Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abrupt note cut off in Acoustic Piano Programs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranman86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Abrupt note cut off in Acoustic Piano Programs. Reply with quote

Hey all, apologies for the length here. I have a Kronos X61 that is cutting off held notes abruptly in the German and Japanese piano programs. There is nothing plugged into the keyboard other than headphones and the AC cord. It is random, any note, any velocity. Logic is not seeing note off messages via midi track recording either. It has progressed from an occasional single note every 5-10 min to multiple notes upon power up. A restore of factory .PCG (p. 277 KRONOS_Op_Guise_E6) has been done without success.

This behavior only happens in the acoustic piano programs using the stock Kronos internal programs and waveforms. Throughout the rest of the engines, programs, and user samples (some over 10 seconds long) the boards functionality is perfectly normal.

A bit of history, the board was purchased used and have been gigging steadily thru the better part of 2019. Towards the end of that year it had started to hang on power up, with the progress of the red line boot loader generally freezing at the S of Music Workstation. Removing the bottom cover revealed 2 screws missing/other 2 screws loose that attach the MB to frame, allowing it to freely flop around. I replaced the MB with the same D525MW and cloned the HD to a SanDisk 256GB drive.

That worked fine for 6 mo and now the Kronos is funky again. Have cleaned and reseated RAM and replaced the HD to MB SATA cable. Next up is replacing RAM and/or factory restore from DVD. Perhaps there is corruption in the SGX-1 engine and/or associated waveforms. Current lineup of optical DVD drives have not booted the Kronos so the hunt continues. Will be looking into a LiteOn EBAU108 I suppose.

Attached is a video showing the note cut off behavior. If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ty1yf8inubq989/Kronos%20X61%20notes%20cut%20off_A%20Piano.mov?dl=0

edited - louder audio example
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you say : "a restore of the factory .PCG"

You must load also the KSC and KGE files and folder also.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
ranman86

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

Hello and thanks for reply.

You are correct indeed, both KSC and KGE files were loaded as detailed in Step 7 and beyond on p. 277 of Op_Guide_E6, although nothing is mentioned about associated folders in that guide.

Edit - actually I'll have a go at your suggestion regarding "check auto-load box next to PRELOAD.KSC, thank you.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have other piano libraries (like the Berlin piano), start a SGX-2 program and edit the piano type to a Berlin piano variation instead of German/Japanese. If everything gets fine, you have corrupted EXS6/EXS7 data. This would be easy to fix.

Last edited by KK on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ranman86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ranman86 wrote:
kronoSphere wrote:

Hello and thanks for reply.

You are correct indeed, both KSC and KGE files were loaded as detailed in Step 7 and beyond on p. 277 of Op_Guide_E6, although nothing is mentioned about associated folders in that guide.

Edit - actually I'll have a go at your suggestion regarding "check auto-load box next to PRELOAD.KSC, thank you.

@KronoSphere this worked thanks, I'd buy you a beer for sure. Your suggestion of loading KSC and KGE in addition to the factory .PCG returned the German and Japanese piano programs to normal functionality. Strangley this took several attempts as they would play perfectly for 3 min before starting to cut off again. A power cycle after loading these files did the trick.

When I go back to load my User KSC file, the pianos cut off again. Seems something is corrupt in the file. I have a lot of User Programs, Combi's, Samples, and Set Lists in this KSC file and I'd like to avoid rebuilding from scratch.

Is there a way to extract this data and add to the "good" Factory load without introducing the corruption from my User KSC file?

Edit - Loading my User KSC and replacing Program Bank 1-A from factory .PCG has got me sorted for the most part. I loose a handful of altered programs from that bank, but grateful considering what I initially thought my alternatives were.

Interesting how this bank of programs become corrupted, but then again I have noticed weird little changes in Combi's over time - a key split that is slightly different than how it was initially programed.

Would love to figure out how this is happening to a User KSC saved to Internal HD and Auto Loaded at startup. Thanks again for responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: