Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you enjoying programming your wavestate??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dead dog salute

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Are you enjoying programming your wavestate?? Reply with quote

Greetings wavestate owners, on Xmas eve I bought an opsix and so far I'm loving programming sounds that my dx7 could only dream of.

I'm here to ask if you are enjoying programming patches on your wavestate or if its a total pain that really could use an editor. I ask because I've got an sy22 vector synth and programming the vector side ftom the synth itself was a complete pain in the arse with all those separate vector points and steps. I'm very interested in buying a wavestate at some point because it sounds lovely
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An official editor has recently been announced. Check this thread for a little more info.
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tool better be used as what is it's aimed for.
A couple of things Wavestate can be used for

- using pitch sequences on one or a couple of samples

This you can do on any synth with step sequencer.
If having multiple parts you blend with something else as well.

- make sequences of percussive sounds
This is very handly in Wavestate and rather easy to do.

- make intricate transformations of swirling things going on
Capabilities are vast in Wavestate doing this.

But takes a special mindset and my imagination is the limiting factor.
So I find this difficult.

I by no means feel I need an editor, very nicely done as it is IMO. But can see that an editor will give an overview of things that might make some things easier.

For me using an editor completely ruins the idea of hardware synths. The hands on - not a mouse click fest.

So I will explorer further and try get into new territory of my mind to think out what I would like to get going in tranformations and stuff.

I don't think much of quality of the playable sounds, these I will layer in computer with various sequences of high quality instruments - piano, synths, organ, drums etc. Mapped sample sets are very few and pitch shifting is used instead to the larger degree. And not very high quality pitch shifting, a lot of harsch artifacts in doing that. Maybe offer a couple of quality options since higher takes more cpu and you can decide if the load is too high. Some presets already bulge on the loaded samples where all lanes have a lot of things going.

One thing that would be helpful is to clearly mark those that are mapped at all with a symbol, but it all comes down to if sample every note or how frequent.

For recording and the process arranging I use a daw. This does not require mouse click fest in the sense that making synth sounds does - it's just press record and record live of all instruments. But then introduce some tempodriven stuff like from Wavestate which I did not do before at all, all been live recordings. Record live is the fun part for me in the process.

But for the purpose of making things in Wavestate I will out of convenience just use as placeholder the onboard playable sounds and then just mute those layers as I transfer into daw the sequenced parts.

But for OP description I might look into ModWave as it has a recorder for Kaoss like sequence movements. And it is designed like ordinary synth with x oscillators. To make swirling movements that make pads interesting I gather is easier on that one in a sense. And very clever thinking in how to think in terms of gravity and weight of what is moving - so more weight make things move slower etc.

If a firmware update made you record joystick movements into a sequence for Wavestate would be a killer feature. Edit coordinates and time between them is not my cup of tea.
mattydaniels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: easy peasy Reply with quote

yeah its great fun well it was until it died on me but its a fairly straightforward synth to program really a few things are confusing at first and how they impact ya sound but just have to dive it don't bother reading the manual watch some vids and just experiemnt with it and also get some drum machine pattern maps cause they come in handy and it can get a bit much on the brain to get ya head round it but once you do a lotta lotta fun and easy to program esp rave and space rock stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: