Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Balancing style and Right hand Voices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bernie9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Balancing style and Right hand Voices Reply with quote

The live balance knob is great for real time adjustments, but what is the best way to balance accompaniment and solo parts when first setting up a registration? The balance knob doesn't seem to be memorized,
Hammond SK1
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct - the balance control is not remembered.
You need to adjust the volumes of the parts and then write the SONGBOOK entry.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernie9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, no big deal, but I was hoping I was wrong.
Hammond SK1
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Balancing style and Right hand Voices Reply with quote

Bernie9 wrote:
The live balance knob is great for real time adjustments, but what is the best way to balance accompaniment and solo parts when first setting up a registration? The balance knob doesn't seem to be memorized,

One thing that you can do is create your Keyboard Sets with a uniform volume level for the Right hand voices and then remember a 'Global' position for the Balance knob while in Style/Song Mode.

I have a PA700 and use it as my main songwriting tool, main instrument in a duo I am in, and exclusively at nursing homes. What I have done is create the different keyboard sets I need for all of the songs and create them with a uniform volume level for the Upper 1,2,3 parts. After turning on the PA700 at a nursing home gig, I will move the Balance knob to the right one position (so it is at 11 O'Clock) and virtually every time, the levels are right between the Upper voices and the backing style tracks.

You can also use the Songbook feature, as was suggested above.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handy trick to try when occasionally playing with another musician is to move the balance slightly towards the backing. Got to make audio room for that extra musician, you know! Cool

Always create your setups with the balance right in the middle. That way, if you need to make a global change, it's set once and forget it, rather than having to adjust for each song. This, of course, depends on the volumes of the styles and sequences remaining, consistent. If you find yourself always turning up or down particular songs or styles, now's the time to go into the editor and permanently adjust the offending Parts. Then it's back to 'set it and forget it'!
Bernie9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it now. I always keep balance on 11:00, also, for headroom, but occasionally, would play and older registration as a request and would have to scramble. Since I know the balance isn't memorized, I will make sure of the balance on all, and won't be far off at 11:00 under normal circumstances.

Thank you both for the help.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
keithwjones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me sometime to work this out as well.

Keith
Bernie9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith
Hammond SK1
keithwjones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered that I read this recently on a FB group.

Sound level is based on the scale 0-127, which starts at -64 and ends at +63.

This means that the actual zero point (center value) is 64, and not 100.

With 64 as the zero point, you can adjust the same amount both ways - 64 down and 63 up (64 + 63 = 127).

The weakest instruments thus get the maximum opportunity for reinforcement, while the strongest get the maximum opportunity for minimization.

Many people have probably noticed that the voices of the right hand often do not get enough reinforcement, and this is due to incorrect center value for style parts.

If this is set to 64, you will never experience problems with the right hand voices becoming too low.

So simply you set Lower and Upper 1, 2 and 3 sound level all to 64 to start and then adjust from that position.

You can do this for all sound levels.

When I read this it all started to make sense to me.

Keith
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you might want to be cautious of is setting volumes while you are playing...

We ALL tend to want to hear what we are playing nice and clearly to help us judge timing and note choice, but that often results in us playing OUR stuff a little bit too loud. You can hear this in user demo after demo after demo...

The real trick is to play about as strongly as you normally do (to make sure you don’t compensate later by simply playing harder) and record a sequence of the whole thing. Then play it back and try to see if you aren’t swamping the backing a bit. Be critical, maybe listen to a few pro CD’s to get an idea of where you ought to sit IN the mix. Then adjust the sequence’s keyboard Parts’ volumes until it sounds its best. Make a note of how far you turned YOUR Parts down, and copy those to the setup...

Now play it again. You’ll probably feel that you are playing a hair too quiet, but you’ll know that, from the audience perspective, you’re perfect! Record a second time, just to make sure you aren’t whacking the keys harder to get back to where you initially were! If not, you are good to go....

An upside to this is you often end up hearing the drums and other rhythm instruments a bit better, which will help you stay ‘in the pocket’ and not rush or drag... 😎
Bernie9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many factors here that I had taken for granted. I shall use this valuable information. Thank you.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: