Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos future replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

Did you ever wonder where Korg workstations will go in the future?

Yesterday i was watching some reviews of the Wavestate, modwave and opsix..
And then it hit me..

Korg is making all these little synths with great tactile control..
Made me wonder how this could transfer to a future workstation?

And then it hit me like a truck..

A new workstation, with to the left side of the screen the typical mixer look we know from the Kronos .. and on the right side an interface like the wavestate that works for all synth types... with the 8 macro knobs, it should be doable.. having direct control over filter, effects, envelope, lfo and then the 8 macro knobs for the rest..

With all the Wave, in the name of those synths, it might even be that the name we heared rumored some time ago could be true? That name was “Poseidon” who rules the waves.

I think my brainfart which is based on nothing but intuition could hold more truth then i first expected... with korg developing engines of the Kronos to a new level, and paying for that development by selling those nice synth models.. and next to that kronos tech more and more finding their way to lower end models..

Add to that the age of the Kronos and the fierce competition of the Montage and the Fantom, and it becomes very predictable..
ITguy54

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they’ll announce it on April 1st.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
Maybe they’ll announce it on April 1st.

LOL Wink

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

Sadly, I think there is no future for workstations. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think there is enough of a market for a company like Korg to make back the R&D and product support costs.

While we love them, many musicians are going with the flexibility of laptop/VI set ups.

I think the Kronos is the end of the line for flagship workstations.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Sadly, I think there is no future for workstations. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think there is enough of a market for a company like Korg to make back the R&D and product support costs.

While we love them, many musicians are going with the flexibility of laptop/VI set ups.

Danmusician' I think that the release and shipment of the new Nautilus workstation leads me to think that Korg still finds workstation viable.

Eric

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
danmusician wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Danmusician' I think that the release and shipment of the new Nautilus workstation leads me to think that Korg still finds workstation viable.

Eric

I agree with dan.

and the jury is still out on nautilus.

it has not shipped. it is not available .

and it may not sell in volume. simply, there is a ways to go for nautilus. there are unanswered questions.
kday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Sadly, I think there is no future for workstations.

Workstations are selling big right now, and always will sell good if not big.

It was reported that Korg, Yamaha and Roland were having banner years selling workstations or flagships this year.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
nitecrawler wrote:
danmusician wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Eric

I agree with dan.

and it may not sell in volume. simply, there is a ways to go for nautilus. there are unanswered questions.

FYI Greg, the Nautilus has delivered to shops in Canada, the UK and France already. ETA in the United States is any time now according to my sources. So, technically, it has shipped and in the hands of new owners. While some folks may question if it is a "workstation" that is exactly how the manufacturer Korg describes it. From the videos I have viewed, it surely seems to be a "workstation". It is different than Kronos yes but that does not negate its existence. Cool

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
GregC wrote:
nitecrawler wrote:
danmusician wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Eric

I agree with dan.

FYI Greg, the Nautilus has delivered to shops in Canada, the UK and France already. ETA in the United States is any time now according to my sources. So, technically, it has shipped and in the hands of new owners. While some folks may question if it is a "workstation" that is exactly how the manufacturer Korg describes it. From the videos I have viewed, it surely seems to be a "workstation". It is different than Kronos yes but that does not negate its existence. Cool

I stand corrected. My sources on " where is it ? " are Sweetwater and Kraft.

They were looking at shipping reports with data from the US distributor and there was not even an ETA on nautilus. We also had detailed discussions.

So obviously, things are fluid, it is encouraging to see Nautilus ship in Canada and France.

anyway, I have serious unanswered questions about Nautilus. I am hoping, over the next 2 months, we will see in depth professional reviews, where the reviewer goes deep diving under the hood of Nautilus.
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, may I suggest the Nautilus Facebook page as an additional resource for information. From some of the Nautilus sessions from Australia, while having less direct access buttons, menu diving is accomplished through the screen. I liked the multiple sequencers session. Most all access is similar to the Kronos. The main exceptions seem to be Karma, ribbon controller and direct access buttons. The sounds are very similar to Kronos as well as my old Oasys. There has been some refinements to some piano samples as well as additional prepared piano sounds. Once I receive my order, a 73 Nautilus, I will do some comparison to my Oasys. Curious to see if I can use ribbon controller, aftertouch, Karma and the eight touch pads thru midi on the Oasys to engage Nautilus. That would be best of both worlds sort to speak.

For me, it will be good to have a new workstation and its two year warranty in my studio. I had always felt that the Kronos, with its construction, a poor replacement for my Oasys and its construction quality. The proof of the Nautilus quality is yet to be seen. I will follow up with some insight when I have the ability for some side by side. Wink

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitecrawler wrote:
Greg, may I suggest the Nautilus Facebook page as an additional resource for information. From some of the Nautilus sessions from Australia, while having less direct access buttons, menu diving is accomplished through the screen. I liked the multiple sequencers session. Most all access is similar to the Kronos. The main exceptions seem to be Karma, ribbon controller and direct access buttons. The sounds are very similar to Kronos as well as my old Oasys. There has been some refinements to some piano samples as well as additional prepared piano sounds. Once I receive my order, a 73 Nautilus, I will do some comparison to my Oasys. Curious to see if I can use ribbon controller, aftertouch, Karma and the eight touch pads thru midi on the Oasys to engage Nautilus. That would be best of both worlds sort to speak.

For me, it will be good to have a new workstation and its two year warranty in my studio. I had always felt that the Kronos, with its construction, a poor replacement for my Oasys and its construction quality. The proof of the Nautilus quality is yet to be seen. I will follow up with some insight when I have the ability for some side by side. Wink

thanks for your post.

Here are the Nautilus questions that I have :

1) can the factory SSD be replaced ? 57 gig will fill up quickly as I am a studio/production musician

2) what is the exact status and workability of the "conversion " software ?
{ Kronos Programs, Combis, Songs to Nautilus

3) Familiar with the early Nautilus YouTubes. I posted them here.
I am waiting for the pro type reviews, where the user deep dives Nautilus.
And fully demonstrates the features.

Thanks
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos future replacement Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Actually they are funding new sound engines by first selling them as a stand alone product (wavestate, modwave, opsix, gadgets) and then porting them to th next high end workstation..

Which gives a workstation a different position from frontrunner (oasys) to a kind of best of collection
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its captain obvious that nothing will happen this year, 2021.

with that, we are crystal ball gazing into 2022 and beyond.

Lots can happen, 1 way or the other by 2022, and during 2022.

Korg does not work in a perfect vacuum. They are deeply impacted by chip and tech component shortages. They do not roll their own parts, like a Yamaha.

And no one can predict too far into the future. I know of no human that can predict 2022 circumstances with any degree of accuracy.

I don't agree or see that these $800 synth toys can be ki-boshed into a chassis with all the other necessary w/s features. These synth toys have to be properly
market tested , for example, as standalone. Seeing a photo, and a YouTube
is not much to go on. And there are dozens of other business factors to be understood.

As a realist , I take the hard line, esp due to lack of tangible details.

Don't think about it until late 2022 or early 2023.

I am the anti wishful thinker when it pertains to far future + $3000 keyboard products that appear complex, new , and relying on supply chain.

And you have to allow Nautilus to have an unencumbered 2 year run in the w/s marketplace.

If I was Pres of Korg, I would keep attention focused on Nautilus vs
distracting the very fickle niche-y and small marketplace with some other far out full featured w/s.

ITguy54

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

And you have to allow Nautilus to have an unencumbered 2 year run in the w/s marketplace.

distracting the very fickle niche-y and small marketplace with some other far out full featured w/s.

The purpose of the Nautilus might be offering the equivalent of a big price reduction on the Kronos without angering current Kronos owners. If so, the Nautilus, as a “cheaper Kronos”, wouldn’t need a 2 year run before a real Kronos replacement, because the replacement will cost substantially higher.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
GregC wrote:

The purpose of the Nautilus might be offering the equivalent of a big price reduction on the Kronos without angering current Kronos owners. If so, the Nautilus, as a “cheaper Kronos”, wouldn’t need a 2 year run before a real Kronos replacement, because the replacement will cost substantially higher.

" Kronos replacement " has been a twice a month topic of discussion/debate here for over 3 years.

And every year that goes by, Nada, nothing from Korg Inc.

The used Kronos marketplace is still lively. About 30 on eBay, 40 on reverb [ some listing duplication].

IMO, a very good condition Kronos, with a fair price is a consideration for the non Kronos owner.

I know some folks like a shiny new keyboard and are willing to fork over $2000- $2700 for Nautilus. And many are solidly in the " Korg camp " no matter what Korg does, yr after yr.

Thus, as long as Kronos is mantinaing a presence in the marketplace, even if selling slowly, Korg is in no hurry to roll the dice . And there is a long list of "friction ' for any advanced $4000 W/s development. Component shortage, chip shortage, software options, etc etc.

I say its way out there for a few years , if not at all. Not the wishful thinker here and history does not accurately repeat every 10 or so years. This is not the Korg of 1990, its not the Korg of 2010. The 2021 Korg has adapted and evolved in their own way.

Lets see if Nautilus gets some traction in the very fickle and niche-y w/s marketplace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: