Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally got the wavestate - with some demo videos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Finally got the wavestate - with some demo videos Reply with quote

After a long wait of six months the wavestate was finally available in my country. the past three weeks i've been programming my own sounds to learn the features of the wave state.

I've learned a lot and here are the video's with the results of the first 5 days.

hans1966

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Demo Qui R. I love those soft atmospheric textures. Congratulations on your new keyboard !!

I choose the Peace of God!
pranaearth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted on one of your videos, I can't wait till you start releasing patches for the Wavestate
PA600

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sounds but after using a touchscreen for years I can not invest into a caricature screen like that one. If Casio can make a 5 octave keyboard with a bigger screen for under $200 then that caricature design is supposed to cost way less. You guys got scammed by Korg again. I need the Wavestate VSTi plugin version of it.

Last edited by PA600 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a demo of one of performances i programmed on day 6. It's called Ancient Temple and is a Rythmic Performance sound.

What i did was using four of my own programs and then combine then in one performance, in that performance i modified a lot to make the combination sound the way i want. For instance, the Kick at the start of the rythm isn't in the program sound. I added that specifically for this performance.

Another trick was the delayed Filter mods on the pad sounds, or for instance the sample change in layer 4 based on the mod wheel position. It's all shown in this video and the best part is that the original programs are still the same. All the edits were done in this performance.

It's a very powerful way of working if you create your own sounds, just create lots of programs and then combine them in performances and modify them in the performance based on the performance sound you have in mind.

PA600

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sounds but the front panel is not my style at all. I'm still confused about a few things in the front panel design. Are all those front panel knobs able to control all 4 layers simultaneously or is it strictly the active layer only or one layer at a time ?

What if I need a macro knob or a super knob (a.k.a. Yamaha MODX6) that can control many different things, at different rates, across different layers, in different directions or by different amounts ? Can any of those knobs be configured to behave like that ?
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA600 wrote:
Are all those front panel knobs able to control all 4 layers simultaneously or is it strictly the active layer only or one layer at a time ?

It's both - depending if lit performance mod knobs button.

Unlit, the 8 knobs are for active layer only.

And there are modulation sources between these, if you want Performance mod knob to control a certain layers mod knob.
PA600

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty good. Do I have to connect it to a computer in order to record knob automation ? Or it can be recorded in the synth ? Basically, where is it storing the automation for all the knobs ? Does it have a built in sequencer or automation recorder ?
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanes are the sequences and the approach is like math to alternate values.
There are fade in/out things in timing lane, based on time or tempo etc.

Joystick vector are envelopes that evolve over time as well. Probably closest to what you ask for, but more like programmed positions of joystick than recorded, and time until next position. Vector can control volume or not, and then be source for other modulations. And having set envelopes you can adjust with joystick to shift values around a bit.

Lanes can be free running, or be synced to each note-on and similar.
Lanes can be looping or one-shot.
Master lane also can have a parental control if all sequences are resynced.

So the thinking of a recording in a daw is not there AFAIK. More like a live multiperformance instrument with a lot of realtime control.

But think a midi sequencer could be helpful to do realtime recordings that you later transfer transitions into vectors. But my experiments with vectors seemed flimsy and hard to know when working as joystick and when vector envelopes are running - not so well explained in manual IMO.
PA600

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second. Are you saying that even if I connect it to a computer that is running Reason 10, is not going to be possible to record the knobs in automation tracks ? Is it not sending out any midi signals that can be recorded, edited and then replayed ? Let's say, I want to record only filter automation tracks and edit those in Reason 10. Is that going to work or not ?
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not what I am saying, you can assign things to midi CC and record. I was talking strictly what is built in or not.
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out manual
https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/840/

Midi specs says this as midi cc goes
2-6, 8-9, 12-31, 32-63, 65, 67-95, 102-119

Sent and received by Mod Knobs, Filter Cutoff A-D, and Scale Select when assigned in UTILITY > MIDI CC Assign; also received as programmable modulation sources

Since modulations are extensive, you can control anything through the mod knobs too. Filter cutoff directly it seems, and then indirectly through mod knobs what they are assigned to control.
PA600

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some midi controllers come assigned out of the box but others will have to be reconfigured. Anyway, I'm just too used to a touch screen. I can not deal with a small screen anymore despite the nice sounds. I wish they had a way bigger touch screen by now but it looks like the power consumption for those is way too high. I'm trying at the moment to reconstruct it or prototype it in software, as a vsti plugin, but I don't know the details of the block diagram and my first version of it is super basic. Only 2 arps that trigger 6 samplers and another arp that creates auto-panning. I will need more details about it and how it works just to figure out which parts are worth replicating and which functions are not worth the headache.

Have you found anything wrong with it yet ? As far as design and functionality. Which parts do you feel need to be changed, improved, updated or redesigned and why ?

PS: Thanks for mentioning the user manual because I didn't realize they made it available for download. The manual probably has more info about how it works but I don't think I want to replicate all those functions in software because it would take me forever. I already have the wave sequencing working. Now I just need to make the random generator and that's about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: