Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd Keyboard to compliment 88 key Nautilus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico88

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: 2nd Keyboard to compliment 88 key Nautilus Reply with quote

I have had my beloved M50-88 for 15 years and have decided to upgrade to a Nautilus. Hopefully later this year I will be in a position to afford one. Certainly the Nautilus seems great value for money when compared to the Kronos.
As a piano pianist & synth player I cannot imagine life without 88 weighted keys, and the RH3 keybed is superb.
However, even my mighty M50 needed a couple of friends on stage, and I am also needing to replace my Triton Le61. Again, the Triton was/is incredible but she is very old, battered, unreliable and ready for retirement from gigs.

I still have my Phrophecy for ripping audience's faces off, but I want something different to go alongside the Nautilus. Needs to be 73-ish notes, but minimum 61 would work, but certainly needs to be lighter synth keys for organ work and synth solos etc.
Budget for 2nd synth circa £700.
I want Roland or Yamaha - and had spent some time looking at JUNO DS and MODX series keyboards just to get some extra variety.
What would the members here recommend? I've even considered the excellent Roland VR organ combo's, especially the 730 with waterfall keys but it would never compare to the wide range of textures and features of my mighty Triton.

Any suggestions?
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd Keyboard to compliment 88 key Nautilus Reply with quote

nico88 wrote:
I have had my beloved M50-88 for 15 years and have decided to upgrade to a Nautilus. Hopefully later this year I will be in a position to afford one. Certainly the Nautilus seems great value for money when compared to the Kronos.
As a piano pianist & synth player I cannot imagine life without 88 weighted keys, and the RH3 keybed is superb.
However, even my mighty M50 needed a couple of friends on stage, and I am also needing to replace my Triton Le61. Again, the Triton was/is incredible but she is very old, battered, unreliable and ready for retirement from gigs.

I still have my Phrophecy for ripping audience's faces off, but I want something different to go alongside the Nautilus. Needs to be 73-ish notes, but minimum 61 would work, but certainly needs to be lighter synth keys for organ work and synth solos etc.
I want Roland or Yamaha - and had spent some time looking at JUNO DS and MODX series keyboards just to get some extra variety.
What would the members here recommend? I've even considered the excellent Roland VR organ combo's, especially the 730 with waterfall keys but it would never compare to the wide range of textures and features of my mighty Triton.

Any suggestions?

The Modx 6 is a beast.. it really is, with all the bells and whistles of the Montage..

The only reason i can think of not buying it, is that both your keyboards would lack aftertouch..

Also the sound character adds something extra to the Korg. Where the Modx shines is acoustic solo instruments like woods, winds, strings, guitars...

Another incredible feature of the modx 6 is its arpeggiators combined with motion sequencing.
lmatonement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd Keyboard to compliment 88 key Nautilus Reply with quote

nico88 wrote:

Any suggestions?

I'm super fresh to this scene, so please lean toward disregarding anything I type.

I can't imagine anything you would want from another synthesizer that Nautilus can't do. If you want a second keyboard, get a midi keyboard and feed it into the Nautilus. If you're by yourself, based on your post, you're actually seeking another synthesizer. What are you wanting that the Nautilus can't do easily?
nico88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Second Keyboard Reply with quote

Essentially it is the difference in touch - I like the 88 keys on the M50, and I know the Nautilus also has RH3 keys, so this covers most of what I play. But I also like light keys - my Triton is the perfect example. I am looking at Waterfall keys like the Roland VR-730, just for the change of touch needed for organ and synth solos.

I understand that the Nautilus has stacks more polyphony than the M50 had, and I currently run out of polyphony with the complex combis that I create. I have become pretty good at layers and splits, and I often use most of the keyboard. And when I run out of notes it is great to have a second keyboard.

I agree, I hope the Nautilus will at least reduce me down to 2 keyboards from my current 3. Currently I use M50-88, Triton Le61, and Korg Prophecy for lead sounds. This is the combination of keyboards I am looking to replace.
lmatonement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Second Keyboard Reply with quote

nico88 wrote:
I understand that the Nautilus has stacks more polyphony than the M50 had, and I currently run out of polyphony with the complex combis that I create.

You run out of polyphony on M50 or Nautilus?

nico88 wrote:
Essentially it is the difference in touch - I like the 88 keys on the M50, and I know the Nautilus also has RH3 keys, so this covers most of what I play. But I also like light keys - my Triton is the perfect example.

Then I reiterate: the cheapest way to meet this need is to add a midi keyboard with as little capability as possible. Get the best keybed you can find with midi capability and patch it into your Nautilus Very Happy

Anyway, good luck and happy performing.
nico88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Second Keyboard Reply with quote

Sorry - I meant I run out of polyphony on the M50, and I expect/hope that the Nautilus will be much better than the M50 (haven't bought mine yet).

If I patch another slave keyboard into the Nautilus - does this also reduce the overall polyphony or if I use different channels to do this is the polyphony restored?
lmatonement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Keyboard Reply with quote

nico88 wrote:
Sorry - I meant I run out of polyphony on the M50, and I expect/hope that the Nautilus will be much better than the M50 (haven't bought mine yet).

If I patch another slave keyboard into the Nautilus - does this also reduce the overall polyphony or if I use different channels to do this is the polyphony restored?

I don't have this set up, but I expect the polyphony is shared. I'm not very well-versed at this, but here's a thread that might be helpful http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83602&sid=d604aebef3f85eb2d960741ac0e4f01a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: