Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use the step sequencer other than with drums

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mascob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: How to use the step sequencer other than with drums Reply with quote

Hello all the krossy lovers!
First I have to say I'm not very active on this forum, but I read a lot and often consult the different topics.
Now I have a little problem. I know it's possible to use the step sequencer other than a rythmic section.
The great Dan Stesco use it as a real sequencer in one of his JMJ combi!
But how?
I tried some tricks or tests, but I don't find the solution...it's frustrating especially when you know it's possible...
So if you have some ideas or if you have the solution...
It would be great, for me and for all the krosses communauty !
Thanks. Laughing
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I could not try it because my Kross is stowed away due to circumstances. But here is my take.

1. You create first your own drumkit. (Global mode) You search for a sample that you would like to use as instrument (Though I believe it is limited to drum samples). You assign it to e.g. C4 + transpose it. For the keys lower than C4, you deselect the assign parameter. This will make that the sample at C4 is automatically down transposed accordingly. In fact when you press the key, the board searches for the first higher key which has an assigned sample and transposes it down according the distance.

2. In the step sequencer, choose then your own kit. On the instrument tab, you choose per tone the all parameter and then also the note that needs to be sounded. The notes should be below the C4 as that is the one you've setup in the previous bullet. This should allow you to setup the step sequencer to choose between 12 notes and enable/disable them per step.

Hope it works out...
mascob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OpAmp for your reply.
I think your technic should work, but I'm quasi sure that's not the technic used by Dan Stesco, because I have his JMJ soundpack and I didn't find in the drumkits something like that.
However, in the combi Dan use the sound "fat Unisson Synth" instead of a drumkit on the midi channel 10...
I sent a MP to Dan Stesco...I hope he will answer...
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Curious to know how it works then...

Note that the step sequencer if AFAIK not related to the classic drum MIDI channel 10.
On page C–STEP SEQ/Basic, what program is selected there?
Can you edit the melody within the combi itself (page C–STEP SEQ/Edit)?

Initially I tought you were referring to the arpeggiator. This one is also able to produce melodies by using a custom pattern created in certain way. Basically it is a one note pattern (you hold one key), but the pattern transposes that note for every step.

Bye
mascob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello OpAmp,
In the combi, the C-STEP SEQ/Basic is the "0: rock kit" and yes I can edit the melody directly with the pads...I will send you some pics in MP...
IF I want to use this technic, it's because I'M preparing a combi that needs 2 arppegiators AND a sequence...
All your help is welcome Wink
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had some PM exchanged and figured it out.
I thought it would be interesting for other ones as well as it opens some new possibilities, so here a small HowTo.

- Take a combi. (It won't work in Program mode)
- Setup the step sequencer, the drum kit that is on the C-Step Seq/Basic page is not important as it will be muted (see further)
- On the C-Step Seq/Inst page, choose for each tone the All mode and the note name the tone should play (your melody can contain up to 12 different notes).
- On the Combi/Mixer page, set the volume for Timbre 16 to 0. (To mute the drumkit of the step sequencer)
- Set up one ore more timbres (1 to 15) that should be played by the step sequencer)
- On the C-Timbre/MIDI page, make sure that timbres that should be played by the step sequencer use the same MIDI channel nr as Timbre 16 (Step sequencer)
- Start the step sequencer and edit the pattern...

Enjoy
mascob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
We had some PM exchanged and figured it out.
I thought it would be interesting for other ones as well as it opens some new possibilities, so here a small HowTo.

- Take a combi. (It won't work in Program mode)
- Setup the step sequencer, the drum kit that is on the C-Step Seq/Basic page is not important as it will be muted (see further)
- On the C-Step Seq/Inst page, choose for each tone the All mode and the note name the tone should play (your melody can contain up to 12 different notes).
- On the Combi/Mixer page, set the volume for Timbre 16 to 0. (To mute the drumkit of the step sequencer)
- Set up one ore more timbres (1 to 15) that should be played by the step sequencer)
- On the C-Timbre/MIDI page, make sure that timbres that should be played by the step sequencer use the same MIDI channel nr as Timbre 16 (Step sequencer)
- Start the step sequencer and edit the pattern...

Enjoy

thank you for your summary! I was trying to do the same to post it, but my practice of English and my little experience made you beat me!
thank you again for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: