the reason why I didn't select upper nor lower in exzone1 and exzone2). I keep these local.

In PA100 I set channel 1 on 'global' to be sure th get that CC7; Even the other 15 channels I have left on default value and in the chord page I have set the "chord 1" settings on 3.

Maybe a long story but that was what i did ( and was perfectly working with the BK9)

So: Nothing wrong now when playing except:
If I use the expression pedal on the SKX; The volume on the Skx changes AND also the volume of the right side of the split point on the Pa1000. I wished that the volume on the left side of my split-point was also working with that expression pedal .....

Cheers
mvandewauw

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: PA1000 Backings volume via midi Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your reply Siebenhirter

Just to explain a little more as you requested:

I play both keybeds on the SKx , but the Skx is a stagekeyboard without backing vocals. How i did recently the setup with a Roland BK9 was as follow: I play both keybeds and I use also the basspedals. When I press a "c" on the basspedals, this goes to the BK9 and triggers the chord ( Cmajor) and this is then used in the backing. When I use my expression pedal, the volume on the Hammond and the volume on the Kb9 will change. I even use the right side of the split point as a third keybed.

Now with the PA1000 I wanted to do the same.
For the midi; on the Skx there are 3 external zones for transmission:
---I activated ExZone 3 and in ExZone 3 i have selected 'pedal' and Midi channel 3 and CC7 ( for the volume)
---I also activated Exzone 1 and in Exzone 1 I've put midi channel 1 and only activated CC7 there (no upper or lower keyboard). Maybe this is wrong but I could not find if the global parameters were sent together with the midi signals from my basspedals
---note; Lower/upper keyboard information don't need to go to the PA1000 ( that is the reason why I didn't select upper nor lower in exzone1 and exzone2). I keep these local.

In PA100 I set channel 1 on 'global' to be sure th get that CC7; Even the other 15 channels I have left on default value and in the chord page I have set the "chord 1" settings on 3.

Maybe a long story but that was what i did ( and was perfectly working with the BK9)

So: Nothing wrong now when playing except:
If I use the expression pedal on the SKX; The volume on the Skx changes AND also the volume of the right side of the split point on the Pa1000. I wished that the volume on the left side of my split-point was also working with that expression pedal .....

Cheers
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: PA1000 Backings volume via midi Reply with quote

mvandewauw wrote:
.. the expression pedal on the SKX; The volume on the Skx changes AND also the volume of the right side of the split point on the Pa1000. I wished that the volume on the left side of my split-point was also working with that expression pedal .....

I think you have mixed up something (volume / expression) - your keyboards should work with the following settings:

SKx:
--- activate ExZone 3 put midi channel 3 and select pedal (only pedal nothing else)
--- activate Exzone 1 put midi channel 1 only activate CC11 (nothing else, because only expression will be transmitted separate for each extermal channel, to be used globally for Pa1000s realtime-tracks)

Pa1000:
Midi-In Control Page: set Chord1 to channel 3
Midi-In: set channel 1 to Global, set all other channels (2 .... 16) to "OFF"
on panel: "Chord Scan"-buttons both Lower and Upper set off (inactivate both buttons, to use only pedal for chord-recognition)

So it should be possible to use expression pedal of SKx for both devices inclusive right side of the split point (lower sound) on the Pa1000.

PS: I do not know exactly what happens with Pa1000 if pressing both the CHORD SCAN (LOWER+UPPER) buttons to turn their indicators "off".
Maybe only the Drum and Percussion tracks will continue to play, so it is necessary to activate at least one of the buttons to activate chord recognition (I could not test Midi-In-Controls from Pa1000 with external control).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: