Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

record styles in to a DAW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpires

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: record styles in to a DAW Reply with quote

Hello
Not sure if this topic is here but here it is:
Is it possible to record styles in a DAW "Cakewalk by band lab" to be exactly ?
i mean playing styles from Pa4x and recorded to a computer.
If So, what settings i have to do?
Thanks in advance.
JP
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe

Assume you relating to audio DAW track recording?
If so, I record directly into Logic Pro - PA4X L&R to one track and PA4X 1&2 to another.

Is this what you are wanting to do?

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I’d assume that, Pete. A lot of people might want to edit the recording, correct or adjust it, in which case recording the arranger’s MIDI would be the first step, then recording the corrected audio either as individual tracks to further manipulate, or the whole mix...

So, jpires, what do you want to do to the music once it’s in the DAW?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent PM Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
jpires

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: record styles in to a DAW Reply with quote

Well. i am talking about recording midi.
you know in Pa4x you can record style to a sequencer inside Pa4x.
I was wondering id you can do the same into a DAW for editing.
thanks
JP
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to. It's been a very long time since I've recorded a style. I think you need to go to Global, and then under MIDI-OUT set your 9-16 tracks to Style 9-16. If I remember correctly, the default setting is set to Sequencer tracks.

Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most DAW’s offer a record to an ALL track (multichannel to one track) which can be split later on into individual channels. That’s possibly the best way to make sure you get them all, including multipads.

But... as I so often point out, I think you get a far more accurate to the tick ‘capture’ if you use the Korg’s built-in Recorder to record everything, and then transfer the saved SMF to your DAW afterwards. You can then overdub etc. to your heart’s content, but that initial style capture is best done internally, IMHO.
Bill1983

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: record styles in to a DAW Reply with quote

jpires wrote:
Hello
Thanks in advance.
JP

Hello,

There was a little confusion s few months ago about this topic but it's quite easy to do.

1. Select a style and go into record mode.
2. Press the Menu button and you should see an import/export option on the display.
3. Prior to hitting export, depress the shift key. It does not matter which variation you have called up. SHIFT/ENTER will export the entire Style. All variations, breaks, etc. It can then be opened in Sonar "aka Cakewalk" Complete with markers, sysex data, velocity, etc, etc.

From there it can be edited in it's entirety.

You will have to import the style as a normal SMF File back into the PA. With the markers in place, the import function will know whjat to do with the file.

Hope this helps,
Bill
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: record styles in to a DAW Reply with quote

Bill1983 wrote:

Hello,

There was a little confusion s few months ago about this topic but it's quite easy to do.

1. Select a style and go into record mode.
2. Press the Menu button and you should see an import/export option on the display.
3. Prior to hitting export, depress the shift key. It does not matter which variation you have called up. SHIFT/ENTER will export the entire Style. All variations, breaks, etc. It can then be opened in Sonar "aka Cakewalk" Complete with markers, sysex data, velocity, etc, etc.

From there it can be edited in it's entirety.

You will have to import the style as a normal SMF File back into the PA. With the markers in place, the import function will know whjat to do with the file.

Hope this helps,
Bill

I'd say the topic still remains to be a confusing one. This procedure is for 'importing the midi (style) as a whole into a DAW using markers'....not to be confused with recording styles into a DAW as a midi file in real time? JP never actually provided that last piece of info. Confused

Also are you sure Sonar midi export function meets all the requirements for this purpose?

siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Record styles in to a DAW Reply with quote

jpires wrote:
...Is it possible to record styles in a DAW "Cakewalk by band lab" to be exactly ?
... ............. Well. i am talking about recording midi.
you know in Pa4x you can record style to a sequencer inside Pa4x.
I was wondering id you can do the same into a DAW for editing..

NO, YOU CAN NOT do the same editing a Pa4x style with a DAW as you can do with Pa-arranger.

Pa-arrangers are recording/featering its styles with its built-in style-recorder and using its special parameters as described in manual.
DAW has not same built-in style-recording-software using same parameters like Pa-arrangers.

What you can do with a DAW using styles of Pa4x is to CREATE SMFs (MIDI-Song) with styles output of Pa4x or you can use EXPORT function of Pa4x, that will generate a MIDI-file with style-events that can be edited/changed/fitted/saved with DAW-Software and than could be IMPORTED again with Pa4x to be used as Pa4x-style.

Importing a Standard MIDI File to a Style is described in manual of Pa4x (page 309-311) - Exporting a Style to a Standard MIDI File ‘separated by markers’ is described in same manual (page 314).
jpires wrote:
...i mean playing styles from Pa4x and recorded to a computer.
If So, what settings i have to do? ..

If you do not export a Pa4x-style as MIDI-file but want to record styleplayers Midi-Events with DAW, styleplayer in styleplay mode will send Midi-Messages per style-tracks Drum, Percussion, Baß, Acc1-Acc5.

In styleplay track controls of that tracks are to set to BOTH or EXTERNAL, because setting to INTERNAL will not route Midi-Messages to Midi-Out of Pa4x. What channels you want to use for that style tracks you can select with Midi-Out-parameters of Pa4x - with these channels you will get that messages into DAW to be recorded and whatelse you want to do with them.
I also don't know any DAW recording software is on the market with parameters and functions around styles that work for the Pa arrangers, but it really is easy to edit them with exporting/importing in SMF0-format.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can write in daw multitrack if you want,just need some adjustments.
The only problem is sync,as many daws can't follow midi clock,you will have to use pre-rec and play as close to tempo as possible,then you can move it around a bit and do your quantize if needed.
Unless you use any other hardware for sync midi.

For multitrack settings,you have to use input transformer in cubase or nuendo,plus some other settings you have to adjust on pa4x's global settings pages

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Bescki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: record styles in to a DAW Reply with quote

2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!

Last edited by Bescki on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bescki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: record styles in to a DAW Reply with quote

jpires wrote:
Hello
Thanks in advance.
JP

Yes, you can create midi files. You need to be careful about tracks. The best way to use instruments correctly, prepare 8 channels of your style and create midi file by recordin 3 seconds on your keyboars. Then, if you played something, delete notes only, and start creating a midi files with instruments. After creating a midi files, for example INTRO1.mid creste a style and import intro1.mid to intro 1 all channels. Then create intro2.mid, var 1.mid var2.mid... etc.

You can also use markers by naming intro 1.. etc.

There is also automatic style creator (the best result for automatic style is when you use markers)

Cheers.
2004 = Korg Pa1x
2000 = Roland Va-7
1998 = Roland E-86
1996 = Yamaha ?!
jpires

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your great expertise and advice, i will give a try
and i will post the results.
Thanks again
JPires
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think there's some confusing advice on this thread. We seem to be offering advice on how to do two completely different tasks...

One would be how to play a SONG on the arranger, and record that using MIDI. Then use the DAW to edit it and polish the song.

The other would be how to transfer a STYLE into a DAW for editing, and then transfer back to the arranger for use there. Or how to create a STYLE inside the DAW and then transfer to the arranger.

Jpires, would you please let us know exactly what you are trying to do..?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: