Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More engines..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: More engines.. Reply with quote

Asuming there will ever be a Kronos replacement..

How many new engines would Korg have available?

When i look at their vst synths
And their gadgets..
And their other hardware engines like EXS, organs in grandstage, wavestate

Korg has everything needed to set the next step..
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg could improve on the engines they already have. That would make more sense to me.

I am not into the latest ' shiny new thing' .
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for a Korg PS-3300 engine, as this incredible vintage synth remains legendary even today. But I can stay busy and very happy for another 10 years with my current Kronos 2 as is. Cool
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Korg could improve on the engines they already have.

I agree. For example, just adding more filter types (such as those from the King Korg), or even an analogue filter option the way the new Fantom did.

New effects would add to the engines, as well. Loving some of the pitch and stutter stuff I'm hearing on the MC-707.

The sampler could use some improved pitch/time stretching. I can only dream of elastic audio, like Variphrase. (Sorry about all the Roland references.)

Unfortunately, for many users, the existing engines remain largely unexplored.

The Kronos 10 year anniversary is coming up. Definitely a ripe time for the new model. I think the new flagship will be cheaper and have easier worfflow and navigation. I would welcome new engines, though.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Korg could improve on the engines they already have. That would make more sense to me.

I am not into the latest ' shiny new thing' .

Its not like they only have the 9 engines in the Kronos?

Seems they are able to convert all their current engines to any platform..

Both the transistor as well as the combo organ engines would make much sense..

As would the M1, the wavestate, the arp 2600 and a few others..
Even the EXS with its DNC sounds would make sense..

Improving the current Kronos engines offcourse isnt a bad thing either..
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote : "Unfortunately, for many users, the existing engines remain largely unexplored."
I agree totally with this.
And, if Korg only improve the actual Kronos with more memory and more new effects it will be just perfect for me.
The only regret I have is that : The VSTi are often more funny to manipulate than the Kronos concerning the twisting of their sounds. As exemples Zebra, Helix, Vertigo, Phonem etc [and not to forget the fabulous "old" Gaugear ensemble (for Reaktor) which is a kind of a true miracle to create with. Shocked Very Happy ]

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Mike Conway wrote : "Unfortunately, for many users, the existing engines remain largely unexplored."
And, if Korg only improve the actual Kronos with more memory and more new effects it will be just perfect for me.
]

yes, we have had this conversation a fewtimes ,esp about " why " and/or "why not "

After all these years I don't expect any thing significant
for Kronos.

My take is that Korg has many new products in the market for the past few years, and they get the resources for support. Since Korg's priority is to sell those new products every year.

IOW, I think we are seeing Korg's business priorities. Sorry if this sounds repetitive.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of feel like a lot of synths they might add would be the equivalent of "eye candy". Like for example, a lot of the Gadgets are fairly simple, purpose-built synths meant to do a specific thing well. I would bet the "big 4" Kronos's synth engines (HD-1, AL-1, MOD-7, STR-1) could already cover most of them. (Would actually be an interesting little project, trying to recreate Gadget presets on the K).

But hey, as long as we're dreaming, I'd like to see an HD-2 synth. Add granular sample playback. For what Mike mentions - being able to control the pitch and sample length independently in an automatic granular mode. And also include some manual control over grain playback to be able to do some good ol' granular weirdness. Maybe some wavetable playback with a real phase accumulator too.

That would be fun. And of course I wouldn't mind some new filters, FX, and/or synth engines too.

But of course realistically, I can say that I personally haven't scratched the surface of the 9 synth engines and FX that are already there can do. There's so much depth there.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
kronoSphere wrote:
]

yes, we have had this conversation a fewtimes ,esp about " why " and/or "why not "

After all these years I don't expect any thing significant
for Kronos.

My take is that Korg has many new products in the market for the past few years, and they get the resources for support. Since Korg's priority is to sell those new products every year.

IOW, I think we are seeing Korg's business priorities. Sorry if this sounds repetitive.

Abolutely agree with that !

1°) How many threads about that ? "Why Korg doesn't....", "Why there is no...." ?
It's always the same song. "We expect this and that"

2°) Who has really got deeply inside all the Kronos parts and who is really mastering all its capabilities ?

3°) That's called the GAS : Gear Acquisition Syndrom. We want always something new, something more exciting, more shiny. Exactly as little children. Once we get something new, once we get it, quickly we get bored and look elsewhere.
It's a terrible disease wich leads us to misery. (Personnly, I try to fight against this disease !!)

4°) Definitely we must get rid of the idea of a new "something" in the Kronos. There will be no Kronos 3 or something. It's over. There will be no new engine in the Kronos.

5°) Why not getting into our Kronos, as it is, more deeply ? Some produce beautiful music with this single unit. (Our friend GregC, for example).
Some are creating amazing vintage sounds, as Broadwave who has created great vintage analog string synth sounds with MOD7 engine (I would never believe it'd be possible !)
Recently I've wtached this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swm_gMX3EMM.

6°) We often say it : limitations and obstacles are the very seeds of creation. So why not enjoy this fabulous instrument, as it is ?
laandodeman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly true that not all potential has been explored in the existing engines.

However, there is one which I really tried, upside down and inside out: the CX3 and I am sorry to say it is just not good enough imho for rock music. Even in reviews of our cd's I get remarks about my "thin hammond sound".

Also, the leslie simulation is not up to todays standards. I would hope that Korg would strike a deal with the makers of Neo Ventilator to integrate that technology in the Kronos 3 Smile

I would trade my Kronos 2 for a Kronos 3 without hesitation.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
Possibly true that not all potential has been explored in the existing engines.

However, there is one which I really tried, upside down and inside out: the CX3 and I am sorry to say it is just not good enough imho for rock music. Even in reviews of our cd's I get remarks about my "thin hammond sound".

Also, the leslie simulation is not up to todays standards. I would hope that Korg would strike a deal with the makers of Neo Ventilator to integrate that technology in the Kronos 3 Smile

I would trade my Kronos 2 for a Kronos 3 without hesitation.

Well, it's your opinion, not mine. For what I'm playing, CX3 is perfect. Many people enjoy the Kronos CX3 too. But I can hear it's not your case. It's OK.

If your are looking for true organ sounds, a workstation is probably not the right choice, be a Kronos 2, 3 or 10 !!
You should rather go either for a VST solution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWymVu9ZEhc) or even for an Hammond and Leslie. Nothing would equal that. Neo ventilator is just an approximation of Leslie.

Just listen to that :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8_u_i-anQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCQbKQ5LHM[/url]
laandodeman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the real hammond/leslie sound pretty well Liviou. I own a Hammond m102 and a leslie 147 in my studio. For live use this setup is impossible though - at least for my backbone Smile

So on stage I did a tour for two years and I could get away with the Kronos CX3 and the Neo. But without the Neo, the Kronos' leslie sim is just no option - again IMHO.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 1 man band musician, the CX-3 is definitely adequate.

It records beautifully in my originals.

I have total control over my instrument mixes.

If I had to compete with a loud lead guitarist and a rock drummer, and a person running the PA who wasn't into keyboards, it would be a totally different story.

Bottom line, " it depends ".
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
I know the real hammond/leslie sound pretty well Liviou. I own a Hammond m102 and a leslie 147 in my studio. For live use this setup is impossible though - at least for my backbone Smile

So on stage I did a tour for two years and I could get away with the Kronos CX3 and the Neo. But without the Neo, the Kronos' leslie sim is just no option - again IMHO.

So, you did found a solution which suits you ?
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: More engines.. Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Asuming there will ever be a Kronos replacement..

How many new engines would Korg have available?

When i look at their vst synths
And their gadgets..
And their other hardware engines like EXS, organs in grandstage, wavestate

Korg has everything needed to set the next step..

I think an obvious addition would be the programmable digital oscillator they have on the Prologue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: