Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll Do you want OS enhancements for Kronos ? +Communication
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

OS Enhancements for Kronos
yes
94%
 94%  [ 82 ]
no
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 87

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
Of course I would vote Yes to this, why would anyone vote no?

However, I would really like to see a successor to Kronos (that would still load programs/combis from Kronos) that uses the latest tech and state of art touchscreen along with new engines, lots more RAM and banks, also be powerful controller/master keyboard.

I know, we have heard whispers for 3 years.
There are numerous post topics on speculation and wish lists

I am a planner, thus my requirements are short term, not long term.

IOW, I live and work in 'today '.

I am confident Korg " could " offer an enhanced OS, to demonstrate tangible support to Kronos owners, owners who invest
in Kronos 9 years ago, and owners who bought a Kronos today.
Devnor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted NO. They could add more stuff but that does nothing to address the underlying issues such as workflow, the need for bells & whistles and colored controls that will tempt the buyer from a Fantom or Montage. At it stands, Kronos has a freak ton of options that most would agree are unexplored or obsolete.

A year ago Kronos was the industry standard, state of the art. A quick search of threads not far back praising Kronos. What changed? That crappy Fantom? Montage OS3? The made in China MODX?

You should not look to your keyboard as something to "invest" but instead invest in your music or selling patches or online content or simply having fun with your expensive toy. That's why they built it. The idea was never to constantly update and add features a decade later.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your time and post !
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 voters ! Things are progressing !
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of substantive, free enhancements Korg provided via the OS updates is probably unsurpassed in MI keyboards. Roland, Yamaha, Nord have never come close to that level of ongoing OS support. Kurzweil is the only possible exception. So instead of people being satisfied, they demand more. What exactly? Doesn't seem to matter, just more. Updating the OS in meaningful ways was just one of the many groundbreaking aspects of the Kronos. But it's an approach that I wouldn't be surprised to see Korg abandon in the future. What's the point? It sets an expectation and it is apparently never satisfied. Rather than satisfied customers, they are continuously expectant, unsatisfied.

No one expects their analog or electro-mechanical instrument to be "updated" over time. Only digital keyboards have that as a realistic option, and some more than others, based on design. Because they can, they must is, IMO, pretty silly.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi William, I hear you loud and clear. I read and consider your thoughts/posts.

I often think its better to sit down over a glass/bottle of good wine or beer, your choice, and have a great discussion.

We are west coast people, and our paths could cross. I am not as scary and awful as I sound Wink
Erenion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have a kronos anymore, but I would be happy to see a new update on the kronos. Kronos is an amazing keyboard but it could be even better if korg would take into accounts numerous feedbacks from kronos users and community
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said

thank you !
Galf2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, while I applaud your efforts, I don't think it will be a surprise to Korg that 98% of Kronos owners want "updates".

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Greg, while I applaud your efforts, I don't think it will be a surprise to Korg that 98% of Kronos owners want "updates".

thanks, Stephen.

you are welcome to be #33
Hector Space

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: New os Reply with quote

Yes.
Even without a hardware update, There is still tons of stuff that could be improved upon. As know from my previous posts!! Lol
The Kronos hardware is extremely flexible and could deliver a much better CX3 engine ( one that catches up with even garage band would be nice! Lol) the current CX3 is like an over loaded Christmas Tree it’s got a thousand bits stuck on it and few if any actually make the instrument sound right - it’s just a confusion of rough noise that doesn’t stack up well to a real Hammond or most of the more recent Hammond clones - the scanner vibrato chorus is particularly awful and the whole engine suffers from aliasing noise that simply marks its age as a simulation model. It would be better to start again with a new set of ears.

An SGX2 update that provides individual key editing (pitch, tone and volume) like most of the competition does.

An increase in the number of user program banks Would be ace!
I really like the idea of audition banks so instead of having to fill up your valuable user banks with sounds you may not use or worse, having some new library over write your hard work, the Kronos would have a complete set of audition banks that properly allowed you to play through the programs before loading them into your user banks. Currently you can audition samples but there is no way to audition programs and combis without loading them into your space. People have said it’s just a case of program management. I’d retort it’s actually a massive case of time and cutting off your potential future. You really want to have at your disposal all the rich variety of programs the Kronos has, but in a management audition-able way that doesn’t trash or limit your workspace.

Improved midi implementation for combi’s. Currently the footpedal is fixed to a global midi controller number. This is very limiting because it forces all timbres in a combi to either block or use that cc. In most master controllers the instruments controllers are given midi controller attributes in each sections or timbre not globally!! Korg’s current Kronos config stops proper routing and management of cc 11 (expression/swell) for each timbre Etc and forces kludge work rounds using ifx gain cells. It is especially bazaar when the CX3 engine actually calls cc 4 expression/swell!!! And unless you set your footpedal globally to cc 4 it doesn’t swell properly lol
I doubt whether they’ll be any mileage in the badly needed os improvements for new sample library loading and sample management.
It would be really nice to see the interface for AL1 updated to reflect a more modern hands on knob per function style (like the poly six engine)
Similarly HD1’s interfaces (probably the one I use most!) is very klunky! How great would it be to have real envelope sliders and filter controls!
Just some practical thoughts (I’ve plenty more! Lol)
My view is that Korg could see these as an investment because they’re all software base and any development here could feed into the next monster WS they produce (even if it’s just a software product for your Mac)
In any case I’d be much more happy paying for these kind of improvements than yet another piano I don’t need! Lol
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector, I think your observations and suggestions are excellent and viable.

Could Kronos owners settle on a " Top 5 Most wanted OS Enhancements " ?

I think this is a separate discussion.

Do Kronos owners want a prioritized " Top 5 Most wanted OS Enhancements " ?

I can start that separate communication in a post topic if several posters want to see that started.
Galf2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New os Reply with quote

Hector Space wrote:
An increase in the number of user program banks Would be ace!
I really like the idea of audition banks so instead of having to fill up your valuable user banks with sounds you may not use or worse, having some new library over write your hard work, the Kronos would have a complete set of audition banks that properly allowed you to play through the programs before loading them into your user banks. Currently you can audition samples but there is no way to audition programs and combis without loading them into your space. People have said it’s just a case of program management. I’d retort it’s actually a massive case of time and cutting off your potential future. You really want to have at your disposal all the rich variety of programs the Kronos has, but in a management audition-able way that doesn’t trash or limit your workspace.

I absolutely support! This is the most actual for me. I don't have enough free user program banks.
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans.

I don’t think a top 5 is adequate, nor feasible. I’m sure it would be a challenge to expect everyone to agree on the same five.

I can think of several ‘minor’ improvements which should be relatively simple to develop and implement, but which would contribute to better satisfaction. File management/interface inconsistencies would be tops on my list, as I deal with them nearly every time I use my Kronos.

I think a consolidated list would be useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: