Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue XD USB noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jiggysaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Minilogue XD USB noise Reply with quote

Hi all,

does anyone know why XD USB causes electrical hum when I connect it to my Mac? My noise floor is around -81dBu when powered off, but when I plug USB, it rises to -60dBu and causes audible humming. It goes immediately away when I disconnect the USB.

I have tried 3 different USB hubs (powered, unpowered), half a dozen of USB cables (with and without single or double ferrite chokes), connecting directly to mac. Result is always the same.

Is my unit faulty or is this a "feature"? I cannot use the XD with USB on at all.
nickle15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if this makes any difference in your situation or not. In the global settings you can select whether the minilogue XD uses USB and MIDI for MIDI, or just USB. I'm wondering if this might be causing any conflicts. Try changing that parameter and see if it changes anything. Again - purely an uneducated stab in the dark here.
jiggysaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickle15 wrote:
Well, I don't know if this makes any difference in your situation or not. In the global settings you can select whether the minilogue XD uses USB and MIDI for MIDI, or just USB. I'm wondering if this might be causing any conflicts. Try changing that parameter and see if it changes anything. Again - purely an uneducated stab in the dark here.

I tried that too without any luck.

I think this USB noise is a "feature" and I got a USB Isolator (https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Eliminator-Industrial-Protection-USB-St%C3%B6rungsfilter/dp/B07GF6VMMK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Usb+Isolator&qid=1596270305&sr=8-4).

This successfully eliminated the hum. I put it between my USB hub and XD. It also works if I put it between my mac and USB hub but it then limits the speed of the data transmission of other devices (eg. my Push 2 won't work anymore).
nickle15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiggysaw wrote:
nickle15 wrote:

I tried that too without any luck.

I think this USB noise is a "feature" and I got a USB Isolator (https://www.amazon.de/Nobsound-Eliminator-Industrial-Protection-USB-St%C3%B6rungsfilter/dp/B07GF6VMMK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Usb+Isolator&qid=1596270305&sr=8-4).

This successfully eliminated the hum. I put it between my USB hub and XD. It also works if I put it between my mac and USB hub but it then limits the speed of the data transmission of other devices (eg. my Push 2 won't work anymore).

Interesting. Glad you found something that helped. I've had my XD for about two months and have enjoyed learning my way around as it's my first analogue synth. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: