Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MASSIVE Display? Really? Oh dear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: MASSIVE Display? Really? Oh dear Reply with quote

I had high hopes for the Nautilus.
Seems so far just to be a Kronos in a different packaging.

I suppose the most disappointing thing from their homepage:
( https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/nautilus/#7 )

"...enormous eight-inch (800 x 480 pixel) WVGA color TouchView display"

Really?
In 2020? 8" is an "enormous" display? And at low resolution of 800x480?

Seriously, at first I thought this was some clever marketing writing only to reveal a kind of "just kidding - its really 10" " or something similar.

How on earth they made a new synth (61 and 73 case looks cool, 88 looks bland) and then slap on a mediocre 8" display?

Should've been at least 10-13" in order to take advantage of all the features.

Now everything is just cluttered up into a display you cant see with the naked eye.

Amazes me why Korg continue to be so stubborn about this? Any ideas?
highlandstudio91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had high hopes for a budget version of Kronos,to be better than the Kronos?? More like delusional hopes.
For years,I've wanted a budget-priced spinoff of a Kronos(didn't think it would ever happen)...but Korg delivered...if you ask me,I think this is absolutely extraordinary!
Yes...the Nautilus IS a Kronos in different packaging and that sir,is the whole point!
Actually...the Nautilus is a 7" display and if you cannot see it clearly,go to a dollar store and buy a pair of reading glasses,problem solved.

If you like 10" display screens so much,then you should have bought an Oasys for $8,500 when you had the chance.

Thus far,I have not read a single valid complaint from you,regarding the Nautilus.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland Fantom - 7" WVGA, TFT (800 x 480) Display
Yamaha Montage - 7" VGA, TFT (640 x 480) Display

Nautilus 7" WVGA, TFT (800 x 480) Display

OK, so same as the flagship Roland and better than the flagship Yamaha.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: MASSIVE Display? Really? Oh dear Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
I had high hopes for the Nautilus.
Seems so far just to be a Kronos in a different packaging.

I suppose the most disappointing thing from their homepage:
( https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/nautilus/#7 )

"...enormous eight-inch (800 x 480 pixel) WVGA color TouchView display"

Really?
In 2020? 8" is an "enormous" display? And at low resolution of 800x480?

Seriously, at first I thought this was some clever marketing writing only to reveal a kind of "just kidding - its really 10" " or something similar.

How on earth they made a new synth (61 and 73 case looks cool, 88 looks bland) and then slap on a mediocre 8" display?

Should've been at least 10-13" in order to take advantage of all the features.

Now everything is just cluttered up into a display you cant see with the naked eye.

Amazes me why Korg continue to be so stubborn about this? Any ideas?

The info on that page is a copy&paste job from the Kronos page in need of some edits. It also speaks of a ‘gigantic’ SSD (=60Gb😁).
It would be nice if it were possible to hook up a touchscreen monitor.
I’m hoping that the Kronos successor will feature at least a 10” screen.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandstudio91 wrote:
You had high hopes for a budget version of Kronos,to be better than the Kronos?? More like delusional hopes.
For years,I've wanted a budget-priced spinoff of a Kronos(didn't think it would ever happen)...but Korg delivered...if you ask me,I think this is absolutely extraordinary!
Yes...the Nautilus IS a Kronos in different packaging and that sir,is the whole point!
Actually...the Nautilus is a 7" display and if you cannot see it clearly,go to a dollar store and buy a pair of reading glasses,problem solved.

If you like 10" display screens so much,then you should have bought an Oasys for $8,500 when you had the chance.

Thus far,I have not read a single valid complaint from you,regarding the Nautilus.

1)
I did buy the Oasys with a bigger screen.
What has that got to do with the Nautilus tiny screen?

2)
Did you bother to read their page?
Here is the quote:
"The nerve center of the NAUTILUS is KORG’s enormous eight-inch (800 x 480 pixel) WVGA color TouchView display. "

8", not 7"

3)
You think adding a bigger screen is what constitutes making the difference between a premium or budget price for a synth?
The screen isn't the most expensive component. Especially in 2020.

4)
Reading glasses do not solve the problem of a cluttered screen that could have been otherwise better organised on a bigger screen.

Do you get it yet?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg is not going to read your posts on this forum.

If you have constructive criticism about new products by Korg, why not let them know directly ?

Send your letter to the Kato's here:

https://www.korg.com/jp/corporate/englishinfo/

Head Office
4015-2, Yanokuchi, Inagi-shi, Tokyo, 206-0812, Japan
Tel: 042-379-5771 / Fax: 042-379-5773
highlandstudio91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have the Oasys,what in the bloody hell do you have to complain about?
I quickly double-checked the specs before I posted my reply & in fact,the Nautilus's display is 7". https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/nautilus/specifications.php

https://imgur.com/04yCpVr

You evidently,did not bother to read Korg's web page...or somehow you confused the Kronos page with the Nautilus page.

What does the Oasys's display,have to do with the Nautilus's display?Well...the Oasys is 4 times the price & here is something you never took into consideration.
A keyboard workstation screen is not like a cell phone screen,in that with a keyboard screen,you have a lot of routing in terms of circuitry & wires to & from the physical controls,in connection with the display screen.This requires a lot of man-hours to map out & implement,so this takes up a significant portion of the production budget.
I've been comfortably working with Korg workstations ever since the Triton series increased their display screens to 4" X 5" & I have had no issues navigating around the menus.
For me & a lot of other Korg users,we appreciate having all of the power of Kronos in a budget keyboard.For me personally...I thought I'd never see the day when I could have a 73 key workstation with the heart of Kronos in it,for $2,400.
Some people really appreciate having the option to have an alternative to a desktop DAW & understand the differences in workflow between the 2(as well as realizing that hardware has higher production costs)...but you just don't get it & you'd rather spout your senseless & arbitrary complaints about new keyboard you don't have any need for.

[/img]
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandstudio91 wrote:
Since you have the Oasys,what in the bloody hell do you have to complain about?
I quickly double-checked the specs before I posted my reply & in fact,the Nautilus's display is 7". https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/nautilus/specifications.php

https://imgur.com/04yCpVr

You evidently,did not bother to read Korg's web page...or somehow you confused the Kronos page with the Nautilus page.

What does the Oasys's display,have to do with the Nautilus's display?Well...the Oasys is 4 times the price & here is something you never took into consideration.
A keyboard workstation screen is not like a cell phone screen,in that with a keyboard screen,you have a lot of routing in terms of circuitry & wires to & from the physical controls,in connection with the display screen.This requires a lot of man-hours to map out & implement,so this takes up a significant portion of the production budget.
I've been comfortably working with Korg workstations ever since the Triton series increased their display screens to 4" X 5" & I have had no issues navigating around the menus.
For me & a lot of other Korg users,we appreciate having all of the power of Kronos in a budget keyboard.For me personally...I thought I'd never see the day when I could have a 73 key workstation with the heart of Kronos in it,for $2,400.
Some people really appreciate having the option to have an alternative to a desktop DAW & understand the differences in workflow between the 2(as well as realizing that hardware has higher production costs)...but you just don't get it & you'd rather spout your senseless & arbitrary complaints about new keyboard you don't have any need for.

[/img]

No, it’s not Hedegaard that’s confused, but rather Korg themselves. The copy on the product page for the Nautilus proudly proclaims:

Quote:
Color TouchView Display

The nerve center of the NAUTILUS is KORG’s enormous eight-inch (800 x 480 pixel) WVGA color TouchView display.

They’ve literally copy-and-pasted large chunks of the KRONOS product page and performed a bad find-and-replace.

I do agree that calling a 7 inch screen “enormous” in an age where that’s a typical mobile phone screen size is a bit laughable. Korg have really phoned this one in.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Stephen Butler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg NAUTILUS is a colossal, incredible, amazing, stupendous, complete and total waste of money.

Supposed to be a 'budget' KRONOS, is it? It seems that not only have they copied and pasted their screen size from the KRONOS, but also their prices. Check these out:

KRONOS:
https://www.google.com/search?q=korg+kronos+2+uk+price&oq=korg+kronos+2+uk+price&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i22i29i30l5.7167j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

NAUTILUS:
https://www.google.com/search?q=korg+nautilus+uk+price&oq=korg+nautilus+uk+price&aqs=chrome..69i57.8711j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Absolute total toss. Who on earth who has that kind of money is going to say, "No, I don't want a Kronos, I want to pay just as much money and have less features, please!"

Korg, I hope, will have egg on their corporate faces a year from now, and will have withdrawn this lesser Kronos and replaced it with something that has more features.

It seems that everything about this instrument is a copy-and-paste job. What a pointless waste of time from possibly the greatest of all synth makers. Have they really got so little to do?

Cheers,
Stephen x

www.vipersquadron.com
www.stephen-butler.com
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling a sort of sense of deja vu.

They basically used the Krome with the M3 engine (minus audio management) as their midrange for a while between Kross and Kronos.

Perhaps they just took a different approach to castrating the Kronos to make a new midrange tool with last decade's technology, and the new flagship will contain some mind-blowing new technology instead?

I'm speculating, but this looks like one of the cases of history rhyming.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I'm feeling a sort of sense of deja vu.

They basically used the Krome with the M3 engine (minus audio management) as their midrange for a while between Kross and Kronos.

Perhaps they just took a different approach to castrating the Kronos to make a new midrange tool with last decade's technology, and the new flagship will contain some mind-blowing new technology instead?

I'm speculating, but this looks like one of the cases of history rhyming.

my priority is sound programming.

spec and features a 2 way 2nd place tie.

I get the pianos. I think Korg did their magic on piano.

I have to hear more new combi's and how the non piano programs have improved.

For the premium or high price of Nautilus, the programs, combis should be stellar.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

For the premium or high price of Nautilus, the programs, combis should be stellar.

Oh, I'm sure it'll sound juicier than a ripe peach; that's not my point. Honestly, the Krome sound pretty good too, given a running start.

My point is that I think they're doing the same market positioning thing with respect to a prior generation's engine, and that they have something huge up their sleeves for the Kronimonster(tm), their new flagship.

As to exactly what that would be, I could only speculate. Something based on the same technology as the Novation Peak? Licensed Kyma engines? Who knows?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
GregC wrote:

Oh, I'm sure it'll sound juicier than a ripe peach; that's not my point. Honestly, the Krome sound pretty good too, given a running start.

My point is that I think they're doing the same market positioning thing with respect to a prior generation's engine, and that they have something huge up their sleeves for the Kronimonster(tm), their new flagship.

As to exactly what that would be, I could only speculate. Something based on the same technology as the Novation Peak? Licensed Kyma engines? Who knows?

Oic you like or speculate super duper high end expensive keyboard by korg.

I say no.

My trend theory is Kronos is going eol late 2021/2022.

Nautilus is gap machine for next 2 or 3 yrs.

Not exciting but that’s my take.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well be right about the Kronos's lifespan, the only place where I differ is that I don't think they'll leave too much gap before announcing the new hotness - and announcing it loudly and clearly.

In fact, now that I think about it, consider this: they leave the Nautilus where it is for the next 6 months, to get all that early adopter premium cash, then they announce a big price cut on it (maybe $500 or so), and quietly cut prices on Kronos as well and tell the retailers to clear the channel, only officially ending the Kronos yet another 6 months out but at that time announcing something so new, so outrageously magical, that the Nautilus looks kind of like warmed-over oldtech midrange by comparison.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
You may well be right about the Kronos's lifespan, the only place where I differ is that I don't think they'll leave too much gap before announcing the new hotness - and announcing it loudly and clearly.

In fact, now that I think about it, consider this: they leave the Nautilus where it is for the next 6 months, to get all that early adopter premium cash, then they announce a big price cut on it (maybe $500 or so), and quietly cut prices on Kronos as well and tell the retailers to clear the channel, only officially ending the Kronos yet another 6 months out but at that time announcing something so new, so outrageously magical, that the Nautilus looks kind of like warmed-over oldtech midrange by comparison.

yes, Korg has an intense w/s keyboard following. early birds buy nautilus, thats a sure thing.

Later, nautilus makes sense with Kronos out of the way or EOL.

Then the wait and see types continue to buy Nautilus.

Korg will only cut price on Nautilus if sales flop and falter for 3 or more months.

The days of Korg doing + $4000 keyboard w/s is about over.
Same with some other +$4000 wet dream Performance synth.

Todays risk adverse Korg plays in the under $1000 space with some new products under $2900.

not a dreamer or wishful thinker here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: