Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa1000 - Expand memory for PCM samples

View previous topic :: View next topic  
infinityuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 - Expand memory for PCM samples Reply with quote

Hello, newbie to the forum.

Just bought Pa1000 but pitty that we are in 2021 and we can only load 300mb SET to a professional keyboard that cost nearly £2.000

Pardon my French talk, but this is a disgrace by korg and a money grabber as it seems. is like buying a shiny Macbook Pro laptop today but it has a brain of a windows 98 ram inside?

Happy to hear your thoughts, having said that, after all is only a instrument, and can't be as bad as the today's Covid SCAMnDEMIC can it? Smile
MusicLover400

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 - Expand memory for PCM samples Reply with quote

infinityuniverse wrote:
Hello, newbie to the forum.

Just bought Pa1000 but pitty that we are in 2021 and we can only load 300mb SET to a professional keyboard that cost nearly £2.000

Pardon my French talk, but this is a disgrace by korg and a money grabber as it seems. is like buying a shiny Macbook Pro laptop today but it has a brain of a windows 98 ram inside?

Happy to hear your thoughts, having said that, after all is only a instrument, and can't be as bad as the today's Covid SCAMnDEMIC can it? Smile

IMHO, in general people collect things, We thought we will have plenty of room when we moved from a two garage house to a three garage house, shortly after a few month the garage was full of junks again.
The more RAM they give us the more data we are going to collect and soon we are going to ask for more.
I think Korg should give us better tools to be able to manage the RAM easier, like PA manager for free.
Does anyone know if the Korg RAM can be upgraded by users?

Best Regards,
Al
infinityuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 - Expand memory for PCM samples Reply with quote

@MusicLover400...but you have just contradicted yourself by asking more or less the same BIG question...which I stand firm, why there is such small user ram for such a great expensive keyboard?
MusicLover400

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, if you can get more RAM go for it, through Korg
or upgrading it yourself, but regardless you still need to manage the RAM therefore asking to get tools to manage RAM is better than asking for more RAM in my opinion.

Best Regards
Al
infinityuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, I do understand you, but even with a set fully compressed, is a joke to have just 300mb. Again it comes down to grid by Korg, is 2021 and not windows 98 operating system lol! Very Happy
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinityuniverse wrote:
No worries, I do understand you, but even with a set fully compressed, is a joke to have just 300mb. Again it comes down to grid by Korg, is 2021 and not windows 98 operating system lol! Very Happy

According to Korg's website on the PA1000, the 300Mb is equivalent to 600Mb.

I agree about RAM Management Software, as it could help organize the samples in a more logical way.

I do wish that our PA Series boards had the ability to upgrade the RAM by ourselves, though. It would be nice to be able to load more samples into my PA700. I could think of a couple of other things, in addition to the piano sample set, that I would like in there.

I believe that the RAM in our PA keyboards (at least the PA700 and PA1000) are not user-upgradeable.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
ime95mos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the requirement is for the type of memory. There's a microSD slot. If the read-speed is good enough it should be possible utilize that?
Asena
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sd is to slow!

And it,s not easy ro ad that on OS!

KORG PA 5-X/YAMAHA GENOS 2/YAMAHA A 5000
LIONSTRACK X 76 & GROOVE XR
MEDELI AKX-10

MacbookproM2-Ssd/Logic/Neuman/Kali Audio8/Komplette14SDD/ Apollo Twin/PIONEER XDJ RX 2
LOTS OF SAMPLE SOUNDS!
KorgPaManager V 5
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ime95mos wrote:
I wonder what the requirement is for the type of memory. There's a microSD slot. If the read-speed is good enough it should be possible utilize that?

If you are talking about the MicroSD slot in the back of the unit, I am not sure if we can load and read samples from it. I would imagine that it might be too slow, even when using the highest speed available for SD Cards.

I think that the memory for samples are on chips on the motherboard somewhere. I am not sure they are user-upgradeable.

It is too bad that we cannot upgrade the memory ourselves and then be able to load sample libraries in that Korg uses in their Kronos synth. That would be cool.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
infinityuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was an easy fix like the Upgrade software for pa1000 like the NEXT for pa4x and suddenly pa4x can take 1.5gb instead of 400mb as it had before.

So it can be done, but it is up to korg. Ether way, I since have sold out my pa1000 because of the user memory of ram ridiculous 300mb limit.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my 700 because it was full and because of the poor keybed.

The Next OS in the 4X was released two years ago and even then the 4X is an old design.

Where are the OS updates for both the 700 and 1000, nowhere?

Both are on v1.5 which given that the 700 and 1000 were both released in 2017 is pretty damming of Korg.

Since 2018 Yamaha have released the Genos and the SX 600, 700 & 900 models.

What have Korg released, yet more and more Synths and the cut down Kronos which is the Nautilus.

Arranger users are being very badly served by Korg in fact they are not being served at all.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 missing updates Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
...Where are the OS updates for both the 700 and 1000, nowhere? ... users are being very badly served by Korg in fact they are not being served at all...

I too am particularly annoyed by the lack of support in the midrange area.

The limited functionality of style player features has been known to Korg since the introduction of the last product series (Pa1000 compared to pa800).

In the meantime, complaints have been made several times. In a last email from January 27, 2021, I was informed by Korg Support Germany that at least the successor models will be equipped with a comfortable operating logic, with which the problems I have complained about will no longer be relevant.

That seems to be more like a repetition, well known unfortunately. If functions are missing again or inadequacies can not be noticed immediately upon purchase, you can complain again until that successor becomes a discontinued model. Again you get the information the next successor would be equipped without the recent new problems.

It is incomprehensible why Korg is not ready to make an update in the midrange area as well, with which the inadequacies of the current Pa1000 can be remedied as it was done with the Pa4x!
---> http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=798746

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
I sold my 700 because it was full and because of the poor keybed.

The Next OS in the 4X was released two years ago and even then the 4X is an old design.

Where are the OS updates for both the 700 and 1000, nowhere?

Both are on v1.5 which given that the 700 and 1000 were both released in 2017 is pretty damming of Korg.

Since 2018 Yamaha have released the Genos and the SX 600, 700 & 900 models.

What have Korg released, yet more and more Synths and the cut down Kronos which is the Nautilus.

Arranger users are being very badly served by Korg in fact they are not being served at all.

Sorry to hear that you sold your PA700. I still have mine from September 2017 and it is getting more use than ever (even with COVID hindering my live performances). I find it a very capable instrument in my studio and still the centerpiece of my songwriting and sequencing.

I am not sure what people expect from Korg from the arranger category, as even though we love the instruments, they are still what I would consider a 'niche' instrument. There is very little that I wish Korg would change about them, to be honest, as they serve my purpose very well. There was one lingering problem I had with MIDI control of external instruments (namely, for me, a drum machine to layer with Korg's built in drum sounds) and siebenhirter gave me advice that solved that problem. Thanks again siebenhirter Smile

I know that the keybed on the PA700 is not the best - I think that it is the same one as on the Kross 2. Yeah, they are not the most musical, but maybe I am able to adapt better to a keybed than others. I simply use what I have been given when I buy something.

I will agree that Korg have paid more attention to their synth line than they have their arranger line. Again, for me, that is not really a problem, as the PA700 really does work for me. It is obvious that is not the case for everyone.

I read the comments as they come in, as I check the forum daily on almost every category that they have a thread on. There are many posts about 'I just bought this and I want to add my own sounds'. While that is fine, I wonder if the user actually took the time to listen to what Korg have already provided in the Factory resources... I know that not every sound on our PA keyboards are the best that Korg have to offer, but most of them are really good. The obvious exception would be a really good main piano sound for the PA700 (that is why I loaded in the Yamaha C5 piano sample set from Reuben). THe PA1000 and PA4X have the better piano sounds already in the factory resources. Others have commented about the guitar sounds. I really find nothing much wrong with them at all, because part of playing a convincing guitar sound on a keyboard has as much to do with the articulation (playing) of that sound as much as the samples that are used IN that sound.

I also understand about configuring the unit to one's specifications, but sometimes I think that our expectations are bit high in this regard. These are not synths like the Kronos with lots of memory available for loading in our own samples (well, maybe the PA4X is, but it IS the flagship...).

I read the comments about the lower models in the PA series under the PA4X not having enough sample RAM and such and that puts people off. Are they thinking that this keyboard should be more like soft-synth and have the ability to load whatever we want in them? I do not think that this is realistic.

With the above said, I think that it would be really neat if Korg made the PA Series a bit more open-ended so that we could install more sample RAM and have more configurability in their arrangers. I, for one, would like to be able to change the colors on my screen to something that is more pleasing to me. I also wish that we could stack multiple MIDI tracks in the sequencer on a single MIDI channel (like on their synths). This would free up more space in the sequencer when multiple sounds are playing the same pattern/sequence. Right now, if I want two tracks to play the same part, I have to copy one track to another track and change the sound on that track to the other sound I want. This takes up memory in the sequencer, and being able to change the MIDI channel on a given track would be easier and more efficient.

With regard to siebenhirter's ongoing issue with the StyToKbdSet thingy, I am not sure how Korg would venture to fix that. I am not even sure that I understand fully what he is talking about. I do find the PA Series a bit fiddly when wanting to change a specific Keyboard Set in an already saved slot in the Songbook. Maybe it is my lack of understanding how to fully operate that portion of the arranger... I do not know.

I did find a video from Luke from Korg on the topic of Keyboard Sets and Styles here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8gyQZhpTzc . I am not sure if this would help at all. I have a number of custom entries in the Songbook that point to an MP3 soundbed for my original music and the main sound that I play over those soundbeds. I am also putting MIDI files in there too for many other original songs and set the Keyboard Sets up accordingly. Other than that, I simply pick a style (Factory or User) and play along with them in Style Mode.

Yamaha has a few new entries in the arranger market (the SX700 and SX900, the SX600 is not an option for me), and they are pretty nice, but I think that they really do pale in comparison to Korg's offerings. I am intrigued by the new DGX670 in lots of ways, but the lack of 5-pin MIDI puts me off because I have a lot of legacy MIDI gear that I want to control. I really do not want to buy a USB to MIDI host device or a specific PC to be able to interface with them all. The EFX routings on the new SX arrangers are better than on the PA Series (even the PA4X), though. Korg would do well to do something similar to Yamaha in this category.

Maybe Korg will surprise us with a new arranger or two (or more). I would not hold my breath, though. I am not sure how I would feel about a new arranger series though, unless they offered OS upgrades on the existing line that gives us most/all of the OS features that the new arrangers would give us.

Grace,
Harry
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Update for Pa1000 Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
.. I am not sure what people expect from Korg from the arranger category...

What other people expect from Korgs arranger category I do not know, but I expect at least the functionality of the StylePlayer, for example, with which the previous models from Korg up to the Pa3x / 800/500 were equipped. But Korg reduces and worsens them instead of improving them with the appearance of each new series.

The last model series was delivered with reduced / inadequate functionality of the StylePlayer compared to previous models. Korg knew this and the customers complained about it, but only with the Pa4x some of these inadequacies were tried to compensate with updates (Fill-Mode Upd vers 1.2, KeyboardSet-Lock vers 3.0).

There was enough time also to remedy in same manner in the midrange area as well. It is annoying to receive the message from Korg that the current models will likely not be updated anymore.

It is also unbelievable when it is announced at the same time that the next successor models may be equipped with a more comfortable operating logic, because that was also said of the Pa1000, although the StylePlayer in particular was delivered with reduced functionality, without being ready to fix some like with Pa4x.
Therefore it is not surprising when devices are quickly sold again due to faulty or missing functions - or will not be bought in the future either, even with promised better functionality, which we already had with Korgs styleplayer 10 years ago.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: