Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving EXT Control Surface settings with Combi or set list

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Saving EXT Control Surface settings with Combi or set list Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it’s possible to save the control surface settings with each Combi or set list program,? I am using the EXT functions to set parameters on my external effects unit. The settings change with each different patch in the set list. I thought I could save the EXT settings per Combi or Setlist number, but that doesn’t seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but the EXT setup stays at the number you selected, no matter which combi or set list slot.

A bit of a pain, but you'll have to go to the control surface page on the EXT tab and change it there with each combi change.

The EXT Setup does respond to sysex. Might be a solution if you can get an external device to send sysex to the Kronos.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, I'll make it easy for you. Once the prep work is done, you can choose a new slot in set list mode, and in two seconds be ready to go.

Take note of which EXT setup number you want for each combi in your set list slot. Edit each set list slot and add a large font comment with external number. Something like this.

All of Me ext22
Uptown Funk ext30
Virtual Insanity ext18

So in set list mode on the lower right corner is the control surface tab. In here press the EXT tab, then touch the Setup number to highlight it. That's it, prepped and ready to go.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's how it works live on stage in action.

Holding out last chord of previous song with sustain pedal... +1 for seamless sound transitions....

Select next song in slot list, see song title and EXT#, touch control surface tab... one thousand one...

Enter EXT using numeric pad and ENTER.... one thousand two.... done!

Bonus: thumb press Exit button under wheel to go back "home" to set list view.

The trick is that the Kronos retains the last page and field you selected in control surface, even after changing song slots. So no fumbling around, and without missing a beat Hope that helps.
Mersip

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at my Kronos and I'm not sure if I've understood your issue.

But what I do:
- I use Setlists and each song has one or more Combis.
- Where I need to change the settings on my second keyboard (I use a Korg TR), I do this within the Combi.
- I set one of the timbres to EXT, and through that set the settings for the Korg TR.
- By doing this, I am able to move to the next item in the Setlist and the relevant Combi then changes the settings on the Korg TR.

If this is correct, I can give more detail on the EXT settings when I'm back home (although I think there is a post on this forum which sets this out).

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving EXT Control Surface settings with Combi or set li Reply with quote

GrahamBanks wrote:
Does anyone know if it’s possible to save the control surface settings with each Combi or set list program,? I am using the EXT functions to set parameters on my external effects unit. The settings change with each different patch in the set list. I thought I could save the EXT settings per Combi or Setlist number, but that doesn’t seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm assuming your external effects have presets right? You're going to want to send patch change messages when switching presets on the Kronos. The K can do that Combi mode, simply set a track to EXT and choose which MSB/LSB to send.

You would want your EXT controls to remain mapped as is through patch changes. The EXT control values are not sysex dumps.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Graham looks like you got 3 ways to go.

Set list two-second method, where you add the Setup # to the displayed song title. Fluid five finger motion after selecting the next song. Index finger to control surface tab. Middle and ring fingers punch in setup #. Pinky hits Enter. Thumb hits Exit.

Sysex mode, where an external controller changes the Kronos to the matching EXT Setup #. For my Kronos the string is 42 30 68 6E 00 00 0A 00 00 00 V, where V is the setup # in hex. There are a few ipad apps that send sysex. Keep in mind this will only call up the EXT setup # with its assigned CCs for each knob button slider. The exact values of those CCs are not saved.

Combi method, where you use a timbre set to EXT or EXT2. This will change your effects unit preset to match the combi. But you will have to leave the control surface EXT Setup # on the same generic, template settings. Probably the best way to go.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that none of those methods will actually save the specific values in your EXT Setup.

As hinted in the manual, the control surface EXT mode is meant to be used as a general purpose MIDI controller with CC templates. Not many MIDI controllers actually save all CC *values* with each template.

If they did, this would make them function as an external patch bank as well!

Shocked
KingKronos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with KARMA lately, and found a technique that might work for your effects unit.

MIDI CC offset. You have up to four CC values you can send, for each module.

You set which CC, and what *value* for each CC, that you want to send out when you first call up a combi. This is a one-shot deal that happens as soon as you switch to the combi.

Of course, that combi will need to be saved with KARMA active.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: