Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bought ANOTHER Korg Kross...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Bought ANOTHER Korg Kross... Reply with quote

Hey, everyone...

I bought ANOTHER Korg Kross 88 last Friday. I drove up to the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and picked it up.

It was kind of rough;

1. It was dirty on the outside
2. Three keys were cracked but still worked.

Everything else still worked fine. I brought an SD card with me and loaded my custom PCG and everything was fine.

I got it home, after a 9.5 hour round trip (I live near Cedar Rapids, Iowa) and reset the machine.

I knew that I was going to have to replace the three keys, as well as give it a good cleaning.

I ordered the new keys (you have to order an octave at a time because the keys on the Kross are in an octave format) from partsitparts.net and I got them in yesterday.

I took the unit apart today and replaced the octave that had the bad keys. The inside of the unit was actually very clean. I marked on the white portion the date of replacement and then wrote it on the metal bar that spans across the keybed along the bottom of the keyboard. I tested it and the keys worked fine.

I noticed a video on YouTube about someone who had to fix a key weight on a Krome 88. It looked to me like the keybeds for the Kross and Krome are the same.

The Kross 88 cleaned up very well and works great. I cannot wait to get it on stage to use live with the rest of my rig.

As for my OTHER Kross 88, it is still out for repair. They say that they are waiting for key contacts. They apparently had to clean the keybed extensively because there was a lot of pet hair in it. I bought it that way and am glad that the company I got it from took ownership of the condition it was in. It has been 2 months now, so the availability of the other Kross 88 I just got was welcome. In addition, I only paid $275 USD for it. That was worth the drive.

Why would I spend so much time on the Kross 1 keyboards? I like them. I know the new model has new features and upgrades, but I like the original and with some work, you can really get great results out of it.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Stargazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story! Do you use any special sound banks?
I had a Jarre bank from Dan Stesco (and a synth one I think), which was a very fresh wind to the Kross and contained some amazing programming. Sold it some time afterwards, due to some personal circumstances, but hunting something these days.
BTW, this is my 100th post on this forum. Cheers! Smile
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stargazer wrote:
Great story! Do you use any special sound banks?
I had a Jarre bank from Dan Stesco (and a synth one I think), which was a very fresh wind to the Kross and contained some amazing programming. Sold it some time afterwards, due to some personal circumstances, but hunting something these days.
BTW, this is my 100th post on this forum. Cheers! Smile

Congrats on your 100th post Smile

I am very happy with the Kross. I do not have any special sound banks, except for the ones that I create Smile I like to program many of my own sounds. The Kross is quite flexible. It may not be a Kronos, for sure, but there is a lot one can do with the Kross. I have modified different piano sounds and created a few of my own. I have also made a number of pad sounds and some leads. I also programmed the DX type patches on it as well. I had done this with the PA700 and they came out great. I am limited to only two oscillators on the Kross, but I can still get a pretty good FM EP out of it; much better than what is stock in the machine.

The key to the Kross, in my opinion, is to actually have TWO of them. There is an option do designate the Kross to play Even or Odd notes. What this means is that if you set one to Even, set the other one to Odd, and MIDI them together (where one controls the other), you basically get a 160-note polyphony machine. This is what I do. It allows me to really load up the Combis with deep layers of sounds and not run out of polyphony as fast.

I cannot wait until the other 88-key comes when it gets fixed. The main problem now is to find out where I am going to put it. At last count, I have 22 keyboards. I bought a Behringer Deepmind-12 last week and spent a lot of time on that since I got it, programming different pad and lead sounds. In fact, I used both the Behringer and one of the Korg Kross keyboards in the recording studio earlier this evening (Tuesday evening, actually) as the band I am was recording a song.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: