Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leslie effect on M50??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Leslie effect on M50?? Reply with quote

I have searched the manuals for info on leslie effect (rotatry speakers).
I found somethng in the parameters guide in the effect guide starting on page 271, (rotary speaker page 324) BUT NOTHING ON HOW TO SET IT UP !!
even if I knew what I was doing... !!
And I don't.

Is there a step by step somewhere? I do have an expression pedal - M-Audi EX-P. I plug it in but it does not seen to do anything on any of my organ pgms, of course.

Anyone have a link or know how?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M50's default organ Programs use a flick upwards of the joystick to turn the rotary effect on, and another flick upwards to turn it off. Select one of the organ Programs and see how this method works. Then look at the parameters for this effect, which can be accessed using Page Select and choosing Page 8 (IFX Effect). Look at which numbered effects "slot" the Rotary Speaker effect uses, then tap the corresponding IFXn tab. Here it is possible to make changes and experiment with the various parameters. Seeing how it's done for other programs, and experimenting, is the best way of learning. The Realtime control knob 2 (User 2)(when the "B" LED is lit) is used to set the Leslie speed on some Programs.

There is more detail in the M50 Parameter Guide on page 324.

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The M50's default organ Programs use a flick upwards of the joystick to turn the rotary effect on, and another flick upwards to turn it off. Select one of the organ Programs and see how this method works. Then look at the parameters for this effect, which can be accessed using Page Select and choosing Page 8 (IFX Effect). Look at which numbered effects "slot" the Rotary Speaker effect uses, then tap the corresponding IFXn tab. Here it is possible to make changes and experiment with the various parameters. Seeing how it's done for other programs, and experimenting, is the best way of learning. The Realtime control knob 2 (User 2)(when the "B" LED is lit) is used to set the Leslie speed on some Programs.

There is more detail in the M50 Parameter Guide on page 324.

Yep - you nailed it.

Basically, the user has to send that Organ sound/track to an IFX that has the Leslie/Rotary effect selected in it. Usually, pushing the joystick up will activate it and pushing it up again will slow the rotary effect (where it sounds VERY slow or off).

If the OP wishes to, they can also set the modulation source to trigger via a foot-switch and there is a drop down menu for selecting the modulation source for doing so. Then, whenever the user presses the footswitch, it will activate. Make sure that the modulation source it set to 'Toggle' instead of 'Momentary' so that the effect stays on until the OP presses the foot pedal again.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Alp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying in SEQUENCE mode. The leslie effect was not available in Seq mode.
I THINK i tried copy IFX and the like, but maybe I flubbed it
ANYWAY.... the leslie effect IS available in PROG mode with joystick up.
Thanks
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alp wrote:
I was trying in SEQUENCE mode. The leslie effect was not available in Seq mode.
I THINK i tried copy IFX and the like, but maybe I flubbed it
ANYWAY.... the leslie effect IS available in PROG mode with joystick up.
Thanks

Thank you for the clarification. Nowhere in the original post does it mention Sequence Mode. That changes things a bit.

For Sequence Mode, You can assign the Rotary Effect as an IFX or as one of the MFX. You may even be able to assign it as a TFX to affect the entire keyboard for that particular Sequence location.

The EASIEST thing to do is assign the Rotary Effect to an IFX slot (let's say IFX 1, for an example). You have to go into the IFX section in Sequence Mode (hitting the Menu button while in the sequencer).

There will be a row of tabs at the bottom/. The Route 1-8 or 9-16 is where you select which of the 16 tracks go where (whether or not you want them to see an IFX or simply the L/R routings.

The L/R routing will bypass all IFX and simply go to the MFX/TFX.

You will also notice a tab at the bottom for IFX Setup. This is where you would choose which effects you want to have as IFX. When you select one, make sure that it is turned on.

Let's say that you want Track 1 to have the Rotary Effect. You would go into the Route 1-8 tab and tell the system that Track 1 is supposed to go to IFX 1. Hit the little arrow for Track 1 and select IFX 1.

Then, you can go into the IFX Setup page and check the settings for the Rotary Effect in IFX 1. THIS is where our previous information is helpful. You can also chain the IFX from this page. If you want an MFX to happen after the IFX, you can select the levels here too.

I would refer you to page 175 in the manual to understand a bit more, as it can be pretty in-depth, and the manual has pictures that clearly show what I am trying to explain above Smile

Hope this clears things up a bit more.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Alp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Harry. Much detail! I will archive it on my hard drivet for future reference. No doubt the details will help with other effects I may desire for SEQ mode.

!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: