Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Grandstage user. Help please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pianos (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddworld17870

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: New Grandstage user. Help please? Reply with quote

Hi, guys. I've been playing the Roland RD series for over 20, but had to move on after the cheap build of the newest model.
I bought a Grandstage 88. It sounds gorgeous at home, but when I play it at a gig, it's awful. The left hand sounds clunky and loud, and the higher notes don't cut through them. I've tried the grandstage piano variation, as well as the Italian and German piano models.
I played with the touch sensitivity settings too. Nothing does it. I'd like it to be bright and articulate, but still realistic. I realize this isn't a Roland, but for the price, I should be able to edit the sounds to make them sound great live, shouldn't I? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Grandstage being played though a stereo PA when gigging? It ought to be. Combining left and right outputs into mono loses a lot of the character of the sound.

oddworld17870

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just using the left/mono into a single channel. My Roland sounds amazing that way, so I figured the Korg should too. I'll try that.
Thanks!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summing to Mono on keyboards can sometimes be an issue. While using the L/Mono putout is normally fine, sometimes it can sound a bit more 'bassy' than when used in stereo. These are stereo samples and effects that are in use.

In other publications in the past, this has been addressed. Some people have suggested using the Right output for mono playing instead of the Left output. Using the right output may take the lower frequencies out a bit more and give more clarity to the higher end.

It really is hard to beat Roland's V-Piano engine, to be honest. The amount of customization is fantastic in their engine. Korg has done a very nice job too, but just about everything these days has really been meant to be used in stereo, at least when regarding keyboards). The separation and depth will not be there when playing in mono. For me, Mono is a 4-letter word and something I stay away from every chance I get... Smile

The best thing is to try to get a stereo connection and then pan each channel (unless it is a stereo channel) panned hard left/right for the best sound possible.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
oddworld17870

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. I will definitely try it. Not tonight, though. This is a gig that's paying me twice what I usually get, so the Roland is coming!
Thank you so much, his l guys! I will follow up after I try stereo to let you know how it goes!
Docflick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly owned a Grandstage (returned it due to faulty key; loved the sound of it, though). If I recall correctly, all of the pianos also have a mono version as a preset. If you are using a L/mono out, I would recommend using one of those. Still, as others have said, stereo PA is the way to go with such brilliantly sampled pianos as on the GS.
Current: Kronos 61 Titanium, Yamaha Montage 6, Roland Fantom, Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro, MPC Live II; Previous: Kronos 73 SE and 2 88, Yamaha Motif 6, XF, EX5, SY77, DX7 (x2), CP33, Roland JP-50, Alesis QS8
oddworld17870

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, hooked it up in stereo last night. You guys were so right!
My Grandstage now sounds almost as great as the Roland. Thank you all so much!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddworld17870 wrote:
Guys, hooked it up in stereo last night. You guys were so right!
My Grandstage now sounds almost as great as the Roland. Thank you all so much!

I am glad that the Stereo connection has opened up the sound on the GrandStage. It is a great to hear the depth of the sounds in stereo. I rarely run mono in anything, because even the EFX in my keyboards are in stereo. There is so much depth to a stereo sound (when they are done right). The stereo field is wide enough that everything can fit within it Smile

It really is hard to beat the Roland V-Piano engine. I have the VG- guitar modeler (original version) and I still love the depth I can get out of it, even after all of these years. I was very excited about the V-Piano when it came out but the price of admission was very high and I never bought one. I am glad that they put the V-engine in the latest RD piano. It really brings the whole thing up a notch.

With that said, Korg has done a great job in making some GREAT piano samples and having different piano samples from different pianos available. Even in my Korg PA700, I use a Yamaha C5 piano sample pack that is free and available in these forums.

Have fun with the GS in stereo Smile It really is the way to go Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
oddworld17870

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play an RD800. I had an Rd2000 but I sent it back. Twice. You're right, it sounds incredible, but...I have to wheel my piano into some of my venues on a hand cart. Just standing that model up for a minute was all it took to throw 2 of the keys out of whack, and they bent and stuck down. They replaced it, and I was more careful this time. I only stood it up for a second to get it on the cart, then laid it down to wheel it. Same thing happened. If they fix that issue, I'll go back to Roland, but only if they fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pianos (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: