Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X to Cubase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
methusala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: PA4X to Cubase Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just looked at this site for the first time.

Simple question really.

Can you connect the PA4X Arranger to Cubase ? A USB cable or if not, how? I areaady have the OASYS to Cubase and a PA4X connection to Cubase would be wonderful.

I think the 4x is absolutely phenomenal.

Thanks,
Patrick
jpires

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Pax to cubase Reply with quote

Yes you can, i use it everyday.
Download the PA4x midi driver and USB cable would do just fine.
JP
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, see chapter on Midi in User Manual , you may want to change some settings on the Pa4X.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: PA4X to Cubase Reply with quote

methusala wrote:
Hi,

I've just looked at this site for the first time.

Simple question really.

Can you connect the PA4X Arranger to Cubase ? A USB cable or if not, how? I areaady have the OASYS to Cubase and a PA4X connection to Cubase would be wonderful.

I think the 4x is absolutely phenomenal.

Thanks,
Patrick
Yes, you can connect your Pa4X to Cubase with just a USB cable and no need for any driver if you're using mac.
methusala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I'm off to hunt the 4X. Wonderful combination with the Oasys
Patrick
Nemydom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pax to cubase Reply with quote

jpires wrote:
Yes you can, i use it everyday.
Download the PA4x midi driver and USB cable would do just fine.
JP

I would like to extend the topic starter's question.
What exactly do I need to do (what kind of special preps), to be able to record a performance, using a style to separate midi tracks, to ensure the playback sounds exactly the same on PA4X?
I had a negative experience in the past, when such a recording from an arranger to PC didn't sound exactly the same, as the initial sound on the arranger.

To clarify, I mean the recording:
PA4X (playing a style, probably recorded on PA4x) > midi>PC
Editing some notes, say in the style's bass or drums
Playing back:
PC>midi>PA4X(probably in a special mode)
Need to get exactly the same sound from the PA4X, including the effects, same instruments, levels etc, (only difference is the edited notes)

I do understand, the difficulties can be related to SYSex, but the question is "if anybody managed to do that without a glitch?"
I have had so much headache with other arrangers in the past trying to manage this, so I had to give up and don't want to try again, unless someone would say: Yes, it is possible, just do it in such and such way. I would really appreciate it if you share your experience.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pax to cubase Reply with quote

Nemydom wrote:
.. What exactly do I need to do (what kind of special preps), to be able to record a performance, using a style to separate midi tracks, to ensure the playback sounds exactly the same on PA4X?
I had a negative experience in the past, when such a recording from an arranger to PC didn't sound exactly the same, as the initial sound on the arranger. ....

The initial sound of the Pa4x you only get with a Pa4x.
If you recorded sequences of Pa4x via DAW and use the tone generator of the Pa4x to play them, Pa4x does not care whether it is controlled by midi events from its own keyboard or by midi events from an external sequencer.

If Pa4x tone generator is operated with the same settings, it does not sound different - regardless of whether it receives its midi events from the integrated keyboard or from an external sequencer via MIDI. It is also irrelevant if note events are changed for this, because its parameters (pitch, velocity, pitch, etc.) do not change the sound, only the parameters of the note event.

So it is due to the settings that have to be the same for recording and playback so that the same sound can be heard.

If the sound or effect settings of tracks have been changed manually, automatically or via SysEx, or if they are different from the recording, then it must also sound different during playback. Otherwise you get the same sound with Pa4x.

I you had a negative experience in the past with recording and did not get the sound exactly the same, you did not use the same settings (sound programs, effects, volumes, track parameters) of Pa4x or some of midi events may be filtered (expression, aftertouch etc).
If you need the initial sound of the arranger then record audio output of Pa4x.
If you want to change any notes afterwards, reserve a midi file from the recording, change the midi file and record the changed sequences as audio again, so that it will sound like the Pa4x.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: