Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca and Arturia Keystep- Frustrated and help dearly needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoffeeVolca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Volca and Arturia Keystep- Frustrated and help dearly needed Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm desperate for somebody to help me understand how to get my Keystep and Volca's to play nice.

I'll try to be as concise as I can, however I am a complete novice with all of this, so please be considerate Smile

I've set the Keystep to the Korg '1 pulse' setting in the MIDI Control Centre-
MIDI short message is set on the Volcas
Switches on the Keystep are set to 'internal' for clock.
The Keystep and Volcas are on same MIDI channel-1.

Now here are my issues I'm experiencing:

It will play notes through the Keystep, no worries there- although you cannot change the octave range via the Volca- it does adjust through the Keystep no problem.

The keyboard play function never works (shift+Oct+ button) so can't play over a sequence. The Mod ribbon also produces no effect.

Arpeggiator mode on the Keystep doesn't result in any change.

However, this isn't the main issue. When I press record to create a sequence, I will press play and the sound that is produced (tempo, rhythm etc) does not match what I played.

This is compounded further, when I stop the sequence and try to play a note again, the sound produced (same on Keys and Bass) is best described as extremely short in duration and the sound produced is muted.

This remains regardless of what I try to do such as record a new sequence, until I turn the Volca off and on again.

I'd really appreciate anyone's help with this; I've seen so many people rave about the Keystep and the Volcas, and used flawlessly in producing sequences- so I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong Smile. Confused
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CoffeeVolca and Welcome!

I think there may still be a bug with keyboard play on the KeyStep but I don't remember exactly.

Regarding using the Sync In socket. There are actually two standards for clock sync on the Volcas; 1pulse-per-step and 2pulses-per-step. I've not clocked my Volcas using my KeyStep for awhile and can't remember which configuration I used, but I have done it.
Go into the global menu on your Volca as you would for enabling MIDI Short Messages and check the LED status of step 8. That is the clock sync setting. On is 1pulse-per-step and off is 2pulses (default). Have a play with that and the two settings for the KeyStep and you should find the winning combo. Make sure that you whatever setting you end up on for your Volca you are running the KeyStep to is also what you set your second Volca to.

I'm not sure of any of the other issues, I only run the percussion Volcas so I only really know about synchronising them.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
CoffeeVolca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for replying megamarkd! Very Happy

I'll give these a try this week and see what happens. Ahh, didn't know about the bug with the mode, so will do some reading.

Expect a reply with my findings.
CoffeeVolca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Experiments have yielded some results! Reply with quote

I've managed to get some success with the arpeggiator now working whilst the Keys is in play mode, and discovered that if the sound cuts after stopping a sequence it can be sorted by adjusting the sustain switch on the Volca to re-engage.

Still no Keyboard play functionality and no ability to sequence create from the Keystep record function, only from the Volca record.

However, it's steps in the right direction Smile Thanks for the initial help again megamarkd, I'm a little less frustrated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: