Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Exclusive question for the techies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisFrost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: MIDI Exclusive question for the techies Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help me with something. I’m interested to make myself my own custom “Korg MIDI Controller”, particularly for use with the Triton Rack and MOSS board, however I’m a little stumped by something.

According to page 227 of the Triton Rack Parameter Guide it states ...

Quote:

Editing sounds etc.

By using various MIDI exclusive data dumps, you can rewrite all programs or an individual program. By using parameter change messages, you can edit individual parameters as follows.

Parameter changes
    - In Program mode, all parameters other than the program name can be edited. Performance editor parameters are included.
    - In Combination mode, parameters other than the combination name can be edited.
    - In Multi mode, you can edit parameters other than the multi name, “Control Track”, “RPPR On/Off”, “Tempo” of the 1.1: Play-4-4: MIDI Filter 4 pages, and the parameters of 6.1: ARP., 7.1 BUS, 7.2: Insert FX, and 7.3: Master FX.

However, on pages 241-242 (MIDI Implementation, 2. Recognised Received Data) it has no mention of anything beyond standard control data, no mention of selecting oscillators/PCM sample data (etc.,) so I’m a little unsure whether page 227 was in error or whether pages 241-242 do not cover all the system exclusive information. There are some Editor/Librarian software out there which I assume does this through system exclusive, so does anyone know where I can find this out?

What I ultimately want to do is create my own rendition of a virtual analog control layout for the MOSS board, but if I had control over the PCM section too, even better. If it works how I imagine, it’ll work with all my Korg stuff, not just the Triton Rack.

Many thanks to all who reply!

Trinity Pro X, Triton Rack, Triton LE
michelet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

In the past I was used to create virtual consoles with MotU Digital Performer, to edit certain synth parameters on the fly. It's not the same as having a dedicated editor, but it helps.
Digital Performer is a sophisticated MIDI and audio sequencer, a DAW for short, which has a very strong section to manage CC and sys-ex messages.

Thus, to probe sys-ex messages I used this simple but effective system:
- connect the instrument, Triton Rack in this case, to the MIDI IN/OUT ports of your MIDI interface
- arm a track on the sequencer on the same MIDI channel of Triton Rack (usually #1)
- start recording
- fumble with Triton Rack and recall the parameters you're for and edit them

When you're done, stop recording and analyse the track's content.

It will contain seveal sys-ex strings corresponding to the parameters you're for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: