Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-20ic Mod, Env Gen, and Trig LED activity from VST/AU?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac808

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: MS-20ic Mod, Env Gen, and Trig LED activity from VST/AU? Reply with quote

I have searched the Internet far and wide and found no answer to this question. Emailed Korg Support a couple weeks ago, no response. (Yet?)

In a nutshell:

MS-20ic LED lights for the envelops + mod generators + gate work when the controller is plugged into the iMS-20 app for iPad.

However, they don't work at all when using the AU version, or the standalone/VST.

Has anyone gotten this to work? The VST/AU were around before the iPad, so this makes little sense. It seems like it was made to work with the VST, but so far, no luck.

I'm using Ableton Live as my main host, and everything else works. Just not the LEDs. I even have the Remote setting turned on in Ableton's config.

Thank you, in advance!
Mac808

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Support wrote back!

"Thank you for contacting Korg USA Product Support. We’re not sure if you received a response to your last inquiry. If not, we apologize for the delay!

We are currently looking into this issue of the EG LED not lighting up and will try to resolve it in the next update."

So, there we have it - bug that will be fixed in next release.

Thanks, Korg!
HermanR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Mac808, I have been intrigued by this very issue for a long time.

According to the manual, the LEDs will only work with the standalone version and as you said, with the iOS standalone version. But not with the plugins, which I find very frustrating. It may have to do with the way MIDI behaves when within a DAW, and maybe they thought we wouldn't mind. But it does make a huge difference in the experience (and part of the charm).

Fingers crossed for a fix soon!

I love my MS20ic to bits! In my view, all the fun of having a hardware synth, and none of the limitations. And to my ears, no difference. But I do have to say, I find the "scaling" on the filter when the Res is all the way up a bit annoying, as well as the lack of smaller values when detuning OSC 2.

I wonder if that's a limitation on the pots they used on the hardware, of hopefully, another software script thing that might be improved...?
Mac808

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to do that would be to hijack Pitch Bend, which uses its own CC type. Continuous controllers are limited to 128 steps. Pitch bend uses its own message type to avoid the stairstep effect.

HermanR wrote:
hey Mac808, I have been intrigued by this very issue for a long time.

According to the manual, the LEDs will only work with the standalone version and as you said, with the iOS standalone version. But not with the plugins, which I find very frustrating. It may have to do with the way MIDI behaves when within a DAW, and maybe they thought we wouldn't mind. But it does make a huge difference in the experience (and part of the charm).

Fingers crossed for a fix soon!

I love my MS20ic to bits! In my view, all the fun of having a hardware synth, and none of the limitations. And to my ears, no difference. But I do have to say, I find the "scaling" on the filter when the Res is all the way up a bit annoying, as well as the lack of smaller values when detuning OSC 2.

I wonder if that's a limitation on the pots they used on the hardware, of hopefully, another software script thing that might be improved...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: