Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tempted to get a Wavestate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mellontikos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

Based on the Youtube vids I've seen, this thing is basically a Wavestation on massive steroids. It sounds like someone took a Wavestation, smashed it with a Triton Extreme, and this was the result.

It looks like a fun board for "noodling", but does it have any actual use in music production? I guess if your production requires a bunch of esoteric metallic sounding bell and pad rhythms/sequences it might be useful.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you are after. Smile

I have purchased it as an evolving pad monster for ambient music, and for that it is so inspirational

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

Mellontikos wrote:
Based on the Youtube vids I've seen, this thing is basically a Wavestation on massive steroids. It sounds like someone took a Wavestation, smashed it with a Triton Extreme, and this was the result.

It looks like a fun board for "noodling", but does it have any actual use in music production? I guess if your production requires a bunch of esoteric metallic sounding bell and pad rhythms/sequences it might be useful.

based on all the youtube videos is seems like it's perfect only for wavesequenced sounds, but it's a not only a wavesequence synth. It can also be used as a four layer substractive synth.

I created quite a few ordinary synth sounds for standard use in my songs. You simply switch the layer to a multisample sound or a one sample gated sound and then you can select one of the many included (stereo) samples for that layer. Then you have full control including an insane amount of modulation for that specific sample.

You can assign up to four layers for your own sounds. I created funky basslines, analog leads, solo instruments and other type of sounds for my own use. So it's definitely possible.

Here's an example of some ordinary trance sounds which i created in my learning process of how to program the wavestate.

Mellontikos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
Mellontikos wrote:

based on all the youtube videos is seems like it's perfect only for wavesequenced sounds, but it's a not only a wavesequence synth. It can also be used as a four layer substractive synth.

I created quite a few ordinary synth sounds for standard use in my songs. You simply switch the layer to a multisample sound or a one sample gated sound and then you can select one of the many included (stereo) samples for that layer. Then you have full control including an insane amount of modulation for that specific sample.

You can assign up to four layers for your own sounds. I created funky basslines, analog leads, solo instruments and other type of sounds for my own use. So it's definitely possible.

Here's an example of some ordinary trance sounds which i created in my learning process of how to program the wavestate.

That's quite an amazing demo.

I wish Korg (or Yamaha or someone) would make something with the capability of the Wavestate, but actually be a damn Arranger, like the Tyros.

I have a Tyros because I can essentially have an entire orchestra following me anywhere I want, but I am severely limited by it's severe lack of editing ability.

Make a synth with Arranger function like the Tyros, or Genos, with the insane ability to program your patterns a-la Wavestate, and these things would sell out like hotcakes. Heck, I would not hesitate even a second to buy one.

Most Arrangers are seen as old people territory, which is terrible because when I play mine live, I completely blow everyone away. I get line ups of people wanting to see this thing. They can't believe the sound out of what looks like a home keyboard.

If I get the Wavestate, it would be a nice addition to the Tyros, but limited in actual live persformance scope (and even in use with a DAW)
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

Mellontikos wrote:

I wish Korg (or Yamaha or someone) would make something with the capability of the Wavestate, but actually be a damn Arranger, like the Tyros.

I have a Tyros because I can essentially have an entire orchestra following me anywhere I want, but I am severely limited by it's severe lack of editing ability.

Make a synth with Arranger function like the Tyros, or Genos, with the insane ability to program your patterns a-la Wavestate, and these things would sell out like hotcakes. Heck, I would not hesitate even a second to buy one.

Most Arrangers are seen as old people territory, which is terrible because when I play mine live, I completely blow everyone away. I get line ups of people wanting to see this thing. They can't believe the sound out of what looks like a home keyboard.

If I get the Wavestate, it would be a nice addition to the Tyros, but limited in actual live persformance scope (and even in use with a DAW)

i also have a genos and a korg pa4x, the genos (and tyros 5) can easily be expanded with your own programmed sounds from other synths. I've done it several times.

The korg pa4x has a substractive synthesizer on board and also supports a basic form of wavesequencing.

There are multiple demos on my youtube channel that shows how to use arrangers with expanded sounds.

Here's an example where i play an Above and Beyond song on the Genos. (the virus ti sounds are now added to my genos by the way, this is done through samplerobot 6 pro which does most of the work converting sounds from one synth to another)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kef2qOquHzI
Mellontikos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
Mellontikos wrote:

i also have a genos and a korg pa4x, the genos (and tyros 5) can easily be expanded with your own programmed sounds from other synths. I've done it several times.

The korg pa4x has a substractive synthesizer on board and also supports a basic form of wavesequencing.

There are multiple demos on my youtube channel that shows how to use arrangers with expanded sounds.

Here's an example where i play an Above and Beyond song on the Genos. (the virus ti sounds are now added to my genos by the way, this is done through samplerobot 6 pro which does most of the work converting sounds from one synth to another)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kef2qOquHzI

Sample Robot huh?

I've done the same: copy a bunch of my favorite 01/W and SY99 sounds to the Tyros flash, but I painstakingly did it the manual way (recorded the originals in 8 layers using Reason, then use Audacity and Wavesaur to create the loops, and manually assign them to the Tyros by noting the original recorded key velocities.

Are you saying there's a better way?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

Mellontikos wrote:

Sample Robot huh?

I've done the same: copy a bunch of my favorite 01/W and SY99 sounds to the Tyros flash, but I painstakingly did it the manual way (recorded the originals in 8 layers using Reason, then use Audacity and Wavesaur to create the loops, and manually assign them to the Tyros by noting the original recorded key velocities.

yes,
sample robot can do all these things including auto looping. It saves a lot of work to sample your sounds and convert them to the synth / keyboard of your choice.
Mellontikos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
Mellontikos wrote:

Sample Robot huh?

yes,
sample robot can do all these things including auto looping. It saves a lot of work to sample your sounds and convert them to the synth / keyboard of your choice.

Nice software. Pricey, lol.

I'm somewhat retired from live gigging, and basically everything now is just for hobby. I'm probably going to sell most of my stuff, but I'll keep the Tyros 4, and tempted to keep the SY99 and 01/W
michelet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempted to get a Wavestate Reply with quote

Mellontikos wrote:

I've been using WaveState since Novermber 24th, 2020 and I'm not completely satisfied. As a former Wavestation A/D user I understood the vast capabilities of the WaveState but I still feel confused. Even though there are several physical controllers Iěm not able to figure out the whole picture and it's like being inside a maze.
I strongly hope an editor will be released as soon as possible.
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most helpful functions (for me) when working with the Wavestate is the ability to filter the mod matrix routings list. This will save time and your sanity. That and learning the navigation button combos can help immensely.

Goof luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: