Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RNDIS driver in Windows 10 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sol_hsa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smurf606 wrote:
So - forgive my ignorance - I have never come across RNDIS before and maybe by coincidence have never had this kind of issue with usb on ANY OTHER device before. Would it be possible to get the wavestate to work in a more standard way over usb? is that possible? One where you don't have to go rummaging in the device manager?

Basically RDNIS is microsoft's way of making it easier to create network interfaces without writing custom drivers. Kinda like how your USB memory sticks, mice or keyboards work "without drivers". For some reason that microsoft has not stated, the drivers seem to have disappeared in win10 version 2004. (Mac os and linux also support rdnis so this isn't exactly microsoft-only).

I've heard that some other hardware that depends on RDNIS has gotten dedicated drivers since, which is probably what korg should also do. I don't know how much effort this would be.

For a reason or other microsoft hasn't just rolled back the drivers. Maybe some security fix rendered the drivers incompatible. Who knows, because they aren't talking.
Bozzy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Possible workaround Reply with quote

Hi.

I've just successfully updated my new Wavestate, my PC runs Windows 10 20H2 so no RNDIS drivers here, but I've solved the problem by installing Windows 10 1909 on a Virtual Machine and running the system updater from here Cool

I'm not going to explain how to get a Windows VM up and running here, please search the web for this. The Windows 10 1909 ISO images are downloadable from Microsoft website, you can install it on a VM using for example VirtualBox (it's free).

You can have the system installed without a serial number, it runs normally for a month or so before asking for activation, but you need it just for a few minutes so that's not a problem if you only need to run the system updater.

If you'll use VirtualBox, please also install the Extension Pack and configure the VM to support USB 2.0, we need it to run the updater (at least I think so... maybe it'll work also with USB 1.1, but it'll be veeery slow).

Hope this can be helpful Wink
sol_hsa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Possible workaround Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
If you'll use VirtualBox, please also install the Extension Pack and configure the VM to support USB 2.0, we need it to run the updater (at least I think so... maybe it'll work also with USB 1.1, but it'll be veeery slow).

Well, it at least doesn't work without the extension pack, the driver won't install. With the extension pack I've managed to install the driver but things are still not working; the device refuses to start (or some such). I'll install updates and see if that helps.
sol_hsa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, either it was the updates or the fact I unplugged and inserted the usb cable, but librarian seems to work under the VM now.
Laag4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: I'm new to the Wavestate, and I'm sad about this issue. Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add myself to the list of people who are experiencing this issue.
I just got my Wavestate on November 27'th 2020. Running latest version of windows (20H2). Opened the three ports on my windows firewall. No luck.

Installing the VM to get the update seems like a smart idea, but I know that can take a while to install. I'll probably do it. I really hope Korg comes up with a good solution.

At least with a VM you can uninstall it after its done. I like to keep my system clean.

I'm really excited to learn how to use all of the features of this Synth. I think the Librarian would really be a nice feature, and in theory the updater would be a nice feature as well assuming it would just work, but the world of software is a complex one, and there are always issues (many people just don't even know about.) unfortunately this one does have a big impact.

I appreciate the folks at Korg working on this issue. Thanks.
Bozzy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any user running Windows 10 2004 or 20H2 will have the issue. This is mathematical, not something one can have and one not.
Korg knows that and stated they're actively working with Microsoft to sort that, so we just have to wait for a real solution.
In the meantime, the VM is a good workaroung. Nowadays, with fast computers, fast internet connections and SSD disks, the whole process of downloading the Win10 1909 ISO, creating a VM and installing it doesn't take so much time. I've done all from zero to hero in an hour or so. It's worth it.
Laag4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: The VM trick worked for me (for updating the Korg) Reply with quote

I was able to download an ISO that I found from this website here: https://www.itechtics.com/windows-10-1909/
and used VirtualBox
I Followed the instructions Bozzy posted earlier about installing the updater via the VM and it worked. Took a while but I'm happy to be running the latest version of the Wavestate firmware.

For now I think I'll wait for the fix to really start using the librarian. I downloaded that to my VM to check it out, but I've had to work on VMs in the past and am not a fan... I have horror stories... Anyway, thanks for the tip Bozzy
Waveform

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I'm clear, Is it just the Librarian and firmware updates that are affected by this, or is it Midi over USB? (New owner - Black Friday Purchase!) Smile
sol_hsa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waveform wrote:
Just so I'm clear, Is it just the Librarian and firmware updates that are affected by this, or is it Midi over USB? (New owner - Black Friday Purchase!) Smile

As far as I know the midi over usb should work, as it uses a different interface (haven't tried, though); the firmware updates and librarian are affected.

I presume the assumption is that the librarian will transfer large amounts of data at some point (i.e, samples) and they didn't want to make users wait a week while sending a couple gigabytes over midi sysex.. =)
Bozzy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that MIDI over USB works correctly in Win 10 20H2.

As for the assumption, the librarian doesn't transfer samples, it only transfers "patch" data (which can be quite big anyway, considering the amount of parameters each performance can have). Surely the firmware update can transfer much more data and, I assume, using RNDIS speeds up things a lot when updating.
sol_hsa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
As for the assumption, the librarian doesn't transfer samples, it only transfers "patch" data (which can be quite big anyway, considering the amount of parameters each performance can have).

It doesn't transfer samples *yet*.
Bozzy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sol_hsa wrote:

Wait, do you know something I don't? Will it be possible to transfer user samples to the Wavestate? Rolling Eyes
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think *yet* refer to hopes that some have.

I think updater, can load samples or anything internally on lowest level.
But not made for user purposes *yet*....
sol_hsa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
sol_hsa wrote:

Wait, do you know something I don't? Will it be possible to transfer user samples to the Wavestate? Rolling Eyes

I don't know anything you don't. There's no physical limitation that would stop user samples. The synth even says when booting that it's loading samples to memory, meaning they're not stored in some fixed rom banks.

The patches use the network interface instead of midi sysexes. If they were just for the relatively small performance configurations, that would be a slight overkill..
gizmotron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just setting a post so that I will be notified any time anyone adds to this thread.

Hope they get this solved sooner rather than later. Just got my WaveState two days ago. I'm so amazed by this equipment.

Wow, Sequencing 2.0

They thought of everything but a Microsoft roll-out / upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: