Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording MP3s on PA700

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Recording MP3s on PA700 Reply with quote

Hello there Smile

When you record an MP3 on the PA700 (and probably the PA1000 and PA4X as well), I noticed that the MP3 file is pretty high, to the point of clipping (but Im not hearing distortion). I have to put it into a DAW (like Audacity) and adjust the level of the MP3 down by a dB or two so it does not keep in the red.

I am recording at the highest setting on the PA700 that is allowed for the MP3, so it is not a matter of quality.

Does the PA700 (and the others I mentioned) generate the MP3 via the MP3 Volume in the Global page, or does it generate the MP3 based on the velocity level for the tracks in the sequence I am recording an MP3 of? As far as I know, the MP3 Volume level in the Global page is for the playback level of the MP3s that one wants to play on the PA700, but maybe there is more to it...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording MP3s on PA700 Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
..adjust the level of the MP3 down by a dB or two ..

If you create e.g. 192 kBit/s MP3s with LAME and loud fully controlled music, then you have to lower the level of the wave files by at least about 1.5 dB (corresponding to about 85%) before creating the MP3 so that the MP3 does not play back overdriven and thus clipping.
Since version 3.94 LAME itself has an undocumented automatic at a constant bit rate built-in level reduction, at 192kBit /s it is about 0.26 dB and thus far too little. From 256 kBit/s is the level reduction supposedly ineffective at lower bit rates than 192 kBit /s it gets bigger.

To the level itself lower that ignores the built-in (and with variable bit rate strangely missing anyway) level reduction and "dims" the original file before creating the MP3 on the fly to 85% corresponding to -1.5 dB. For current rock and pop music, however, lowering it by 1.5 dB before creating the MP3 is actually mandatory.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording MP3s on PA700 Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:
..adjust the level of the MP3 down by a dB or two ..

If you create e.g. 192 kBit/s MP3s with LAME and loud fully controlled music, then you have to lower the level of the wave files by at least about 1.5 dB (corresponding to about 85%) before creating the MP3 so that the MP3 does not play back overdriven and thus clipping.
Since version 3.94 LAME itself has an undocumented automatic at a constant bit rate built-in level reduction, at 192kBit /s it is about 0.26 dB and thus far too little. From 256 kBit/s is the level reduction supposedly ineffective at lower bit rates than 192 kBit /s it gets bigger.

To the level itself lower that ignores the built-in (and with variable bit rate strangely missing anyway) level reduction and "dims" the original file before creating the MP3 on the fly to 85% corresponding to -1.5 dB. For current rock and pop music, however, lowering it by 1.5 dB before creating the MP3 is actually mandatory.

I do not think that you understand what I am saying. Maybe I was not clear enough in my initial post. If so, I apologize...

I am talking about creating MP3's on the PA700. I know about the computer side of things - I own a studio and when/if I use an MP3 in the studio, it is always a constant bit rate at 320k. Since Audacity uses Lame, I do not need to change anything.

What I am talking about is the volume level of the MP3 that I record on the PA700. I am asking if the PA700 records its MP3 files based on the volume of the Global MP3 playback setting (which I doubt), or does it create the MP3 internally by recording the velocity of the combination of the tracks? Maybe it creates the MP3 based on track volume... I do not know exactly. I am recording sequences into MP3 files from the PA700 so I can put them on Google Drive for the different people in the duo and trio to practice to.

Most of the sequences have tracks that are full velocity, but not at full volume. Even on less dense sequences (less tracks being played back), the volume is still very high in the MP3 and I have to reduce the MP3 volume/velocity level in Audacity by a db or two so it will not visibly clip in the file.

I have turned the Global Limiter off, thinking that the PA700 records based on volume after the Limiter, but it is the same each way...

These files are not for any production or master-level finals, they are simply for the other members to practice to before we actually get together to practice.

I am not sure what levels Korg uses when creating the MP3 files. If there is something that I can change; provided I do not have to lower track volumes or change the velocity in each track. If there is nothing I can do internally on the PA700, that is fine. I just wanted to check and see.

Thank you for your answer, but I am aware of file manipulation on the PC side of things.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: