Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Kronos to play sounds from Yamaha keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrvegas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Use Kronos to play sounds from Yamaha keyboard Reply with quote

I want to use my Kronos 88 keys to alternate between playing it's own programs and combis and playing sounds from a Yamaha keyboard.

I'm sure it can be done but don't know the exact way to make it happen. First issue is whether I need a din-plug MIDI cable or if a USB cable will suffice. Where my eyes tend to gloss over is concerning what settings (if any) I need to tweak on the Kronos to enable it to work. Do I have to go in and tell the Kronos that MIDI is routed to a specific channel?

If I want to start a set with a Kronos Strings program and then switch over to playing a Yamaha piano patch, how does that work?

If anybody can share step-by-step guidance on how this would work I would be VERY grateful.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several ways to achieve this. I'm sure others will chip in with suggestions.

A tiered stand could be used, with one keyboard stacked over the other. Playing such an arrangement should prove to be natural and intuitive, and a two tiered rig looks more impressive on stage than a single keyboard.

Alternatively, connect the Kronos MIDI Out to the Yamaha MIDI In using a cable with DIN plugs.

Both the Kronos and Yamaha will produce sound if the Kronos is played whilst set to transmit on MIDI channel 1 and the Yamaha is set to receive on MIDI channel 1, which should be the default for both keyboards. Route the Line Outs on each keyboard to its own volume/expression pedal and use them, Vangelis style, to vary the volume of each. The Kronos XVP-20 pedals can act as a stereo volume control. The outputs of the expression/volume pedals should be sent to an audio mixer.

Alternatively, connect Kronos and Yamaha Line Outs to a mixer, set the Yamaha to receive on MIDI channel 2. Open the Kronos Global MIDI menu. With the Kronos MIDI channel set to channel 1, playing the Kronos keyboard will result in sounds from the Kronos. Changing the MIDI channel to channel 2 will play both the Kronos and Yamaha sounds. Unchecking the "Local Control On" checkbox will stop the Kronos from sounding, whilst the Yamaha will continue to play. This is not ideal, however, because changing the MIDI channel on the Kronos sends an All Notes Off MIDI message, so the notes being played will stop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: