Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nautilus RAM question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Track 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Nautilus RAM question Reply with quote

The Nautilus has the same 2GB of RAM as the Kronos, but it looks like less of it is actually available after PRELOAD.KSC fires up (see specs below).

What are the consequences of this? Would it make Karo/KApro libraries harder to use, assuming they will even be available for the Nautilus?

Will it affect audio recording, such as with more ticks and pops, if there's less DSP headroom under load?

I see also that the Nautilus has more presets and samples. Is this why there's less RAM available? I wonder if it's a worthy trade-off. I've been thinking of getting a Nautilus 61 but might change course and get a Kronos 2 61 if it means having more RAM. I currently have an original Kronos 73 and have decided to downsize to some kind of 61.

Kronos

Capacity of PCM RAM: Approx. 2GB *4

*4: The memory available for RAM samples will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries. About 1,129 MB is available when shipped from the factory (when loading the file named "PRELOAD.KSC").

Preset PCM: 314 MB (ROM 1,505 multisamples, 1,388 drum samples)

Nautilus

PCM RAM Capacity: Approx. 2GB *4

*4: The memory available for Sampling Mode will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries and User Sample Banks. Approx. 760 MB is available when shipped from the factory (When loading the file named "PRELOAD.KSC").

Preset PCM: RAM 496 MB / DISK 2.3G (ROM 1,771 Multisamples, 3,955 Drumsamples)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this flew right by me... only 2 gig ? You are reading correctly.

I see it as a serious limit.

4 gig vs 2 gig definitely should be discussed.

I am 95% sure Korg does not want Nautilus owners trying to improve on internal components.
Track 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Or do you mean 3 vs. 2? I recall that the Kronos can read only 3 even if you install 4. Is this still the case?

Either way, the Kronos has more available RAM than the stock Nautilus, even without any upgrading. I don't recall now what PRELOAD.KSC is. Could it be disabled to free up RAM? Or reduced in size?

I received confirmation from Korg that the Karo, KApro, and other sound libraries will be available for the Nautilus. But how limited will their use be with less accessible RAM?

My Kronos still has the stock 2GB and runs EXs 51 with little trouble. However, if the Nautilus' 2GB is shrunk from the start, I wonder what the implications would be for running the same EXs or a larger one.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
GregC wrote:

Or do you mean 3 vs. 2? I recall that the Kronos can read only 3 even if you install 4. Is this still the case?

Either way, the Kronos has more available RAM than the stock Nautilus, even without any upgrading. I don't recall now what PRELOAD.KSC is. Could it be disabled to free up RAM? Or reduced in size?

I received confirmation from Korg that the Karo, KApro, and other sound libraries will be available for the Nautilus. But how limited will their use be with less accessible RAM?

My Kronos still has the stock 2GB and runs EXs 51 with little trouble. However, if the Nautilus' 2GB is shrunk from the start, I wonder what the implications would be for running the same EXs or a larger one.

I mentioned 4 gig since I did a ' matched pair ' in my Kronos 1.

Kronos 1 also had 2 gig from the factory. So I matched the spec with another
2 gig RAM stick,

Doesn't make much diff, 3 gig vs 4 gig RAM.
32 bit addressable is really the limiting factor here.

Lots of discussion here on RAM- for Kronos
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7, I'm not sure where you pulled the Kronos spec from. The current spec for the Kronos reads the same as the Nautilus. Be aware that the spec for PCM RAM Capacity has changed over the years based on what instruments are included. For example, the Kronos 2 includes (and loads) the Berlin Grand which wasn't available in the original and X. Some of the special editions add the Italian Grand as well. All of this impacts boot time and the amount of available RAM.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/kronos2/page_2.php

Kronos
Approx. 2GB *4
*4: The memory available for Sampling Mode will change based on the use of Expansion PCM libraries and User Sample Banks. Approx. 760 MB is available when shipped from the factory (When loading the file named “PRELOAD.KSC”).

The Kronos has shipped with a full complement of RAM since the X. Of the 4GB, only a little over 3GB is available due to the limitations of the 32-bit OS. Of that 3GB, approx. 1GB is used by the OS and the Preset PCM or "ROM." That leaves ~2 GB available. If you do a Clear All of RAM you will have 1.9GB available for loading samples into RAM. Because the Kronos uses virtual RAM (SSD streaming of samples) that 1.9GB is more like 20-25GB of samples.

The Nautilus appears to have the exact same physical specs, i.e. full 4GB of RAM.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com

Last edited by burningbusch on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Track 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busch, thanks for clearing this up! I inadvertently grabbed the specs from the legacy page for the Kronos X:

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/kronos_x/page_5.php

So are you saying that the Nautilus ships with the same physical RAM as an "upgraded" Kronos -- i.e., 4GB? Of which closer to 2GB is available?

I'm not too concerned with the numbers. I'm just wondering about performance with EXs libraries and audio recording should I opt for a Nautilus over a Kronos 2.

If they are equally capable, I might go with the Nautilus, unless I decide I really want Karma and the extra panel controls of the Kronos. And those wooden end caps are nice too but maybe not worth the extra price.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:

PRESET PCM includes samples that always load when the Kronos/Nautilus boots. You cannot change this. It is larger on the Nautilus because it includes select samples that used to be in EXs1 - 5. On the Kronos, the select samples from EXs 1 - 5 were loaded as part of PRELOAD.KSC.

PRELOAD.KSC includes samples found in the EXs Expansion Libraries (EXs 301 - 314 on the Nautilus). As a user, you have complete control over what you want in PRELOAD. If, for example, you don't especially like one of the large pianos you can create your own version of PRELOAD.KSC that doesn't include that piano. You will save on RAM used and boot time. Of course, if you go to any programs that use that piano, they won't sound properly or at all. But also remember, you can use the "Load Required Samples" option to quickly load in those samples for that session.

I would not be concerned about differences in available RAM between the Kronos and the Nautilus.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.

Last edited by burningbusch on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Track 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks again. Sounds like it's a matter of price and aesthetics. Not to mention availability. I'll be watching for Nautilus ship dates in the U.S.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCM RAM Capacity Approx. 2GB *4

thats for the Nautilus from the Korg site
Track 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Right, that's in my first post. But the Kronos has the same spec, with no mention of 4GB. I see the Nautilus appears not to be expandable. Still confused about this, but if I've gotten by with 2GB for 10 years, I figure the Nautilus' 2GB will suffice as long as I can manage PRELOAD.KSC, as Busch explains above.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
GregC wrote:

Still confused about this, but if I've gotten by with 2GB for 10 years, I figure the Nautilus' 2GB will suffice as long as I can manage PRELOAD.KSC, as Busch explains above.

As long as you don't use third party samples sounds, yes, you don't mind.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
GregC wrote:

Right, that's in my first post. But the Kronos has the same spec, with no mention of 4GB. I see the Nautilus appears not to be expandable. Still confused about this, but if I've gotten by with 2GB for 10 years, I figure the Nautilus' 2GB will suffice as long as I can manage PRELOAD.KSC, as Busch explains above.

Do not worry. The Nautilus has max RAM installed. It has the same as the Kronos. Specs at the Korg site read exactly the same. 2GB RAM installed gives you only ~1GB of usable RAM after OS and "ROM." It wouldn't be able to load all the samples that load with 2GB RAM installed. Simply not possible.

Busch.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from January 2017:

"The Kronos only uses 3GB RAM. 1GB of this is used for the operating system and the ROM sample data, leaving 2GB to be shared between EXs sample data, user sample banks and sampling mode. "

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=710917&sid=93770036d6b62fab38d48bc691e27a75
Track 7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Do not worry. The Nautilus has max RAM installed. It has the same as the Kronos. Specs at the Korg site read exactly the same. 2GB RAM installed gives you only ~1GB of usable RAM after OS and "ROM." It wouldn't be able to load all the samples that load with 2GB RAM installed. Simply not possible.

Busch.

Thanks, Busch, but isn't the Kronos upgradable to 3GB? Isn't there a second, empty slot for increasing it beyond original spec? Or did that go away with Kronos 2? I have the original Kronos and seem to recall this option. I see from another thread that it's unclear whether Nautilus does too.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
burningbusch wrote:

Busch.

Thanks, Busch, but isn't the Kronos upgradable to 3GB? Isn't there a second, empty slot for increasing it beyond original spec? Or did that go away with Kronos 2? I have the original Kronos and seem to recall this option. I see from another thread that it's unclear whether Nautilus does too.

It went away with the Kronos X (2012). The Kronos X included the full 4GB RAM installed, 3GB usable limit imposed by the 32-bit OS. All Kronos after that came with 4GB RAM installed, 3GB usable limit. The reason you see 2GB on the Nautilus and all the Kronos specs (excluding the original), is that with the 3GB usable limit, the OS and ROM take up ~1GB leaving you with 2GB.

Busch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: