Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seems analogue hype is over
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth, I have to agree with what you said regarding the CS-80. I have never played one, but I've played the mono CS's and there is a quality to them that is unsurpassed by the other synths of the time. And no clone will be able to match the feeling of playing those old originals.

The story behind "Africa" is interesting. If it wasn't for the CS-80, that song wouldn't have existed. It is a wonderful show case of the synth's sound. And the lyrics are bloody hilarious!
That period of the 80's had many new synths coming out and they did inspire many artists to compose music that was ground breaking. Thus the cultural importance of those instruments. I was in the instrument store the other day while a customer gushed about his DX7. Now that is a really a preset machine, but it's very easy to pull up a preset that sounds the way you feel, and it is that which at the time changed the sound of popular music so much, it too is remembered as an amazing machine worth a zillion dollars today.

I should acknowledge the commercial studio owners that have classic instruments for use also. But for the average musician and enthusiast/hobbyist the remakes are a godsend. The cost of acquiring an original plus the refurbishing is more than any of us can afford, especially when companies are pumping reissues at good prices.

Just quickly, I have to say I've never understood the wonder of the Juno's. I came close to buying a 106 with a programmer, but after playing it a bit I decided I didn't like the sound. I thought that my Tetra sounded warmer and had more flexibility, but I guess it's a case of personal taste.
EDIT: I spoke to my mate who came with me told me it was actually JX-8P not a Juno 106 and admonished my for even comparing the two, sorry about that.

But all this is a digression from the topic, so back to there!
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
skinmechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the CS80 a while back found it to be underwhelming i think it’s reputation is bigger than its sound. The Prophet Rev2 16 voice polyphony has excellent routing options prefer it to the prologue which i found to be thin in sound. It’s funny really because the Minilogue XD sound is much more warmer . Also don’t forget the PolyEvolver a beast at the time the only thing i don’t get in this day and age is all these analogue synths coming out that don’t store patch memory, i can see the instant fun but pretty rubbish at having to take photos of a synth on its settings if you ever need to recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: