Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with Chord Variations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Offenbach

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Need help with Chord Variations Reply with quote

Hi All, I am new to the PA4x - had it since monday 21/12/2020. And I absolutely love this keyboard.

I upgraded from a T5 to Genos a year ago (originally played Roland G70) and it was a disaster to play. So I sold the Genos and now I have to start all over programming. I have 5 months to get just a little of my old repertoire up and running - mostly will be my own style creations.

So now I have had a couple of days to play around with the Korg and getting to know it.
My main purpose is to create my own styles again as I did on the G70 - and which is completely impossible to do on Yamaha.

So here's the pickle.
I have a style from D-o-o (producers of really crappy styles - I cannot recommend throwing money after these!!)
Anyway - I switched the drums from standard drums to a brush set. But the E2 note should be D2 instead. So I went to micro editing for Fill-in1 and manually changed the drums. But it keeps playing E2. I have set all chord types to variation1 and deleted chord var2.
In record mode - if i set recording to drums - they play correctly with D2 - but when I set any of the Acc to record mode - the drums play with E2......
any ideas why??
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have made your E2 to D2 changes in all the ACCs, INTROs ENDINGs etc (to your requirements) then there is no reason why these changes should be lost.

Are you actually "writing" the style after your editing and before exiting style edit mode?
(Not insulting your intelligence here, but it is easy to do - done it myself in the past Sad )

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg need to take a long hard look at Roland's Makeup Tools header editor system, IMHO.

Yes, it's nice to have the OPTION to micro edit all the CV's separately, but let's face it, 95% of the time, you want to make global changes like this one.

Roland's Makeup Tools editor allowed you to easily change drum notes, velocity offsets (to fine tune for vel-splits in drum sounds) and alter individual drum effect sends and it affected ALL instances of that kit in the style. It turned an hour editing session into a five minute quick exercise.

The easier something is to do, the more most people will be willing to do it! Korg might consider this when designing future OS's...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comprehensive PC/Mac editor for the PA4X is the only sensible solution here - cramming more in the OS will turn the screen/menus into a triple-Kronos.
Very Happy
Offenbach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
If you have made your E2 to D2 changes in all the ACCs, INTROs ENDINGs etc (to your requirements) then there is no reason why these changes should be lost.

Are you actually "writing" the style after your editing and before exiting style edit mode?
(Not insulting your intelligence here, but it is easy to do - done it myself in the past Sad )

Pete Very Happy

Hi Pete,
no offence taken Smile
Yes, i am writing the style every time i make a change.
It really is odd. I must say, that the Chord variation system isn't the best idea the way the layout is made ......
Offenbach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
Korg need to take a long hard look at Roland's Makeup Tools header editor system, IMHO.

Yes, it's nice to have the OPTION to micro edit all the CV's separately, but let's face it, 95% of the time, you want to make global changes like this one.

Roland's Makeup Tools editor allowed you to easily change drum notes, velocity offsets (to fine tune for vel-splits in drum sounds) and alter individual drum effect sends and it affected ALL instances of that kit in the style. It turned an hour editing session into a five minute quick exercise.

The easier something is to do, the more most people will be willing to do it! Korg might consider this when designing future OS's...

You are so right. I would loooooove to have had that option in the Korg. Roland was the king with the Protools system in the G70
Offenbach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
A comprehensive PC/Mac editor for the PA4X is the only sensible solution here - cramming more in the OS will turn the screen/menus into a triple-Kronos.
Very Happy

Now that would be great!......I was wondering if Styleworks XT could be the solution?
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Nicholson’s fly on the wall video of him creating Styles may help you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydv7P-fFODE
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris is a crack-up - love the guy
Check out his "mods" - here's what he did to the Casio MZ-X500:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGNOqiMbsmo

Sorry - gone a bit off-topic

Pete Very Happy

P.S. The term "crack-up" in OZ is an endearing term
Offenbach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Problem solved!!! Reply with quote

Thanks to all for you replies.
I figured out what the problem was Smile

A snaredrum variation was set to "1" - I turned it to "Off" and that solved it Smile
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Very Happy

In fairness, Roland’s touch screen implementation for the G70/E80’s Makeup Tools was easy to operate and pretty comprehensive. Even the LCD screen version in the BK series wasn’t as tough to run as Korg’s system

The thing about a header editor is, it’s not something you use while performing, so there’s no real ‘cramming’ the OS. As you can see, from those that ever used the Roland system, there are zero complaints of the OS being overwhelmed, or of it being too much for a small screen. Don’t knock it unless you’ve tried it!

One of my major problems with computer based editing solutions is that the life of your arranger is often considerably longer than support for the software as new computer OS’s (and new arrangers with new OS’s) make it less and less economically viable for a manufacturer to continue support years after the product is discontinued. For all the supposed ‘cramming’, at least a built-in editor lasts the lifetime of your arranger.

How many of us have a decrepit computer system taking up home or studio space just to run ONE piece of legacy software because the manufacturer discontinued editor support?! I’d much rather deal with doing it ‘in the box’ than have to deal with multiple legacy system maintenance to run decades old software!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: