Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

61 or 76 key ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Key
61 Key
40%
 40%  [ 13 ]
76 Key
59%
 59%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 32

machie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: 61 or 76 key ? Reply with quote

Which might be the best way to go ? I got enough $$ for the 61 key, but the 76 is making the teeth grind.
while playing can the 76 octaves be made up with a hit of the octave button ?
as more expirenced players using the 61 keys ? do you find its not so bad not having the 76 key or does it become like wish i did get the damn thing

Thanks Mike
martigan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machie,

I currently have a Triton Classic 61 key (see below) it was a great starter keyboard for me, I never played before purchasing my Triton. The 88 keys was a little too intimidating and still is, price wise and size. It worked well for me. Now that I am a little more comfortable with playing the extra keys would be nice. So next week I am going to order a 76 key Extreme.

BTW- Yanni uses 76 key Tritons (last I knew). That also helped with my decision.
Phunky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Machie,

The way I look at it is that, if you can afford the 88 keys, go for it because of the weighted key action, if not, go for the 61 keys instead.

My reasoning is that, 76 keys action are just the same as 61 keys why pay more just that few extra keys. And it looks a bit wierd to me in the sense that those extra 1/4 octave just make the keyboard looks a bit out of proportion and it wouldn't really help when you try to play some good piano piece which requires some low notes. You still need to use the transpose button to do the trick. So what's the point?

And if you plan to gig with your keyboard alot and you have a small car, the 76 keys would most probably will cause some trouble to fit into the car boot. While the 61 keys will just fit nicely just based on my past experience.

Hope I didn't offend any 76 keys keyboard owners Wink If I did, I sincerely apologise for my action.

"Ask yourself always: How can this be done better?"
soulidstate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Phunky. Not because I already have a 61-keys.

I use mine only at home for arranging so there's no urgency for me to play across a 76-keys in any given time. 61 is right for my need though an 88 is one that is nice to have. Very Happy
elfrabo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right choice depends on the way you are going to use your keyboard. If you play the piano a lot you will like those extra keys very much..

My Music
JohnnyAardvark
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 61 or 76 key ? Reply with quote

machie wrote:
while playing can the 76 octaves be made up with a hit of the octave button ?

Yes, you can configure one of the switches to do this, and is configured to do so for some sounds already.

machie wrote:

as more expirenced players using the 61 keys ? do you find its not so bad not having the 76 key or does it become like wish i did get the damn thing

If you really play, the more keys the better. I play piano to a level, including some "Boogie Woogie" / Blues type stuff. Before getting my triton I felt restricted by my 61 Key keyboard. Every once in a while I lacked some bass notes or top end, however, you just work around it (if you play live). Also, 88 weighted keys is something I have been promissing myself for sometime. I find real piano keys (the TE 88's are pretty good) useful for sensitive playing. Major hassle with the 88 is its weight!

If you just record at home and your not an experienced player, 61 is enough. 76 is better if you can afford it.
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course 76 keys!!! Very Happy
TDunbar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you been playing awhile, you'll want to eventually make the switch to 88. Your finger strength will build the more you play, and the hollow keys will soon feel like keys on a toy piano. Every time I play a hollow keyed keyboard I feel like I'm going to break it!
RVNOak
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a TE 61. But we had the TS 88 first. The TE 61 was nothing more than a second key for a mor "portable" application and to help us live.

Our phylosophy is simply, "Money is no object when it comes to a quality musical instrument!!" (except when talking about the OASYS. At this point it's just easier to say, "...if we had the money..."). I would save and get a 76 or even an 88.

88 keys are no joke. This is a huge keyboard and requires some level of patience when moving around - especially if your playing a lot of shows!! You'll want to get really good fast so you can have roadies. Having said that, you can't go wrong with it. 76 keys are probably the best all around. 61 should be a augment to your overall design Smile
popcorn
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76 are my choice!

I used to play piano many years ago, but after 15 years beside the synths I finally found 76 decision of Triton my best keys for now!
Sadly, but the heavy action of the real piano now is not convenient to me, except the Steinway which is more light at touch....

Donny
jojo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not be stupid. I could have afforded the 88-key EASILY, but I chose the 76-key due to weight considerations (I gig with it almost weekly). Yeah, I really like the 88 key, but it's just too big for the places I use it!

For the 61-key people: Why would you WANT fewer keys?? Looking at the 61-key... I feel restricted by it. 76-key is a choice I haven't regretted.

If you're gigging, 76-key gives you the extra keys you want from an 88-key, but isn't so small that you feel restricted when you go for low octaves. It also doesn't have the weight of the 88, so it's really an ideal choice.

Trust me on this one.

Paul Oakenfold also uses a 76-key Extreme, and he is perhaps THE premier "DJ" in the world.

Look carefully! It's a big, bad 76-key!
http://korg.com/sbytes/article.asp?ArtistID=209

As much as I don't like Hilary Duff, you have to admit that Extreme looks awesome in that picture... http://korg.com/sbytes/article.asp?ArtistID=194

Portable, yet not too small. Perfecto.

-jojo

"How do you spell a good instrument? K O R G!"
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer a 76 real hammer action keyboard in a triton!!! It's easier to carry for a pianist! Very Happy
tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we don't get into a full-weighted vs. synth action keys debate again Shocked

Simply put: 88-key piano-weight is perfect for piano stuff but ONLY for piano.

61/76/whatever synth action or semi-weighted is better for drums/trills/speedy playin' in general and still useable for piano.

Try playing speedy drum patterns and super-fast trills and it just won't happen. By the time the keys bounce back, your fingers will have already struck air at least once..

Ok now back on topic:

61-keys vs 76; of course 76!!! The octave-key workaround you mentioned is not always applicable. If you can afford the extra cash go for 76 keys by all means! Smile

Regards,
^tenshi-
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope we don't get into a full-weighted vs. synth action keys debate again Shocked
Simply put: 88-key piano-weight is perfect for piano stuff but ONLY for piano.
61/76/whatever synth action or semi-weighted is better for drums/trills/speedy playin' in general and still useable for piano.
Try playing speedy drum patterns and super-fast trills and it just won't happen. By the time the keys bounce back, your fingers will have already struck air at least once..
Ok now back on topic:
61-keys vs 76; of course 76!!! The octave-key workaround you mentioned is not always applicable. If you can afford the extra cash go for 76 keys by all means! Smile
Regards,
^tenshi-

We won't but I have to disagree - for the most part anyway. Everything you play is as easy to play as much as you practice. So, aside from playing organ sounds which really are better on either synth action keys or semi-weighted keys, there's more or less nothing you can't do with 88-key synth that you can do with 61/76 key. Just look at Jordan Rudess Laughing

Anyway, the song Jordan does as a Liquid Tension Experiment member ("Paradigm Shift", from "Liquid Tension Experiment CD 1"), is a perfect example. All of those repetitions of the same note are playable with one hand on a 88 note keyboard. You can learn to play that in 3 minutes. Of course, it's much easier if you've played a classical piano, no argue there. If you didn't - most of the time - that's a no-go. It really depends.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would prefer a 76 real hammer action keyboard in a triton!!! It's easier to carry for a pianist! Very Happy

Now that's something I've been nagging on for quite awhile now. I would love to see something happen there - with 76 weighted keys in some future Korg products.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: