Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and Albion One

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Kronos and Albion One Reply with quote

I have my Kronos hooked up to a Focusrite 6i6 2nd Gen with two TRS cables and the interface is connected via a standard USB 2.0 cable into my PC. I know I can assign MIDI CC#'s to the various bits on the Kronos' control panel, which I've been trying to do with my sound library, Spitfire's Albion One, but for some reason, Albion won't recognize the Kronos. I enable Learn MIDI control in Albion and move the sliders on the Kronos, but Albion doesn't acknowledge the Kronos. It won't even let me use the instruments in Albion with the Kronos. I play something, and I hear only the Kronos. Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm completely new to the Kronos and all the tech, so for anyone who can help, please keep that in mind with your answers. Very Happy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is Albion One ?

Albion ONE is a sample library built to work with Native Instrument's Kontakt Player. It's also NKS-ready - pre-mapped and ready to play, with light guides for visual key switches, splits and mapping feedback, and hardware library browsing.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use Ext button? (Ext) in the Control Assign section? You can also create CC MIDI messages in Global Mode. Uninstall and install again the drivers just in case.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Daniel….Welcome to the forum.

Without actually knowing what has already been done, the following can only be basic advice.

It seems as if the midi link is missing, possibly the driver hasn’t been installed or a malfunction somewhere.
This could be either with the pc or the initial settings within the audio interface.

I suggest reading the audio interface manual again and follow the set up routine, using its own built in software etc, incase something was overlooked.

It could even be related to actual midi device count in windows….there is a max limit.
There is a workaround for this and plenty of information can be found via a google search etc.

Assuming that Kontakt Player has been installed….check its settings as well.

Let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check different USB cables.
Daniel M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I don't have the manual for the interface. I bought it used, so it didn't come with the interface. If it helps any, everything works. I can play something on the Kronos and hear it in my headphones, and Cubase records what I play with no issues on playback. I downloaded the driver for the interface off the Focusrite website and so far, so good.

After doing some looking in Albion, I found that the software does recognize the interface as a MIDI device, but doesn't recognize the Kronos. I have no idea why.

[quote="pedro5"]Hello Daniel….Welcome to the forum.

Without actually knowing what has already been done, the following can only be basic advice.

It seems as if the midi link is missing, possibly the driver hasn’t been installed or a malfunction somewhere.
This could be either with the pc or the initial settings within the audio interface.

I suggest reading the audio interface manual again and follow the set up routine, using its own built in software etc, incase something was overlooked.

It could even be related to actual midi device count in windows….there is a max limit.
There is a workaround for this and plenty of information can be found via a google search etc.

Assuming that Kontakt Player has been installed….check its settings as well.

Best Wishes.[/quote]
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your post one can assume that you want to get MIDI from Kronos to drive something on your PC.
But it is not clear whether or how you have connected your Kronos MIDI (Din or USB) to your PC.
Please describe how MIDI should get from Kronos to PC for your setup.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual for the audio interface can be downloaded from the internet.

The driver I mentioned is for the Kronos.... a download from Korg.

Also,as you're using cubase,there are more settings to be done there as well.

Albion can either be played as a stand alone instrument(Kontakt Player) or via a daw(cubase or other etc).

Another test you could try is to connect the Kronos directly via usb into the pc,bypassing the audio interface.
This may help prove the midi connection.
Once this is established,(ie Kronos /midi/pc/daw is working) re connect the audio interface where further settings can then be made.

It may seem complicated,but following each step in turn will provide a positive result.
You will get there !!

Providing more infromation on your set up would also help a better understanding for us to offer further advice.

Best Wishes.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some additional notes that may help.

In cubase go to Studio Set Up.
Then into MIDI Port Set Up.
This will provide a list of all active midi devices.

OR

Create a midi track and check the inspector part.
This will also provide a list of all midi devices.

If the Kronos is not listed….it will confirm that the midi link is missing.

The only remedy I know of for a pc, is to install the Korg midi driver.
As a point of interest to others…..Mac users do not need this driver, unless the editor is being used.

Best Wishes.
Daniel M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would I go about getting Albion to work with the Kronos as both a standalone instrument and through the DAW? Like I said in the og post, Albion doesn't recognize the Kronos in any way, shape, or form, but getting it to work through Cubase could be useful.

[quote="pedro5"]The manual for the audio interface can be downloaded from the internet.

The driver I mentioned is for the Kronos.... a download from Korg.

Also,as you're using cubase,there are more settings to be done there as well.

Albion can either be played as a stand alone instrument(Kontakt Player) or via a daw(cubase or other etc).

Another test you could try is to connect the Kronos directly via usb into the pc,bypassing the audio interface.
This may help prove the midi connection.
Once this is established,(ie Kronos /midi/pc/daw is working) re connect the audio interface where further settings can then be made.

It may seem complicated,but following each step in turn will provide a positive result.
You will get there !!

Providing more infromation on your set up would also help a better understanding for us to offer further advice.

Best Wishes.[/quote]
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel M wrote:
So how would I go about getting Albion to work with the Kronos as both a standalone instrument and through the DAW? Like I said in the og post, Albion doesn't recognize the Kronos in any way, shape, or form, but getting it to work through Cubase could be useful.

Way 1)
1.1 - Connect Kronos Audio to Focusrite Audio input (as you already did basen on your first post)
1.2 - Connect some audio system/amp to Focusrite Main out in order to hear anything that comes out from your computer
1.3. - Connect Focusrite USB to ypur PC USB and install Focusrite ASIO driver (as probably done if you have used Focusrite)
1.4. - Connect Kronos DIN Midi Out to Focusrite Midi In. If you want to drive your Kronos with PC connect also Focusrite Midi Out to Kronos Midi In.
Now you should have all necessary signals in your PC. Kronos Midi appears as Focusrite Midi. Route your Midi and Audio as connected.
In standalone Albion One (in Kontakt) choose proper audio and Midi channels. In DAW (Cubase) insert Kontakt/Albion as VST plugin into Midi track, route Focusrite Midi to Track input and route track audio out to Main Out.

Way 2)
2.1. - Download Kronos Midi Drivers from korg.com and install
2.2. - Follw 1.1 through 1.3 in Way 1)
2.3. - Connect Kronos with USB cable to PC for Midi
Now you should have all necessary signals in your PC. Kronos Midi appears as Kronos midi device. Route your Midi and Audio as connected.
In standalone Albion One (in Kontakt) choose proper audio and Midi channels. In DAW (Cubase) insert Kontakt/Albion as VST plugin into Midi track, route Kronos Midi to Track input and route track audio out to Main Out.
mrfudge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Albion one and other VSTs with Cubase all the time, just with a USB cable to the computer, here's a useful link

https://soundsofplanet.manifo.com/cubase
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing what you have actually tried out,I still think the major problem relates to missing drivers and a few subsequent settings.
However, alland and mrfudge have Kindly provided detailed guides for these, you should now be able to sort things out.

Best Wishes
Daniel M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! Just wanted to give you a quick update and tell you that I finally got Albion to work with the Kronos, which I am absolutely ecstatic about!! It turns out, I was looking under External 1 and 2 for setting MIDI CC# information, but that didn't work at all. The mod wheel/joystick thing (not sure what to call it or what it's actual name is) was being recognized as a MIDI controller, though. So, after some looking around, I found the Controllers/Scales tab, went to Controllers, and turned on MIDI CC# information under the KARMA Controllers for the sliders, which worked immediately. Albion still doesn't seem to want to display the keyboard itself when Kontakt is open, I really don't know why. But, the important thing is, it's working! And now, I'm trying to get Cubase to work with it. Thank you all for your help!

[quote="pedro5"]Without knowing what you have actually tried out,I still think the major problem relates to missing drivers and a few subsequent settings.
However, alland and mrfudge have Kindly provided detailed guides for these, you should now be able to sort things out.

Best Wishes[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: